Newcomer to Vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all hope everyone is healthy these days!

My teens and I have decided we want to purchase a van. We would not be fulltime as we have already done that and they didn't like it. 

I am looking at an 02 Ford E350 superduty. It has 103K miles on it, great bones BUT it has spun a rod and needs a new engine. I have priced a rebuilt engine with Jasper and it will cost about 5k plus install (1500 I was told). This gives me peace of mind that I won't have problems with the engine. The cost of the van is $2K. What can I talk him down to and is it worth it.

I also am looking at a 1998 Chevy Express conversion van about 103K miles, family owned and looks well taken care of. $4900.

My hesitation is how long will the engine last on the 1998 Chevy. If it goes I will have no  money to replace it. 

I need some wisdom from experienced vanlifers. What would you do? Both of these vans are high tops which is what I want. I know they are hard to come by.

This van would also eventually be used by my kid to take trips.

Welcome Travelingmommaof3 to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

first off welcome
what engine is in the Ford?

5k for engine is kinda expensive?
is it a 7.3 diesel? that would explain it.
how long is the warranty?
did you price a brand new(not rebuilt) engine from Ford?
a brand new 5.7 from GM is about 2k

highdesertranger

Thanks highdesertranger for responding...

It's a 5.4l V8 gas engine

Jasper says 3 yr/100,000 warranty

Brand new would be fine. I am told that these engines had factory problems with low pressure oil pump (????)

I went to the Ford page but nothing came up. I see other pages with prices in the 3-4K range. A crate engine comes in parts from what I read. I was told with a rebuilt engine it would take about 16 hours of labor. Would a crate engine take longer?

How long has the '98 Chevy been up for sale?

$4900 is too high for a '98 even in really good shape IMO.

Is it a full-high top or a mid-high top?

If it's a full stand up model then it would fetch a better price as those are in high demand.

Also,location makes a big difference in prices.

slow2day said:
Thanks for responding slow2day!!!

How long has the '98 Chevy been up for sale?

I would say about a week

$4900 is too high for a '98 even in really good shape IMO.

Is it a full-high top or a mid-high top?

It's a conversion so I would say mid-high top. I could stand up in it at 5'7"

If it's a full stand up model then it would fetch a better price as those are in high demand.

Also,location makes a big difference in prices.  Denver

In Grand Junction Colorado labor prices are right at $100 an hour. I have a 1987 Suburban I bought a Chevy 5.7 crate motor with a 7 year no fault warranty for $3,200. Labor for the install and a few new accessories (distributor, wiring and etc.) was $2,200 so $5,500. As a young talented mechanic (lol!!!) with the right equipment I could have probably done it myself for around $1,200 in parts. I shopped several places and to my surprise most were between $5,000 and $6,000 with long waits due to Covid 19 getting mechanics sick. I also had several recommendations to avoid the factory new motors as they don’t offer as long a warranty and unless installed at a dealership more difficulties in getting warranty repairs paid for. Denver has a pretty well established rebuilder ( I think it was Painter’s Machine Shop?). You might do better having it rebuilt locally. I have bought Jasper engines in the past and in one instance it took 3 to get a good one but they did cover all costs even though they were on the expensive side. Yes I have a little black cloud that follows me around (bad luck) Lol!!!

Does the '98 have a current emissions sticker? 

If you will only be part-time, do you plan to take long trips or more local?

If it's mostly local, taking a chance on the '98 may be less risky.

Are either of the vans extended versions?