Newbie looking for the right rig (link to 5er added by mod, in original post)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have a contract on my house with a closing date of about 6 weeks from now.  I plan to get rid of most of my stuff and hit the road for a couple of years or longer?  I am a single woman with 2 large dogs.  I already have an F250 truck, so I am mostly looking at 5th wheels.  I don't want to pull more than 30'.  I have found a 2012 Arctic Fox 27-5L priced at $25,000.  This is more than I wanted to pay, but these RVs are priced high.  Are they worth the price?  Also, the RV is located in Phoenix, AZ and I am in AL.  I don't really have the time to drive out there and take a look.  I am thinking of hiring someone to inspect it and then buy it unseen.  The RV is equipped with solar and has had many upgrades.  I can send the link for the ad if anyone is interested in knowing more.

Link added by cyndi
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2012-Northwood+Mfg-ARCTIC+FOX+27.5L-5006905631
What do you think? Good buy or no?

I am thinking of removing the back seats of my extended cab and building a platform for my dogs.  They will have a tight fit - one 100# GSD and one 65# GSD.  It would be nice to buy a vehicle that we would have more room in going down the road, such as a Class C, but since I already have the truck and I trust it (have recently had it inspected and tuned up), I feel like sticking with it for now.

Any experience/advice to share?

Thanks!

Welcome

Have you checked the NADA guides for a ballpark value?
https://www.nadaguides.com/Rvs/2018/Arctic-Fox

We've got some really good eyes, here. Newcomers can't post a link, due to forum rules. If you'd like, PM me the link and I'll post it. it'll will be picked apart, inch by inch. I'd start a new thread in the RV section for maximum exposure. With a title like critique my possible purchase

Hi janeen

I read the responses to your post!
WOW there are such helpful people here on CheapRVLiving !
I am new to this site and it sure is nice to see such helpful advice!

I wouldn’t limit my search to 5th wheels. Less made and available, more extensive work on truck required and limits your use of truckbed for - - anything. There are more travel trailers available, sizes and brands. Think you’d get more for your money and easier to sell when you want to change.

Also consider a truck bed top. Does limit your rear view but a trailer or 5th wheel will do that too. A good setup might allow the dogs to ride back there safely. Certainly a place for certain types of storage.

Hi Janeen and welcome. Best of luck with everything!

Have you thought of a large camper shell,
but that might be too tight with your 2 big dogs .....
but shells on the bed of a truck can have the advantage of a pass though window where if you wanted to you could climb into the cab of the truck without exiting to the outdoors to get to the cab of the truck, your dogs could do this too.

But of course I'm thinking about my younger days of "climbing through the pass through" ;-)

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions! Here is another option that I have, which might be the best one since I have only a very short time until I have to be out of my house. I have a gooseneck horse trailer with a dressing room where I can put my bed over the truck bed and if I take out the dividers and tack room wall in the horse area, I will have an open space, 6' X 10', with windows on both sides and a double door with ramp at the end. I have some furniture that I can put in there; a couple of long tables for counters and I can get a couple of folding chairs. I can rig up some easy plumbing that I know how to fix if needed. I can also fix a shower and composting toilet. The horse area is already insulated; the dressing room is not. I just need to cover the butt wall where the manure has stuck and won't wash off. Anyone know of anyone who lives in a horse trailer or know of any reasons why it might not be a good idea?

I second the "expand your search" advice.
There are a ton of people out there who will loudly proclaim the benefits of towing a 5'er over a TT...but there are ultralight TT's out there also...and a properly setup bumper hitch works just fine.
(People grossly over-state the advantages. Most have never even done heavy towing.) :(
You need all that space for one person and two dogs?

Snowbirding, or you going to sit through a cold winter in the trailer?
Maybe living in the trailer on your own land eventually??
^^^Answers to these questions will bring much more well-honed advice.

Platform in the back of a crew cab is good for twin Rottweilers. Perfect.
No problem, (the lightest being just over 100 pounds.)
They don't like the jump into a tall truck as they get older, though.

Don't let solar installs influence your decision.
Most are left in place because they were not worth removing.
Solar power is redlining into the future like few other industries...and it keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.
5 years in solar age is a LOT.

I would not suggest buying it unseen unless you had ongoing relationship with the inspector person representing you.
...and that is a LOT of 5th wheel.

Horse trailer is a GREAT idea if you already own it.
(My guess is, you will quickly learn the heavy 5'er is overkill...and horsey stuff is worth money always. Locals go on the rodeo circuit and live in them for half the year on the road without complaint.)

