Nomad EVERYWHERE!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyuubs

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

So this is actually my second intro post, but I feel it is still appropriate.  :p

A little bit about me:

I am a web designer living by the border in Arizona.  I moved here from Massachusetts to get out of the rat race, so I could start working on making this lifestyle sustainable for myself.  Came here with what I had, then my car caught on fire in a Walmart parking lot in Tucson, so I caught a ride on an RV to the town I am in now so I could rebuild my new lifestyle.  I made a push 2 years ago to get on the road, but it did not work out (didn't have the income) so I put my nose to the grindstone on round 2.  I have truly believed in this lifestyle for almost 5 years now, and wanted to live it, but life got in the way.  Since I made the decision, I have I kept making baby steps until the point where I was ready to live my life on the road, and be confident in doing it.  Which, I am PROUD to say, is NOW!

I am doing this because I truly believe in the answer to our current society is to live frugally.  I do not believe in fighting for change, I believe in BEING the change, and leading by example.  As Randy Vinnings said, "They got no hold on me!"

So here I am.  5 years later, and I finally found my RV.  Falcor.

819oFpW.jpg

He is a '77 Dodge Midas in beautiful shape, that I am working on converting to my own needs.  I can't even explain how happy I am to say I am typing this from inside my office, which I have built into it.

Now, enough about me, heres why I want to do this.

We NEED to start living more sustainably in this world, be it in nomadic living, sustainable communes, or whatever new amazing paradigm we can come up with.  When I hit the road, I will be launching a project called Nomad Everywhere to help others figure it all out, and to share their experiences in figuring it all out

http://nomadeverywhere.com/

I plan on creating a social media system FOR us, based on education and the sharing of information, and I will be HAPPY to give you a free blog when it launches if you are on the road, or living by some other alternative means.  I want to encourage us to share more amongst each other.  We need to start thinking, and living differently to change this world.  Lets get radical, lets challenge the norm ;)

I love you all so much I can't even express it, thank you for inspiring me to be a better person  :heart:

See you in Quartzsite if you are going! I will be there in January to make the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous!

Congratulations!!! Hi and re-Welcome! See you at the RTR. :)

Welcome. Midas is a very solid unit. Our first camper in the late 80's was a Midas pop-up we bought out of a neighbor's yard. It was about 15 years old and we thought it was just the most wonderful thing we ever saw. It wouldn't surprise me if it is still out there somewhere. Other than the canvas, it was solid as a rock which I cannot say for most of the manufacturer's building today. From time to time, I see the Midas pop up in the classified sections. Best wishes in your adventure.

Welcome aboard,,,,,,,,that's a clean looking old rig.
Hope your new lifestyle in it is all you hope for.

OK , now , how about some pics of the INSIDE !

Adversity seems to have made you that much stronger in your determination to live your dream. Hope all is smooth sailing from this point on.

We do, as you know, a LOT of sharing on this forum. But the more ways to spread the radical idea of living both mobile and frugally the better. We even have at least one tiny house couple here!

kyuubs said:
I am a web designer living by the border in Arizona.

Please don't take this wrong, but are you a designer or a developer? In other words: Are you mostly front-end or back-end. If the latter, what do you use? Basic framework, language, etc. I have been thinking we need a Wiki, of sorts to organize a lot of the information that people keep having to ask about over and over again. However, just a wiki wouldn't handle some of the database-ish information, like real-world mpg of various configurations of vehicles. So I was thinking of setting up a Drupal site.

If I did so, I would make Bob the offer of setting it up to APPEAR to be a component of this site. There is lots of info that can be "harvested" out of all these posts, but I wouldn't do so to put that info on what was, or even aappeared to be, a competing site.

I am a former network manager, turned Computer Science student and technical writer (though, life has left me working a craptastic job in an office). Organizing information is my forte. While I have some experience setting up web sites, I am by no means a "designer." I can create a well organized site, but it won't be pretty. I can specify user experience (UX) features, but I can't currently code for them. I'm hoping Drupal would cover most of what I would need.

Congratulations on your rig!!!
That is wonderful. What a great ideas. And I agree with you whole heartedly.

BE THE CHANGE and influence others positively.

@Stephson - Glad you got the name reference!  Falcor is the good luck dragon in my Neverending Story, and he is going to help me fight the "nothing" =)

@Snow Gypsy - SO glad to hear that!  I was actually slightly apprehensive in purchasing an older RV.  I really like the layout of the Midas (I like rear instead of mid or front door, wanted a small RV too).  This one only has 64k miles and 1 owner, which is awesome, it is in awesome shape - all the original stuff works!!!  Its really cool living in an RV that is older than I am

@WriterMs - Pretty much, adversity has shown me the way to true purpose and living with intention.

@palebluedot <3 So much yes, BE THE CHANGE!!!

@Grant - I am very firmly a designer,  I put local business owners on the internet, maintain all the tech stuff they don't understand, and support them if they want to grow further.  I started my business so I could have an income doing this 4 years ago, and honestly it is going to slow down soon when I hit the road.  Got my clients, love em, and I really don't want any more money than I am already making.

I would really recommend approaching that idea from an entirely different angle.  Doing it that way, you are looking at a lot more work with a lot less functionality.  I primarily work with PHP based CMS systems, and I prefer WordPress over everything.  

