Next came camper # 3

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnHarrelson

Reaction score
After giving up the 1977 Van voluntarily to the bank it was financed through  and then buying a 2cd hand PU truck and slide in camper and having it repo'd by the bank it was financed through, we decided to pay cash for everything from then on.. 

We managed to scrape enough money together to buy a Chevy Suburban that had been cast off by the state highway dept. for a couple of hundred dollars.

The body was in excellent shape and the engine ran great. The only thing was the front seats were trashed so we removed them and then moved the second row seat (a bench seat) to replace the driver's seat. 

Most Suburbans had/have three rows of seats, the driver and passenger seats in front, then a second row bench type seat and a third row bench seat.

The third row seats we didn't need so we tossed them.

We installed a double bed across the back and in the center we put the porta-potty and along one side a shelf to use for cooking and whatever else we need it for.

The curtains were Flags we found at a thrift store. The tires needed replacing so we splurged and bought fancy chrome wheels and over-sized tires. 

All in all it was one of our best campers.. and it was payed for, no bank to take it away from us..

orange truckwith bike.gif  orange truck2.gif

Next week I'll show you our 4th camper... I told you I had had several campers over the years..  :D

Attachments

• orange truckwith bike.gif
    orange truckwith bike.gif
    58 KB · Views: 19
  • orange truck2.gif
    orange truck2.gif
    96.7 KB · Views: 21
JohnHarrelson said:
After giving up the 1977 Van voluntarily to the bank it was financed through  and then buying a 2cd hand PU truck and slide in camper and having it repo'd by the bank it was financed through, we decided to pay cash for everything from then on.. 

We managed to scrape enough money together to buy a Chevy Suburban that had been cast off by the state highway dept. for a couple of hundred dollars.

The body was in excellent shape and the engine ran great. The only thing was the front seats were trashed so we removed them and then moved the second row seat (a bench seat) to replace the driver's seat. 

Most Suburbans had/have three rows of seats, the driver and passenger seats in front, then a second row bench type seat and a third row bench seat.

The third row seats we didn't need so we tossed them.

We installed a double bed across the back and in the center we put the porta-potty and along one side a shelf to use for cooking and whatever else we need it for.

The curtains were Flags we found at a thrift store. The tires needed replacing so we splurged and bought fancy chrome wheels and over-sized tires. 

All in all it was one of our best campers.. and it was payed for, no bank to take it away from us..

Next week I'll show you our 4th camper... I told you I had had several campers over the years..  :D

I have a 1994 Suburban 4 WD has a crate 350 with 40,000 miles I just bought for$1,100 it's a beast runs good but it was so dirty just got done ripping the carpets out today. I parttime (because of family issues) and need to work on road so I'm taking out the front passenger seat and the seat behind drivers and will have a bed in the storage area running along the side (almost 6 ft) I will build a work area in the front seat area and a cabinet storage/ cooking (inside & out) in the  area behind drivers seat. I will have room for storage in sleeping area. I'm thinking of building a wall in the rear right behind window for a fan and maybe a 5,000 btu A/C. On the rear hitch if not towing my little cargo trailer I'll build a platform to store generator for a/c or heat. Will be adding some solar on roof tons of real estate up there for storage. I think it will actually be comfortable to work and live in. If anyone has any Ideas let me know! Peace