Newbie to the forum and van life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CincyGrrl

Reaction score
Hi everyone.  I've been lurking in these forums and watching lots of youtube videos regarding DIY camper vans.  My short term interest is to build a camper for my husband and I as primary, with an additional seat belted seat to take a grandkid along.  We aren't attempting to live in our van.  This is for weekends, vacations, and once retired, long road trips to explore North America. So it will be more of a "hotel-on-wheels" rather than a "home-on-wheels".  I expect our adventures to include a mixture of campgrounds and boondocking, but to not be more than a couple of days away from electricity and water sources at least for the first yr or two so my plan is to keep it simple and modular so things can be changed around and so if we decide to add a full electrical system and/or permanent plumbing later, we can.  

I have basic DIY skills and have done many home projects (plumbing, electrical, simple cabinetry), but this will be my first attempt at vehicle modification.  We have not yet bought a vehicle.  My criteria are that it be gas fueled, we need to be able to stand up, and have a third seat with legal seatbelt.  Luckily, my husband and I are both under 5' 10", so we could stand in either a Ford Transit med or high roof as well as a Promaster high roof (which are the 3 I'm considering).  

Looking forward to sharing with everyone and in case folks couldn't tell by my username, we are in the southwest OH area. : )

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum  :)

Sounds like you got everything you need......almost.   Just a vehicle to convert into a rig which may be a blessing as you have plenty of time to research your best option.  And this forum can sure help you with that.

I run a Ford E 350 extended High Top Van and it has so much more room than my original Van.   But if I ever sell it, I'll probably look for a small all aluminum Step Van to live in full time.  Those are built as trucks and although you don't get super mileage with them,  they are rugged and you're not spending $50 to $80+ dollars a night to stay in a motel.  (you just need to keep on top of your motor/transmission maintenance to  keep the breakdown ratio to a minimum.....and have a rainy day fund should you have a break down)

Your skills to build your rig will be a real asset.  

I'd offer you to check out the two links below.  The first for converting a Van to a basic starter rig, a Utility Trailer,
or even a Car. (a one man RV called a "Bug Out" vehicle)     The second is a Portal of information that can be used at home to pre plan a journey or even while on the road.  The section of links will be helpful once on the road to find those things that will make your travels more interesting, comfortable, and convenient.

All the best !

Welcome to CRVL.
If you haven't already, I'd recommend looking at and driving a couple different vans of each version long before you buy. My personal preference would be to find one with a square interior so it's easy to build things inside. If that's just cabinets for storage or a bed all the way to adding insulation, square corners make everything a lot easier.

For mobile electric needs consider a higher amp hour battery "system" like a Yeti 1000 or similar. Easily rechargeable once back home and can be used for a few days in your Van-Hotel.

my ol 2¢

Welcome CincyGrrl. I will warn you from the beginning a lot of part-timers find out that they want to be full timers eventually. Either way enjoy the journey. I found that planning and building and changing the rig is almost as much fun as traveling. Taking a grandchild along sounds like a winner. I only have two grandchildren and they’re both in heaven. But boy would I like to have a grandchild to spoil, enjoy it. I also found that there Has to be a purpose for you’re traveling. At least for me just wandering around from place to place Is Not very satisfying. It can be a simple bucket list of what you want to see and experience or a journal to share your adventures with others. (Like more grandchildren and great grandchildren who might find it an interesting read or burn it in the trash) A lot of people do the YouTube thing but there’s so many of them that I don’t think I have anything to add to it. So my journal is on paper or in bits and pieces here in the forum. I do hope to keep a nature photo blog up and going I kept it for years and then put it aside but i enjoyed it. I better stop here seems I’m in the mood for writing books today. God bless the nomads including you newbies.

By the way is that “Cincy” as in skyline chili. If it is in a bowl for me. Nothing better than skyline chili for a cold day.

I really appreciate the warm welcome and advice.  I'm pleased to virtually meet all of you!  

