Nice "no-build" design in Promaster City

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice article, the only problem I would have is the Ikea furniture. I know a lot of people seem to like Ikea, But honestly it does not hold up in the long run..

No build designs certainly have there place though, they can be achieved in a reasonable amount of time, and if a person does not have the skills sets to build, it can be done by anyone..

Two thumbs up from me

Nice no build for traveling. She doesn't live in it where one might need more use of the high space above the windows. I still like Julia's no build in her nissan nv200 for more efficient use of space.

Such fun!  There is a lot to love about a no-build.  Thrift store/alley finds can sometimes be substituted for Ikea-type items.  As much as I like command hooks, I have not used them successfully because of heat.  Also, this particular set-up does not meet my "panic stop" criteria, in spite of bungee cords, but tolerance for that varies.

With plastic drawer towers and storage crates with lids, vehicles can be equipped easily, inexpensively and with considerable flexibility.

Add folding camping furniture and one could move into a bare vehicle and have facilities and comfort right from the start.

These items can also be easily taken outside in nice weather which increases their versatility considerably.

No build builds also allow the reconfiguration of the interior to establish what offers the best compromise of space, practicality, ergonomics and comfort.

I convert our Ford Transit mid roof long length bed from a work cargo van into a RV/camper in about 30 minutes, so that is kind of no-build.

My Only problem with no build builds is that if you use a cargo vehicle there’s nothing On the walls or ceiling to Prevent heat transfer. It’s just not practical to live in something like that. It even affects your storage of things, especially food. A good quality tent is it much better structure to live in for comfort than a “bare skin” van. For occasional travel it could be ok but to live in, I just can’t see It. If you use a passenger vehicle at least you have some proTection from the bare metal skin. I have lived full time in my van for a year now. It is a full size Dodge conversion. I removed all the seats except the drivers. I tore out the carpet replaced it with half inch inch insulation, half-inch plywood, and vinyl flooring. The only insulating I did was to the 3 large windows which I covered with 3/4 inch polyiso wrapped in fabric. My ceiling and side walls I left just as the conversion company made them. It is not the best insulation but far better than the metal skin. My first vehicle which I part time in for over a decade was a GMC Safari that was Used as a worksite office for bell tell who carpeted the walls, floor, and ceiling, I just built a bookshelf/desk on the passenger side and a storage box/bed on the other. I don’t want to be critical of others, just putting in my 1 cent (I don’t have 2)

About cargo vans and no insulation...Bob has an early video of a girl from up north who expressly did not want any insulation in her transit connnect...lol

nature lover said:
My Only problem with no build builds is that if you use a cargo vehicle there’s nothing On the walls or ceiling to Prevent heat transfer.  It’s just not practical to live in something like that. It even affects your storage of things, especially food.  A good quality tent is it much better structure to live in for comfort than a “bare skin” van.  For occasional travel it could be ok but to live in, I just can’t see It.  If you use a passenger vehicle at least you have some proTection from the bare metal skin.  I have lived full time in my van for a year now.  It is a full size Dodge conversion.  I removed all the seats except the drivers.  I tore out the carpet replaced it with half inch inch insulation, half-inch plywood, and vinyl flooring.  The only insulating I did was to the 3 large windows which I covered with 3/4 inch polyiso wrapped in fabric.  My ceiling and side walls I left just as the conversion company made them.  It is not the best insulation but far better than the metal skin.  My first vehicle which I part time in for over a decade was a GMC Safari that was Used as a worksite office for bell tell who carpeted the walls, floor, and ceiling, I just built a bookshelf/desk on the passenger side and a storage box/bed on the other.  I don’t want to be critical of others, just putting in my 1 cent (I don’t have 2)

Going on my second full-time year in an uninsulated cargo van, after part-timing for a couple years. Of course I winter in Arizona and summer in the PNW. If I were into snow sports, it could be a different story, but I personally haven't felt the need for insulation yet. 

I intended to insulate my van, since that is the standard advice, but there were so many conflicting opinions about materials and methods that I couldn't decide, and dithered instead. I did not want to do the wrong thing and develop rust. And by dithering, found out that I was just fine without it!

If you super insulate your van and don't have good airflow from outside, aren't you just dumping liters of moisture inside from your breathing?

If you have good outside airflow...how much is the insulation buying you?

^^^ In a van you also have to consider windows and doors which are large and many. In my little trailer which is slightly bigger than a van with no windows a only one door I am able to use a 14" vent and two 6" vents in the floor to have ventilation when I need it. If you use a heat source that uses outside air or electric heat and cook outside there is little enough condensation it is easily manageable and insulation really helps especially in areas where it gets hot during the day. In a van you mainly want something to keep condensation from dripping on you and need to travel more often to follow ideal temperatures in my opinion.

I recall watching a video about a couple in Canada whom lived full time in an uninsulated cargo van, and they were adamant that they had no problems because of their lack of insulation.

Whilst I was curious as to how that worked, I couldn't argue with their real life experience, particularly in Canadian winters!

For a quick fix in an empty cargo van I'd be inclined to buy large cotton sheets used by painters and fix them using spring clamps.

That way, the interior of the van would have a separate, heat retaining liner that would reduce condensation (with ventilation).

I've actually used the same technique to create a small, easily heated living space in an area the size of an aircraft hanger.