Newbie here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneleggedcowboy

Reaction score
Hello all my name is Bill and I am a modified full timer. I have a Ford pickup with slide in camper from the seventies. It has everything even a 5000 btu window ac unit. I have not really boondocked since my college days in a tent. Been a canpground camper on weekends. I will not be letting my home etc go because its mine, no mortgages etc. So for $300 a year insurance, less than a $100 in taxes, I am disabled and get a cut rate in NC, and a basic $15 or less per month utilities I have a warm, dry, home base. But I want to hit the road for 3-6 month stretched and then take a break here and then head out again to see more of the western and northern New England area. This site and forum is a really great resource! Thank you Bob and members for making.it so!

Hiya Bill!!

Welcome to the forum!

This is a great place, and there's alot of very knowledgable folks on here.

We plan on doing an extensive trip of the New England states next fall (when the colours are in full bloom.)
There's just so much to see back there! Lotsa of great historical places like Gettysburg, the beauty of New Hampshire and the Adirondacks, of course we've gotta check out NYC, and plan to spend several days at the Smithsonian.

How-d from Oregon!!

Hi Bill, what part of NC? I know the Asheville area and surrounding forests pretty thoroughly now, and my inessential stuff is in my Mom's basement in Winston-Salem. I can understand wanting to see other parts of the country but there's a lot of good stuff in Western NC in the summer. Great temperature profile up there, usually. If it gets too hot in Asheville, go into any National Forest halfway up the mountain, find a creek. Tree cover will be great, temperatures will be fine, won't matter how much the rest of the state is boiling over.

Cool, just realize if you want to beat the heat in the summer, all you gotta do is get on I-40 and drive 5.5 hours until you hit Asheville. Plenty to do in Western NC.

Going west in the spring YMMV. In the summer the 1st thing you need to do is get out of the Midwest. A few years back I cut north from Kentucky to Cincinnati to South Dakota, thinking if only I kept going north, it would get cooler. It doesn't. It's one big weather system and I learned to my chagrin that most of SD is actually a swamp. Native peoples used an extensive river system in the state and there's a pretty cool archaeological site in Mitchell, SD if you happen to go through there.

Once you hit WY things will cool down, but you may very well have the opposite problem at the various higher altitudes. Too cold! The Bighorn wasn't defrosted and Yellowstone had 12 ft. of snow over the southern approach. I didn't have any cold weather gear at the time. I looked at a US map and said, hey, look at all these National Forests I can go camping in. Didn't realize lots of 'em were at high elevation and would be fairly cold. That year had lotsa moisture, lotsa flooding, supersaturated soils so trees could fall down at a moment's notice, embankments and roadsides could disappear. I saw the remnants of a few places where it had happened, where parts of roads next to rivers were just gone.

The possibility of trees falling was the biggest real threat I faced that year. One night I did something dumb, I camped in this NF with all these trees, which I realized had orange marks on them! I thought oh no, maybe the rangers have been marking trees for removal that are likely to fall. So I packed up camp and left. Um, turned out the markings on trees mean a timber sale. They're either trees to be sold or trees to leave alone, depending. I left for nothing. And my driving that night was dangerous, I was so tired. I finally just pulled over at some business in the middle of nowhere, slept, and cleared out shortly before dawn. Ah the learning curve of the early days.

Once I got to Seattle and had some time to think, I acquired some of the necessary mild winter / high altitude style gear, like polyester thermals. I had these British military wool pants from the 1950s. The fabric held up but all the buttons popped off because the thread was weak. I had a great time in the arid Eastern Cascades and really want to go back. In later seasons I acquired a more serious winter mummy bag, and a comforter, so now the dog and I can handle 20*F although I don't choose to stay in that for long. A pair of hand-me-down ski pants from my Dad has been my preferred cold weather bottom gear.

BLM land is typically too hot in the day for my taste, you start frying at 8 AM. I tried to rig up some shade with a 25' tarp, and I just created a 25' foot low slung oven. The BLM land is excellent as a "sleep and scoot" place at night though, just leave in the morning. Especially outside Cody WY, last stop before Yellowstone.

Welcome! I hope you get to see the places you are planning to visit and you enjoy your travels!

I've said it before...the information on this forum is priceless: where to go, where not to go, etc.

Thanks Ladywolfe I am gonna get out there and see good ole america the right way....backroads and normal country folks. Where the real world exists.

Welcome Bill,
I've got a sticks & bricks home too.

Hey there I am new in this forum..
I hope it would be very nice for me..
Thanks for everyone in advance for the further cooperate..