No Refrigeration Required.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akblack10

Reaction score
This extended road-trip I am going it without refrigeration. I, like many of you, have a travel fridge, and I have a nice cooler…. but during these wanderings I have decided to go with no food requiring refrigeration. Does anyone else go with no "refrigeration?" I posted a list of foods with photographs I am eating this trip, if anyone has other ideas please let me know. I don't have any canned goods in this list, trying to see what else, other than canned, people recommend! Yes, I still eat-out, but just looking for ideas from other travelers, what no refrigeration required, non-canned foods they eat!

http://www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com/2014/02/no-refrigeration-required.html

-Thanks, AK

PastTense, I have a camp stove, solar oven, pots and pans...etc… pretty much everything one takes on camping trips! I was just, looking for ideas of healthy foods that others eat, not requiring refrigeration?
-Thanks, AK

I like oatmeal, but not cooked to slime. I boil some water and pour it over 3 minute oats, stir in some sugar or syrup and its ready to eat. Has a little "chew" to it, but that's good for me.

Oh yeah, when mom needed to stretch a buck she would put a touch of vanilla when making powdered milk. Us kids thought it was pretty good.

All your fruit will keep a week or so as long as you don't overdue your purchases, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, avocados even stuff like cabbage, broccoli will keep several days, lentils, couscous, quenoa, black eye beans take no longer then rice to cook, cereals with milk in those long term cardboard boxes or use powdered milk. If it is not too hot margarine will be ok in those plastic containers, all the nut butters would be fine, eggs keep a week or two without refrigeration as long as it is not stinking hot, grains, porridge with dried cranberries or any dried fruit. Why are you adverse to cans? I am sure you can find some with no salt and sugar. I hope that helps, I often go days without refrigeration:)

Flying Kurbmaster2, thanks for the tips! I appreciate your contribution! I am not against canned goods! I know that you can get everything from fruit to meat to cheese in cans! I am just looking beyond cans for more ideas!

I am trying to eat more healthfully, not a vegan but cutting way, way back on sugars, and increasing fresh, raw fruits and veggies! Thanks for your comments!
-AK

akblack,

If it's not refrigerated in the store, it most likely doesn't require refrigeration, with a few exceptions (mayo comes to mind). I discovered liquid coffee creamer doesn't need to stay chilled, even though it's sold that way.

Strangely, I have also found that some organic produce will last much longer than non-organic. Lettuce and other greens, pears, bananas, apples, Brussels sprouts, green beans. I know they're more expensive but I'm not having to throw out as much due to spoilage. Maybe that's because the price tends to make me buy less?

Also, pickled anything! Okra, beets, various peppers, sauerkraut. It comes in jars, which I like because I can use a little and reseal. And the jars can be reused for canned stuff. I find it difficult to shop for one; seems everything comes in such large quantities--too much for one meal.

Best wishes.

AK, we try to use as few glass and breakables things as possible. We save some plastic jars for re-use tho. Square containers with lids are always a keeper...useful for all kinds of things, stack, and make better use of space than round ones.

We use a lot of those noodle or rice side dishes that boil up in a few minutes, you can rack a bunch of those in a plastic shoebox. Might not be as healthy as you want, but quick and easy.
We use instant spuds too. I like potato pancakes ;)

sourkraut that is a great idea, so easy to make, I make it in a pinto jar, not sure what you call them but the jars with the clip and rubber gasket, prfect for mobile lifestyle, so simple and good for the digestion. tasty on all sandwich or as a side for just about anything, I think the combination is one tablespoon of salt per pound, a regular size cabbage weighs about 2 pounds, slice in quarters remove spline and slice as thin as you can, put in jar with salt, wait 1 hour, water will form press it down under water if water does not cover cabbage, add a little, wait 2 to three weeks, it is done, smaller amounts takes less time, can be ready in a week, home made sourkraut is crunchier then the store bought stuff.

