• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

nice b250 poptop for sale!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is interested, I could give you several reasons why the '88 is way overpriced...(former owner of several old Dodge vans).

slow2day said:
If anyone is interested, I could give you several reasons why the '88 is way overpriced...(former owner of several old Dodge vans).
yes, i would appreciate it as i am just beginning to search (that i expect will take couple years).
i usually like Chevys but my uncle retired with 50 years as a mechanic for dodge and though it
would be a nice tribute to him as he thought they (trucks) were great and thats all he ever had...
btw, my hesitation would be probable rust :(

Yeah, it looks like it has been repainted but it's faded or marred in some places. You can see a couple of areas on the rockers where rust has been puttied.

You'd have to check for rust up by the steering box and by the rear spring hangers as those can be structural problem areas.

It was pretty common for late '80s and early '90s Dodge odometers to be non-functional,so mileage should be suspect. Probably many were changed out.

An '88 with a 360 will have a 4-bbl carb instead of TBI (a version of EFI). For some that would be a plus, others a minus. Also no computer to deal with. It doesn't have overdrive, so those 2 factors would make some difference in MPG compared to a more modern van.

The trans would be a 3-speed A727 which is one of the sturdiest trannies ever built. It 'should' be cheaper to have replaced or rebuilt compared to the OD trannies.

The build is kind of crude; nothing special for that kind of money and it doesn't seem to have a sink or tanks. There's a CO detector but no mention of a heater. If used in cold weather, the canvas on the poptop wouldn't offer much protection.

Lastly, I would avoid old vans with sliding side doors because they're prone to being jammed or coming off the track.

The ad doesn't mention whether the cruise control or A/C works or not. I'd bet against both but you never know.
Unless it's been converted to 134a, the A/C on an old van would require R12 freon which is expensive.

So anyway, it's a pretty cool old van but I'd say it was overpriced by at least $4000. JMHO

Attachments

• 77 Maxi.jpg
    77 Maxi.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 3
slow2day said:
So anyway, it's a pretty cool old van but I'd say it was overpriced by at least $4000. JMHO

PS: I didn't have time to add that the above is in addition to all the other possible problems you could run into keeping a 33 yo van going.

thanks for the info! i like that the trannies are very good. i never knew they were so long
but if i could find a hightop that would be cool. i had a poptop on my Westy but that was
in Tejas. oh, and i like that one of yours in the pic ;)

^
That was the first Dodge van I bought in 2002. It was a '77 Maxivan with over 200k on it when I bought it. I drove it all over the western half of the U.S. until '06.

It had a carb and the best I got with it was 15.1MPG. In contrast, my '93 Ford (roughly equal weight) has EFI and overdrive and the best has been 17.5MPG. It has cruise and that helps some also.