Nightmare Waiting to Happen?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be good if you only plan on sleeping in it. Seems like too much money will be thrown at it

I have seen some down on their luck people spend more than that on a junk Ford Taurus. I'd think the lot would negotiate the price a little. 

Everyone's situation is different but if some one was going to be staying in town for work and wanted to live in their car it would be better than a junked out Taurus. Negotiate down to $1000 bucks live in it for a few months while saving some money. Then buy something better. Sell that thing and run. Transfer contents of old van to new van.

if it runs seems like a good price. maybe its my area down here in florida but most astra/safari van's are more than 2grand. anything under that and either you found a gem someone just wanted gone or there is issues. just remember like any old vehicle expect to throw money at it regardless of how well it was taken care of. after all your looking at a vehicle thats 20 years old.

i was once told if you take care of them those engines are good for 500k miles or more. i'd try to get more info on it and try to negotiate down the price, never can hurt. i'd especially want to know when and if the fuel pump has been replaced those are known to go bad, if its never been done expect to have to do it soon, plan on 800 or so to have it done unless you know a good mechanic or can do it yourself. the part alone is about 200 if i recall when i had mine done.

i'd check for a good seal on the drives door where there is damage and the sliding door either was not shut in one of the pictures or is not sealing good.

If you don't drive that much and the van runs good, maybe it would be ok. Astrovans are tough vans. The one I got was a 1986 astrovan I bought 4 years ago, the odometer only showed 59,000 miles when I bought it, but since the odometer only goes to 99,999 miles then it starts at 0 again, who knows how many miles it has. It showed signs that it was used for some sort of disaster relief work in mexico and still had the CB radio.

In 4 years only had to fix the differential, and replace a fuel pump(in gas tank the pump cost 49 dollars, I change myself) otherwise the vans starts up everytime and runs like a champ. It even passes smog.

The one in the ad is excellent for building up and looks in better condition then mine. The back of the van is ready for foam insulation, a hotglue gun and 3 or 4 sheets of rtech foam would work wonders. I like my astrovan because of its small wheelbase it fits everywhere, even though mine still has the 2 rear seats, I still have plenty of room in the back. The roof has plenty of room for at least a 240 watt solar panel (what I have on mine). If I had to buy another van, it would definitely be an astrovan. It must be running good for them to be asking 1500 dollars.

Unless I saw the ad wrong it looks like it's an AWD model. Could also be good for a weekend rig for someone and have some off the beaten path ability.

There is nothing wrong with a modern vehicle having 300k or more miles. A properly maintained vehicle (which this clearly was one or it would not have reached that number) can run well over a half-million miles on the odo. We are well out of the 1970's where the normal life span for an engine was 100,000 miles.

I am more afraid of a "low mileage" engine then high-miles. Low miles means it is sitting around for years doing nothing. High miles means it is at least running, and circulating that oil through out the engine all the time. That is vital.

That's pretty cool and somewhat unique for an Astro van. The fact that it's a cargo van with AWD, plus tilt, cruise, power windows is unusual but the fact that it has the "Dutch Doors" makes it a total unicorn. You never see Dutch doors on a cargo. An Astro with those features was usually headed to an upfitter to become a conversion van.

That is a lot of miles! Wonder how it runs and drives?

Your local mechanics will love it  :heart:

If  you bought it new, I'd have no reservations taking a truck past 1M miles: but buying it midstream of 1M miles is too many questions for pure chance alone. Every different mechanic is a chance things are not harmonious with each other. Using the same mechanic turns into their right to charge you what they want. And in between different mechanics, you don't know what is up or down except it is prohibitively expense for nothing in return.

That would be like lawn, tree, driveway, and landscape maintenance on a brick and mortar home: no difference. ymmv.  :huh:

I have a 98 with AWD and I love it. I would be concerned with that type of mileage without knowing the full history of the vehicle and its owners, operators and quality of the shops/ mechanics that have serviced it.

I have the rear dutch doors with the hatch and like the set up. The only problem I have is I have not been able to come up with a source to obtain the rubber seals new for the rear hatch and mine leak. I can find the rubber for the lower door parts and can find the rubber that is for the full rear doors but not for the hatch. If anyone knows of a source for the rubber seals for the upper rear hatch for a '98 Astro please let me know. Thanks.

Latest posts