No Ladder? Shouldn't it have a ladder?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV-Hopeful

Reaction score
Still waiting to hear from the bank re: loan for '06 Jamboree 29V ... it doesn't have a ladder on the back.  When I look at other pictures of the same unit, it has a ladder.  I sorta brushed that off in the beginning but the longer I wait to hear from the bank, the longer it REALLLLLY bothers me.

Shouldn't there be a ladder?  Or do I just buy a used light weight extension ladder to carry in the storage compartment? I checked the inside for old leaks and found none, the sellers say no leaks.

It bothers me that there isn't a ladder ...

These are quite handy:

k2-_8500ca22-90e8-4abe-b367-06d12c2a4c4a.v1.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CORE-Xten...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

look for signs of where the ladder should have been like plugged holes, if i were in your place I would be looking for an original replacement ladder it is very convenient having a FIXED ladder.

This may be irrelevant to your RV as its new, but my fifth wheel camper doesn't have a ladder because they back end isn't built to hold the weight of a person climbing a ladder. Or that's what I was told, at least.

You may be able to call an RV place and see if they could look it up for you, or it could be online.

if it has a luggage rack, it should have a ladder. however most of your RV ladders are a bit shaky at best. highdesertranger

Oopslala said:
This may be irrelevant to your RV as its new, but my fifth wheel camper doesn't have a ladder because they back end isn't built to hold the weight of a person climbing a ladder.  Or that's what I was told, at least.

You may be able to call an RV place and see if they could look it up for you, or it could be online.

I guess 10 years old is sorta new huh? I looked up on line and found them to be around $150ish+/- ... but I like the one BradKW showed.  That way I could tilt it instead of doing a straight up climb.

maybe I wasn't clear, if the RV came with a luggage rack it should have a ladder. if I didn't come with a luggage rack it will not have a ladder. does the RV have a luggage rack? highdesertranger

That telescoping ladder brings visions of Wile E Coyote to mind...
I was going to add a ladder, but then realized, a portable one allows you 360* access to your coach to clean solar panels, etc.

Can't you call around or visit lots of junk yards and find a ladder that you could adapt for a very low cost? Most junk yards have a section just for RV's. This would help narrow a search.
If you put the ladder on yourself, you could space save, attach once, and have solar panels BEHIND the ladder. Turn your vehicle towards the sun on that side.

Definitely will be picking up that ladder he linked.

And you're right 06 isn't that new anymore hahaha, I'm rolling with a 1996 and anything I see over 2000 is still "new" to my mind for some reason

It's not so much as the ladder itself, but more the mounting location. If the coach never had one, it will be difficult to determine a proper mounting location, and then get a ladder that has mounts that line up. I actually was able to get the drawings for my Nomad Travel Trailer from Skyline, so I could determine where the frame components were. After learning the makeup of my rear wall, I chose to not add one. I did add a 45" square door on the back to load in kayaks, though. Those drawings were immensely helpful.

Those attached ladders are pretty flimsy and certainly could put more stress on the mounting support areas than is good. I think you are better off without it. If it never had one, that's even better!

I've used one of those collapsible ladders on my Motorhome for several years and it has worked fine. It stay stored 99% of the time, but when I need it, it's there. Got mine at Camping World; although they are not cheap. Mine is the 14' model.

Don't EVER give Camping World your email; they will bury you with nusence crap. It is almost impossible to get off their list.

ZoNiE said:
That telescoping ladder brings visions of Wile E Coyote to mind...
I was going to add a ladder, but then realized, a portable one allows you 360* access to your coach to clean solar panels, etc.
That's what I liked about the telescoping ladder idea. Think it would work best for me.

I hated making that straight up climb on our last RV. Just not as nimble as I once was. Plus, not all that good to be walking around on most of them. 
A portable ladder is also handy for replacing clearance lights and other chores.
As mentioned above...360 access.

Mental note:  when using a non-fixed ladder, also use a bungee or piece of cord to attach the top to something on the roof.  Would hate to get up there and then have the ladder fall to the ground.  

"Well, this is embarrassing..."   :mad: :D

a note on my post #8, the other day I saw an RV with no roof rack but it had a ladder. go figure. highdesertranger