Matlock, I absolutely intend to drive a few vans before I make a final decision and will likely do the battery route for a while.  I already have a couple of battery bank car jump starters that could handle lights and cell phone recharges and multiple "pocket" battery banks. If I need more electricity during that first yr or so while I figure out what I really need/want in our rig, I will invest in a Yeti or Jackery portable power supply.  

Nature Lover, I hear completely what you say about being a full timer vs a part timer.  Who knows...anything is possible.   My hubby and I both enjoy traveling and we both have bucket lists. We like the usual tourist sites as well as the more unusual.  I remember driving thru some little town years ago and seeing this a giant chicken statue in front of a gift shop.  It got us to stop and take pictures and ended up eating at a little diner.  We still laugh about the giant chicken in the middle of nowhere.  It's funny, but the only time I seem to journal is when we travel...maybe that will change some day.   I let the other grandparents do the spoiling.  I'm the grandparent who teaches them about bugs and flowers, I keep spare clothes at my house and encourage them to jump in mud puddles, we catch and release the crawdads in the creek, and look for caves and waterfalls.  I consider it my duty to do what I can to teach them that that joy and wonder doesn't need to come from "things".  Last, but not least, yes, skyline chili is a staple in our household!  I can't wait to fix a batch in the Insta-pot on the road some day.  The spice packs are sold in grocery stores and would travel well. : )

eDJ thanks for sharing your idea about a step van. That idea was on my list when I first started looking, but I really like the idea of being able to go from front to back and vice versa without leaving the vehicle.  I had also considered a utility trailer especially as a starter project as well as going ahead and buying an old travel trailer and rehabbing it, but it's the same situation with having to leave the vehicle to go to the living space (and vice versa).  Plus with a travel or utility trailer, I'd have the added worry and hassle of towing.  There's something alluring about waking up, do the morning routine, secure our belongings on the inside, then hop up front and hit the road.  : )

Looking forward to listening, learning and someday sharing with everyone!

Many of the step van's are open from front to back.  Think of those bread trucks you see at the grocery stores.
Now some of them have a wall and door just behind the driver for security (where ever that is necessary).  Some have a rear door that rolls up like a garage door and others have "barn doors".  They also come in a variety of sizes with some not being much larger than an extended high top Van. Those that are all aluminum will not have the problems with rust most Van's Vans will have.   Then if you've built it out to be readily usable,  you shouldn't have any troubles reselling it.

They come in small to very large sizes. 

One company I worked for had one like this that I used to drive to pick up and deliver for my department.  As I had driven a delivery truck for Nabisco at one time I always got to do the driving.  Thank goodness it was white as there was no air conditioning in it.  LOL  It had a partial wall as the drivers seat was fixed to it.  I could fold up the seat and drive it standing up,  but a rarely did that.  That was for making lots of frequent stops in a small area where you weren't driving fast. 

Some of the newer ones have regular seats and those could be replaced with more comfortable ones for extended trips.  Extra seats could be installed from salvaged Conversion Vans for other passengers.

[img=450x400]https://carscoms.com/img/1969-dodge...-runs-drives-grumman-323808990137/0.jpg[/img]

CincyGrrl - Since I was disabled 15 years ago I have been a nature teacher. We had a mini nature center at the big farmers market in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. I often had up to 200 kids coming through for a little nature lesson and then I would give them a collector card with one of my nature pictures on it. I’ve been known as the bug man or the butterfly man. You are so right about teaching kids about The best things in life. Things created by God are so much better than things created by man. I plan to donate my nature Collections to a mission in East Kentucky for their kids who don’t have much down there. I have two storage sheds full of mounted insects seashells rocks minerals and fossils feathers pinecones antlers eggs and snake skins and turtle shells and and and and. I’ve been a book nut for years and the only ones I keep in my van are about 25 or 30 nature field guides. God bless the nomads especially those who see and love nature.