Hi janeen

The horse trailer idea sounds like great Idea and will save you a lot of money. And rather than spend a ton of $ on a 5th wheel and later regret it because of it's cost, or if you find it to big (a new/used 5th wheel) for needs or for any other reason.

Lots of people have said smaller steps are better, that may or may not be good for you. You make changes later if you feel it's not working well for you.

I do have to say the whole Idea and how you explained it sounded so funny reality TV show ....

Especially when you wrote .... I just need to cover the butt wall where the manure has stuck and won't wash off. :) ;-)

Hi Minivanmotoman
All I can say is WOW WOW WOW
What a fabulous converted horse trailer !!!

Dare I sat ELEGANT !!! :) ;-)

Hi B and C

you wrote ...

A horse trailer will be built much better than a 5er and last a lot longer.

Sounds logical to me !

HORSES ARE HEAVY !!!

I also think you have the right idea with the horse trailer that you already have. It will get you out there doing it, without spending any extra money, make it comfortable, you will see all kinds of rigs and set ups that will inspire you. It will give you a chance to see what works best for you, Good luck.

I’m a cheap person so thinking about the horse trailer it could be something useful and not costly as you own it. As with any used trailer, 5th wheel, TT, checking the tires, axels, bearings, lights critical. Do horse trailers have brakes? If so check those and the truck brake hookup too.
Horse trailer or any trailer, RV, the roof is very important (and often fails) so would want that to be rain and snow proof.
The above’s where you are going to spend your money and effort.

Me personally, would not make any structural modifications to the trailer. I expect after 6-12 months you’ll want some different setup and a modified horse trailer would be virtually worthless, certainly to a horse person. You can have your potty, camp stove, zero gravity folding chair and all your clothes without changing the trailer.

Sounds like you already have some things you can make work and will cost you much less than $25K to get on the road. That’s a good place to be

I am a horse owner and former dairy farm worker- rent a power wash machine for a day and go to your closest dairy supply store and get the mild acid wall wash stuff. The clerk will know what you need. Your butt wall will sparkle and it is approved as safe for grade A dairies so it won't leave any fumes.   Once you rig up a home made living quarters horse trailer you will not lose money on it.  I know several friends looking for one.  That will give you a starter rig till you find the one that really suits you.

Here's another vote to use the horse trailer especially if you're heading West.  You'll know more in 6 months what you want/need and you will be able to sell the horse trailer.

I had a chance to get the horse trailer from our ranch, actually Pops would get pissed if anybody called it a horse trailer. he would snap at them and say it's a stock trailer. the thing is most of them are very narrow on the inside, it wouldn't work for me. if it works for you that's great they are built really well. highdesertranger

JD GUMBEE said:
I second the "expand your search" advice.
There are a ton of people out there who will loudly proclaim the benefits of towing a 5'er over a TT...but there are ultralight TT's out there also...and a properly setup bumper hitch works just fine.
(People grossly over-state the advantages. Most have never even done heavy towing.) :(
You need all that space for one person and two dogs?

Snowbirding, or you going to sit through a cold winter in the trailer?
Maybe living in the trailer on your own land eventually??
^^^Answers to these questions will bring much more well-honed advice.

Platform in the back of a crew cab is good for twin Rottweilers. Perfect.
No problem, (the lightest being just over 100 pounds.)
They don't like the jump into a tall truck as they get older, though.

Don't let solar installs influence your decision.
Most are left in place because they were not worth removing.
Solar power is redlining into the future like few other industries...and it keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.
5 years in solar age is a LOT.

I would not suggest buying it unseen unless you had ongoing relationship with the inspector person representing you.
...and that is a LOT of 5th wheel.

Horse trailer is a GREAT idea if you already own it.
(My guess is, you will quickly learn the heavy 5'er is overkill...and horsey stuff is worth money always. Locals go on the rodeo circuit and live in them for half the year on the road without complaint.)

Planning on boondocking
Not sure on how many miles/year
Truck:  F250, 2000, 98,000 miles, diesel, 4x4
Not planning on spending much time in cold weather.  I want to chase 70!
I feel peace about using the horse trailer, at least for now.  I won't modify the horse area in case I decide to sell it later.  Thanks for all of the good advice.  I can't wait to meet up with y'all at some of the caravan meet ups.  Starting to insulate the dressing room.