Stargazer, thanks for the tips, I do enjoy pickled anything! I ate lots of pickled herring in Holland!

Bindi, I agree that square is more space efficient than round! Great tip!

-Thanks, AK

First off, I lean to the carnivore side, so 'no meat' is not an option for me. :D

For no refrigeration, I prefer packets to canned when it comes to meat. No extra water and hella easier to store than round cans, I keep tuna (now comes in varieties like smoked and lemon pepper), salmon and Libby's spicy seasoned beef crumbles on hand. Not as healthy as fresh food, of course, but a good alternative to space-hoovering round cans that are half water anyway. The packets are oblong and thin, making them much easier to store.

Unchained, Good tip thanks, I agree that packets are much easier to store!
-AK

I picked up a Survival bucket with 2 weeks of meals.....Im not a big fan of canned or anything that isnt fresh but I found that if something put me in a bad spot that the bucket would bail me out........The packet meats...tuna,Beef,Spam , I keep around for the fast filler meals.. lots of wild rice and dehydrated eggs....and a solar oven for fresh bread!!.....I keep plenty of fishing gear onboard to keep the better meals coming in at low prices!!!.............nothing better than fresh Salmon or trout....or a day at the beach with fresh cod or haddock with crab or lobster!!!!

I'm beating an oft beaten drum here but.. a 12-24v compressor style fridge/cooler (Danfoss) is the way to go vs. 3 way/Peltier junction units. Yup, they 'might' cost a bit more, but pay now or pay much more later.
When it comes to refrigeration free living, I've found that it just adds up to more overall expense and limited eating choices. Over here, let's say for meat, the best deals are for 'reduced' family packs, and the savings can be considerable. Generally, during the hot and sometimes humid summers here, food goes bad rather quickly and this, lacking refrigeration, limits one to convenience foods or small portions.. which are pricy. ..Willy.

For cooking on the road or boondocking I am a huge fan of (http://www.dirtygourmet.com/). "Our mission is to inspire gourmet outdoor cooking by providing easy camping recipes and ideas. Whether you're a weekend car camper or a serious backpacker, go beyond hot dogs and rehydrated sludge and discover your gourmet potential."
I have adapted several recipes for no refrigeration.

Dehydrated things work well (even jerky chopped up and thrown into the soup at the beginning makes a filling meal), many vegetables are happy for 10 days or so, hard cheese are good for a few weeks, eggs are happy for 10 days or more (depending on where you got them). At the end of two weeks I have very little fresh stuff left, except for the chives, celery leaves and sprouts that I grow.

Costco sells their brand of canned roast beef for $3 and I swear it is as good a roast beef as I have ever eaten. As good as my moms, and nothing is as good as MY moms!!! :p Highly recommended!! Their canned chicken breast is $2 a can and it is also very good.
Bob

Lucky Mike, good suggestions on the "survival bucket," better to have and not need then to need and not have!

Willy, thanks for the Danfoss recommendation!

Woody Creature, the "dirty gourmet" website looks interest ion!

akrvbob, I like the Costco canned beef too… wish they made big packets too!

gsfish, good recommendations to jazz-up ramen! So many great ways to enhance ramen!

Thanks for all the ideas……

-AK

As dehydration has been brought up, I should mention that you can use solar to dehydrate fresh foods like fruits and veggies while boondocking. This can be done either by making a solar dehydrator or, for the lazy amongst us, using your vehicle's cab on a hot, sunny day (hopefully, while you are elsewhere). The key is to slice thinly and put them on a screen or some such so that they have hot air all around and dry fast. As hot weather is not usually good for fresh food, dehydrating leftover fruits and veggies right before (or while, if using a solar dehydrator) making the next grocery run can prevent wasting food.

Omaha steaks has a lot of really great stuff that keeps a really long time never needs refrigeration, and they have all kinds of side dishes seafood soups pasta you name it, little pricy but if you want to impress its a good way to go.