Newcomer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miranda01

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm so excited to talk to a like minded group of people who won't think I'm crazy for considering a van-dwelling lifestyle. I'm turning forty really soon so I just decided to take action now and stop wasting time feeling miserable.

I'm starting from scratch, seriously. I don't even own a car yet. I live in a tiny house in my parent's land. And I'm ready to downsize even more, pack up my stuff, my dog, and live a better life.

I really hit rock bottom with the misery levels in the past year. Now there is nowhere to go but up. Wish me luck!

:) Hello Miranda and Welcome

You are not the 1st person that has become interested in VanDwelling without owning a car. I'm sorry that you've had a rough year.  I do hope things are better for you in 2018. 

I'm on my 4th van, however I still live in a apt.  There are some good people in the Van Dwelling community & not all are full timing in vans.  There is a lot of good info here and plenty of advice on just about anything. 

When I joined I read all the Conversions listed at the top of the page just to get a idea about different rigs.  I'd only had internet for the 1st time for about 2wks back then.

Jewellann and Queeenie = my Navigator is a 12lb Chihuahua with a ATTITUDE :D

Hi Miranda...

Welcome to this space! I, too, do not yet own a vehicle but am dreaming of a better year ahead, just like you.
And Txjaybird has a good idea, read everything on those tabs. There is so much information here and I'm so grateful to Bob for creating such a wonderful site and resource for all of us.

Living in a tiny house, you already have the "small living" down, so that's important. I, too, live in a not-large apartment so I think that's a big advantage over having to pare down from a multi-bedroom dwelling. Hey, I'm trying to focus on what's working here, so I don't get bogged down in what's NOT working.

Hope we both get out soon, and I look forward to hearing more about how your dream to live in a van develops....
Best to you....

Hello All,

I have been thinking of getting in my van and driving away.  I just happened to come across Bob and Carolyn's posts.  Wow, there really are people who just up and choose to live a Nomad life.  Well, I am just a want to be.  HaHa.  As soon as I can I will be joining the wonderful way that you live.  Just want to say hi and find resources before getting my income tax and embarking on a new journey in my life.  I am 50 and just so tired of the daily grind, so to speak.  I really envy the freedom that all of you have been able to embrace.  I will be joining you asap.  Thanks for having a community out there that I can look forward to being a part of as soon as I can.  Just thanks.   :D

Welcome to the forum... it's so good to see you here. Have a nice day.

I am just dreaming too, but I am also working 7 days a week saving for a van.
I lived in Thailand for 25 years, returned to California a few years ago and could barely afford rent and I don't know anyone. It is also difficult getting a decent job at my age.
I have always wanted to travel around the USA, but hate paying the insane prices for hotel rooms. This seems like a way to do it for a reasonable price and have a cheap place to live in California as well.
I should have enough money by summertime, but not sure how long it will take to find a van in good shape that is not too expensive.

Welcome Miranda!

You came to the right website for sure. I've visited RTR/Quartzsite twice over the past 10 days and if you ever get there you'll see tens of thousands of like minded folks living their dream. I love to walk the swap meet, rock/gem show and or rv show grounds every day I'm there. So many smiles and happy travelers eager to say high, answer questions about the life style or just give an opinion on the latest hack or rig component..

See you on the road....

Miranda, Welcome ! I'm a newbie here too. I'm already in a 37 ft 5th wheel camper. I started with a small camper..then gradually moved up. Now IU regret it. I want to downsize big time to van. I can relate to you. I'm 49 and when I'm not working many times I come back to the family ranch. I have a free RV space here. I work contract jobs all over the lower 48 States (sometimes upper states.). My plan is to make it to network with others like you are. Pleasure to meet you. I'm been full time RV'er for 11 yrs. Here to help in any way I can. #BeABlessing

Welcome to the CRVL forums Miranda!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.