There are several great open source wikis already out there, why try to reinvent the wheel?  I would be happy to talk about a project like that with you and offer whatever advice I can (Shoot me a PM on Facebook or something - its in my profile), but honestly I do not have the time to put any work into that right now.

As far as my website goes - it is a project of love and I am only seeking to ADD value to the nomad community.  To help connect us further, spread new knowledge, inspire new ideas and to help new people see how easy and amazing this lifestyle is.  I make enough money to live my life very comfortably through my business - this is me using my skill set to give back to something I love and believe in.  There will be no ads or even donations accepted, it will be paid for out of my business profits.  I am actually want to help show more nomads how they can make money on the internet, and give them the setup to do so for free, because I want to hear your stories and I would love to see you make money off it.  Thats why I will be giving free blogs on the site.  It will be totally different than this site in what it offers, and what its objective is.  This is a forum/blog, I am making a social site (think Facebook without the BS + free blogs + user events and maps) 

I do not view it as a competition.  Actually, I want to get away from that capitalist mentality.  There is PLENTY of room for everyone to make money on the internet, and it is expanding far more than anyone can imagine.  I actually want to give Bob some easy tips on how he could improve this website and make more money off it.  Conceptually, I think its "The more the merrier!" as far as the internet goes, the more original content creators we have running sites and inspiring people - the better.

We all love interior pictures,  so here ya go!!!  I will be documenting the entire thing as I go, the idea is complete transparency here :p

kulEMJj.jpg
pFkSK30.jpg

lBaqrDK.jpg
DJDSQFJ.jpg

kyuubs said:
Hey Everyone!

So this is actually my second intro post, but I feel it is still appropriate.  :p

A little bit about me:

I am a web designer living by the border in Arizona.  I moved here from Massachusetts to get out of the rat race, so I could start working on making this lifestyle sustainable for myself.  Came here with what I had, then my car caught on fire in a Walmart parking lot in Tucson, so I caught a ride on an RV to the town I am in now so I could rebuild my new lifestyle.  I made a push 2 years ago to get on the road, but it did not work out (didn't have the income) so I put my nose to the grindstone on round 2.  I have truly believed in this lifestyle for almost 5 years now, and wanted to live it, but life got in the way.  Since I made the decision, I have I kept making baby steps until the point where I was ready to live my life on the road, and be confident in doing it.  Which, I am PROUD to say, is NOW!

I am doing this because I truly believe in the answer to our current society is to live frugally.  I do not believe in fighting for change, I believe in BEING the change, and leading by example.  As Randy Vinnings said, "They got no hold on me!"

So here I am.  5 years later, and I finally found my RV.  Falcor.

819oFpW.jpg

He is a '77 Dodge Midas in beautiful shape, that I am working on converting to my own needs.  I can't even explain how happy I am to say I am typing this from inside my office, which I have built into it.

Now, enough about me, heres why I want to do this.

We NEED to start living more sustainably in this world, be it in nomadic living, sustainable communes, or whatever new amazing paradigm we can come up with.  When I hit the road, I will be launching a project called Nomad Everywhere to help others figure it all out, and to share their experiences in figuring it all out

http://nomadeverywhere.com/

I plan on creating a social media system FOR us, based on education and the sharing of information, and I will be HAPPY to give you a free blog when it launches if you are on the road, or living by some other alternative means.  I want to encourage us to share more amongst each other.  We need to start thinking, and living differently to change this world.  Lets get radical, lets challenge the norm ;)

I love you all so much I can't even express it, thank you for inspiring me to be a better person  :heart:

See you in Quartzsite if you are going! I will be there in January to make the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous!

I am feeling your love and the wonderful vibe you are sharing. Thank you. I am a newbie here looking to connect with the new family I am building.

Yes! Yes!! "I do not believe in fighting for change, I believe in BEING the change, and leading by example. As Randy Vinnings said, "They got no hold on me!" Yes! Yes!!

Welcome and i am glad u fund your new home. I agree with u on your comments. It's possible to live one with nature with a  positive attitudes and get rid off all the negative.

Moved into the local RV park for a test run.  I am now affectionately known as the crazy one with the roof-patio.  Lovin' the view :D

2015_11_22_13_39_12.jpg
2015_11_22_15_10_41.jpg

2015_11_22_13_42_42.jpg
2015_11_22_13_41_56.jpg
]\

you DO realize, that class C RV roofs are not built for walking on....right??

...and a chair will punch a hole right through that roof skin!

but, you do as you like...it's your rig! :D

Patrick46 said:
you DO realize, that class C RV roofs are not built for walking on....right??

...and a chair will punch a hole right through that roof skin!

but, you do as you like...it's your rig! :D

Yep, for most I would totally agree.  However:

1.) This is a '77, and the roof is fully framed.  They didn't make RV's like swiss cheese back then.
2.) The roof has been redone, and is stronger than the original (this RV has been extremely well cared for)

On most, I wouldn't dare, but the roof of this RV has less flex walking on it than most house roofs I've been on   :p

kyuubs said:
1.) This is a '77, and the roof is fully framed.  They didn't make RV's like swiss cheese back then.
2.) The roof has been redone, and is stronger than the original (this RV has been extremely well cared for)

On most, I wouldn't dare, but the roof of this RV has less flex walking on it than most house roofs I've been on   :p

Well...our '76 Jamboree had a roof that I'd NEVER consider walking on...and yes, it was fully framed too.

but like I said, it's your bus brother! You do as you wish.