Newly divorced over 50 male

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am going to be in the vanlife around mid February. I just went thru a year long separation and now a week old divorce from a 29 year marriage. This is going to be a fresh start to me and it will be interesting to see if its a solo one or one that may include someone I meet or just FWB situations. 

The Key is life must go on and you must be happy with you choices.

After my divorce my therapist said something like, "Heal from that trauma before trying to get involved with anyone new. A new relationship won't fix you, only distract you, and there's a risk of messing them up with your unresolved stuff."

I replied, "What if I just want sex?"

He said, "As long as you're both crystal clear it's just sex."

I followed his advice and, dammit, I haven't been in a relationship since.

I like that therapist's advice.

The "both" part can be exceedingly tricky, and sometimes there's a surprise lurking just under the surface.

AlaskaBear - I am in same boat - same age and it was a 25 year marriage.
Seems like you received excellent advice - enjoy this chapter in your life - adventures await :)

To those who just want sex, there is a multi-billion dollar industry that must have something to tickle your fancy so you can avoid the distasteful "relationship" thing and its irksome complications. Sex aside, discover the joy of being in your own company, soak in the beauty of the continent and, if you want a relatively unconditional relationship, get a dog.

Latest posts