No refrigeration?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, some stuff is really tasty. I love the cream of broccoli soup. Add a bit of butter and a handfull of extra FD broccoli, and it's great stuff. Dip fresh French bread n' butter in it an you're in soup heaven  :D

I also learned to try stuff out before buying the #10 cans by buying the small cans first (if available) and taste testing things. Too bad I hadn't done that with those nasty powdered eggs  :blush:

Highdesertranger had a great idea by mixing them with real eggs, brilliant!  :D

TxLady said:
Has anyone been able to get by without using any type of refrigeration by using shelf stable foods, canned goods, etc.? Obviously in extreme heat this would be difficult unless everything was canned or dried and you never had leftovers to deal with.  Just wondering if anybody has been able to do it.

No fridge for two years. I always keep canned goods on hand, and since I walmart-park all the time I also always have access to fresh food there.

I do have a small cooler that I added an extra layer of styrofoam to--with some fast-food ice it works well enough to store leftovers like hot dogs or lunch meat for a day or two.

I will have to say it would be awfully tough to get by on totally no-refrigerator food. I thought with van dwelling I'd be living a Campbell's Soup life. There's no way, I need fruits and vegetables, and butter and eggs.

Eggs to not require refrigeration. As for butter...it is good for a week, except in higher temps.

Fruit and veggies...good for almost a week.

Been camping from the 1970s and part of that time without a cooler. Lived out of the pantry more than once when destitute with children (hello generic Cheerios with Tang!). Last couple of decades we used a cooler with ice-until we would run out.

Finally broke down and bought a TruckFridge (aka Isotherm, Indel B, Vitrifrigo ). We're not going to be traveling years without one. We were seriously considering not doing that and living without refrigeration, but upon reflection, changed our minds.

But, if you don't use a cooler, get a pressure cooker. When you cook something and eat your fill, all you have to do is heat the food once again, get up to a good pressure and then the food is good until at least the next day without refrigeration. You've killed all the bacteria with the cooking under pressure. Learned that valuable tidbit while living on a boat.
Ted

I admire your 'can do' spirit, but I can't imagine going without refrigeration of any kind -- at least not for any lengthy period of time. I currently have an excellent RTIC cooler that can go 4-5 days without adding ice, but will be upping the game to a 12 volt compressor fridge this summer. Icy cold water, cold milk, chilled martinis, cold juices, crispy cold lettuce, cold cheeses and meats -- the list is endless.

I look forward to hearing about your experience and how it goes!

I have lived in a van for 1 year in the northeast without refrigeration. I would use a simple cooler and ice instead. I didn't mind it at all. I stored milk butter eggs and chicken with ice alone. Its possible. Take care

I don't have a "can do" spirit. But I am happy for you that you don't need a "can do" spirit! More power to ya! :cool:

CHEAPrvliving.com

Cheese can last a few days withut refrigeration
Non fat powdered milk & dry cereal

powdered potatoes

Bizquick and Syrup
99 cent store canned generic Spam
canned black beans
refried beans

Now that you mention it Sterwake, I believe that was part of the reason for the making of hard cheeses, they don't require refrigeration. In fact, iirc, hard cheeses do not spoil, they do eventually grow mold, but you can cut the mold off and the rest is still good
Hard cheese and a hard bread was considered good traveling rations at one time, and I've had a block last a week

Regarding powdered eggs, I have found the OvaEasy brand to be the best. They are actually quite tasty.

Ballenxj said:
You mean the Prince of Darkness?
Switches labeled On/Of/Flicker.  Our middle son was born with a circulation problem that required heart surgery within 6 weeks of being born, we named him Lucas.

Ballenxj said:
The same way they do in England, Duh! :p

Hey now...they drink their beer cold, just not ICE cold like the Americans do. It is cellar temp, which is around 40-45* vs 33*. You can't drink some American beer without it being almost ice because the taste is terrible.

And referencing butter from another post...I always leave butter out on the counter, for weeks at a time as long as the temperature remains below 70* it is good for a long time.

ArtW said:
Now that you mention it Sterwake, I believe that was part of the reason for the making of hard cheeses, they don't require refrigeration. In fact,  iirc, hard cheeses do not spoil, they do eventually grow mold, but you can cut the mold off and the rest is still good
Hard cheese and a hard bread was considered good traveling rations at one time, and I've had a block last a week

Absolutely!  I read a lot of historical novels and seems like everyone is always eating bread and cheese.  Maybe a little meat if they were lucky enough to fine some wild game.  Only if you were wealthy did you have regular vegetables, fruit (apples, pears, etc.) Spices were expensive and rare.  Bread and cheese, bread and cheese, that's all they ate it seems!

Dune Elliot:
You can't drink some American beer without it being almost ice because the taste is terrible.
Which is Why I almost never drink
Bonus: when I do, I can afford decent beer lol
Tx Lady:
Indeed, some folks dream of living in the past. I always ask: Do you understand what that was REALLY like?

ArtW said:
Tx Lady:
Indeed, some folks dream of living in the past. I always ask: Do you understand what that was REALLY like?

Exactly!  I'd love to be the Lady of the Manor, but in reality I'd likely be the scullery maid hauling water for milady's bath.
And dead by age forty.

mayble said:
Exactly!  I'd love to be the Lady of the Manor, but in reality I'd likely be the scullery maid hauling water for milady's bath.
And dead by age forty.

I'm really into the Viking and medieval era, and the romanticized version of what it was like...but in reality it was tough. Viking women had it pretty good though...equal to men in almost every way. That would be my choice of place and time to live.

Yeah, there's no way I'm eating butter at room temperature when it's in the 90s. Nope, I'll deal with my ice for now.

DuneElliot said:
I'm really into the Viking and medieval era,
Me too! I really love Renaissance fairs as well.
I read an article on the long boats that said modern man is still in awe of the wood joinery that was used to make them.
Knives, swords, and Battle Axes? (not ex wives) That's a whole different story that needs it's own website.

It is very easy to store food and eat without refrigeration with the wide variety of foods and packaging we have today.  What is not easy nor inexpensive is to eat healthy, unless camping where you have access to a grocery store every 2 or 3 days.  Inexpensive (and even some expensive) shelf stable foods are full of sodium, starch, and chemicals to enhance texture, taste, color, and shelf life.

As a former girl friend was fond of saying: 'Why would I want to eat something that bugs won't touch?'

-- Spiff