No-refrigeration foods

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QinReno said:
I use a small cooler with ice. It will keep sliced meat and cheese good for 3 days or so, then the ice is melted.

HI Qin,  I thought the IGLOO ice chest kept ice for several days???  Around here, 10 pounds of ice is just $1.40.  There's a benefit of pretty clean water to use when the ice needs to be renewed.  I wonder what the cost of LP or electric costs is on a daily basis for refrigeration.  Max

Pretty close to free if solar powered.

The cost of driving to buy ice is very high for many, only make such trips a couple times a month.

I don't recall butter being mentioned, but if you take the time to make Ghee out of your butter you can up the shelf life from about 2 weeks to up to 6 months (or even more.) Actually, butter will last less than 2 weeks if your rig gets over 70 degrees. Which, most will.

There are videos on how to make Ghee (it is extremely simple.) So I won't bore anyone with the details (unless someone requests the instructions,) but if you want to keep butter without refrigeration for longer, look up how to make Ghee. The stuff is yummmeeee and worth the small effort put into making it.

I'm back at home with family, but I'm working on storing up the pantry and plan on making enough Ghee to stock up on. Something I only have to do a couple times a year.

RowanFae said:
m back at home with family, but I'm working on storing up the pantry and plan on making enough Ghee to stock up on.  Something I only have to do a couple times a year.

Hi, Have you ever tried the powdered butter sold a places like Amazon?
Ghee is clarified butter?  It lasts w/o refrigeration?  That's what I'm aiming for.

the powdered butter is fine for baking and cooking. not so good for using as a spread on toast and such. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the powdered butter is fine for baking and cooking.  not so good for using as a spread on toast and such. highdesertranger

Thanks.  Cooking is really all I need butter for.  I use preserves w/o butter on bread. 
Now I need to search for NFF Sour Cream packets.

Indian and SE Asian supermarkets and shops often carry jars or tins of ghee which last for years unopened, providing they're not stored improperly in high heat. A few stored in a small insulated cooler even without ice should keep one supplied forever.

I keep an empty esky in the cab of my ute during the summer for things like that, delicate electronics and whatnot also, for when the temps exceed 40C and the interior temps skyrocket.

max+sophia said:
Hi, Have you ever tried the powdered butter sold a places like Amazon?
Ghee is clarified butter?  It lasts w/o refrigeration?  That's what I'm aiming for.

Sort of, but not exactly.  Clarified butter still has more water and some milk solids.  Ghee is cooked longer.  Sort of Clarified, clarified butter :)

It does last without refrigeration, although not in really high temperatures.  As was mentioned, keeping it insulated helps.

I have not tried to the powdered butter, but I want to.

I have never tried the powdered sour cream. give it a try and report back. highdesertranger