Newbie Question about framing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belchfire

Reaction score
Hello All

If things go like I think they will I will have a Sprinter Van some day

I hope to fix it up

But I was wondering
Why should I frame it (put an interior structure inside the cargo area)

What kind of framing material should I use ?

Should I insulate before or after I frame?

Thanks

The insulation needs to be the closest to the outer walls. The framing will be next, going inward. The framing includes all the interior "furniture" as bed, stove, storage and It is so simple it is hard to list, stuff.

Can I just insulate and put paneling over it
the bed will go in the back crosswise

My understanding is that framing is traditionally defined as building the structure of the walls. Typically, in the construction industry that means building a wall frame out of 2x4s placed every 24 inches.

In a van the best way to build it is determined somewhat by the climate in your location. For example where I live, in the PNW, its hot here only one month a year so I skip the reflectex and go:

Heavy duty plastic sheet>2 inches of polysio foamboard>firring strips along each van rib> a second layer of heavy plastic sheet> 1/8 or 1/4 inch wood panelling.

If you were in a hot climate mostly, you'd want reflectex as the first layer instead of the heavy plastic sheet to help 'reflect' off some of the heat.

Why insulate?

To main reasons:

1. Helps reduce outside noise
2. Retains heat for longer so that you spend less on propane via your heater

Some people do skip insulation, but those two above reasons are important *to me* thus I am definitely not skipping it.

Belchfire said:
Can I just insulate and put paneling over it
the bed will go in the back crosswise

That depends on a few variables. Typically there are 72 inches between the walls of the van right above the wheel wells. If you are placing your bed across the back that is the best place to put it. Now if you insulate you are taking away some of those 72 inches. If you are short-ish it wont matter. If you are close to 6 ft or over you will be cramped a bit when sleeping. If you choose not to insulate you *might* be okay.

In my situation, knowing that I want lots of insulation, I plan to place my bed near the rear door behind the driver seat lengthwise. I am 6ft tall and do like to stretch. I am thinking my bed will be 74 inches in length (by 30 wide)... maybe a tad more.

I am not sure I want framing seems like it would bring extra weight on board
I will probably have some shelves with book and I may be hanging things on the walls like pots and pans

So I suppose I can cross that bridge when I get to it

Well you dont have to use 2x4s. Its probably best to use the lightest lumber you think you can get away with. That said, if you are in a cold climate the insulation will keep your propane costs down to outweigh the extra fuel costs the weight of the insulation framing will cost to drive the van. I do plan to build light wherever possible... using plastic drawers etc

Best of luck.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "framing". Do you mean cabinets and such? Because your van walls are your primary framing. Depending on where you live or want to live, you may want to insulate or not. Then you may want to cover the walls with thin plywood or not. Then you might want to build cabinets or buy plastic or wood ones.
With a sprinter you may even want to put in a shower [emoji370][emoji371]
There's lots of people here that posted their own builds, including me, you may want to take a look for ideas. I just started a YouTube channel where I'm posting regarding my van build;

What I mean by framing is a wooden shell built inside the van lining the walls I am not sure I want cabinets and stuff I DO want a stove and shower

I do want to insulate since I may be spending some very cold winters in the van

I am going to take a look at your youtube documentation

You don't need any framing at all. You could use tape to mount the styrofoam and tape also to mount the panelng.

If you don't want to use tape, you could just use a 1x3 firing strip running along the top, middle and bottom edges of the walls and put the insulation behind it and between the ribs. Screw the paneling to the firing strips.
Bob

OK

That helps
Not sure why I was thinking of framing
Maybe I don't need it
Thanks

Right. Now you are getting it. The van itself is the "framing".

The only framing I will do is around the windows, not trying to hide the bare walls but wood to screw into and hold the insulation in place. The guy I bought the van from gutted the interior and used it to haul stuff from construction sites to the dump. Still pulling out plaster and nails from the cracks and crevasses, some time ago when i had a 1986 GMC van I was able to get a template for finishing the interior.

in my opinion most people overdue their framing in vans. I screwed or glued all my paneling to the walls on top of my insulation wich was also glued no framing. When I built my front wall, bed n cabinetry, I used 3/4 x 3/4 inch strips as framing pin nailed n glued together with 5mm(3/16) panelling glued and pin nailed onto this, once the glued is dry it is very strong, remember it is not bearing much weight if any, nor is it subject to weather. It is built like a boat, light and strong. I don't have a 2x2 anywhere except my bed pull out legs, no framing bigger then 3/4 by 3/4 and I tried to use cedar to keep the weight down. I salvaged most of the cedar from old windows, the thickest plywood is !/2 inch for the top of my bed, All the cabinetry is screwed to the floor and glued and or screwed to the walls turning the whole thing into one unit.

Belchfire; Here's a copy/paste from a post that our Fearless Leader (Bob) posted a while back :
I lived full-time in a box van in Anchorage, AK for 6 years quite comfortably, so it can be done. The bigger your space, the more comfortable you will be. However, I have a friend who lives full-time in his Ford Explorer in Denver, CO, so it can be done in a SUV. Here is what I recommend so that you can thrive instead of survive.

Buy a cargo van with as few windows as possible and bare metal walls. Get self-tapping sheet metal screws and run 1x2 inch rails at the top, bottom and middle of the walls, and the same with the roof. They will run from front to rear and you will screw into the vans ribs. At Home Depot buy 3/4 inch thick sheets of styrofoam insulation that are 4x8 feet wide and long.The 3/4 will bend to the curve of the walls. Put at least two layers on the walls and preferably more. Put at least 3 layers on the roof. The roof is most important. Cover the back doors with insulation. Build a wall with 2x2s between the back and driving area and cover it with plywood and styrofoam on the outside and reflectix on the inside by the living area. You will have to cut a door out of the plywood and use hinges to make it open and close. If that is more carpentry than you are up for, hang a heavy blanket on the drivers side and reflectix on the inside . The reflectic is a vapor barrier. On the floor I would just use a carpet pad and cheap carpeting. The floor will be cold, but there is no way to make it otherwise. Buy a tube of caulk and search out as many air leaks as you can find. That will keep heat into the van fairly well.

You want a true catalytic heater, they can be left running while you are asleep and nothing else can. In Alaska I used Olympian catalytic heaters. I turned them on in October and they ran 24/7 until May. I only turned them off to change the propane bottle. Buy an Olympian Wave 3 heater, a 20 lb propane bottle, a regulater, and a hose to connect the heater to the regulater. Follow the owners manual 100% and you will be totally safe. The main issues are the venting to let air in and the spaces around the heater. Follow those and you will be fine.

You will comfortable all winter with enough space to get a desk and really study. Bob

KinA