Newbie and gas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you take reasonable measures for ventilation, I think both propane and butane stoves are just fine inside.   The single burner butane stoves make for a very versatile camping/RV stove, but they were originally designed for indoor, countertop use, and my guess is that is what they are overwhelmingly used for around the world.

The biggest thing you need to look for in a stove of any kind for use indoors in your vehicle is stability!

How stable is the stove to start with and how stable are the pots you put on top of it.

I have a Trangia cook stove that I  use for backpacking/canoe tripping but the only pots that are stable on it are the Trangia pots that came with the stove. All my regular cookware doesn't fit on the pot rests and because of the handles become unbalanced. The last thing I want is either the stove to tip over or the pot to spill it's contents all over my van. it's wonderful to cook on but doesn't meet the stability test.

That's why I don't recommend the tiny backpacking stoves for use in a vehicle.

Reporting back .... a little late.  I'm still fumbling with the little Coleman butane stove. And still flummoxed. After I had been home awhile from that first trip and the stove had been sitting in the basement, I tried it and it lit right up. Same can that would not light in Texas in Feb. Last fall I took it to Michigan and it lit every time. Mostly I'm just boiling water for tea and my dog's freeze dried meat so it isn't getting a heavy workout.

Headed back to AZ in January. That bottle worked until it ran out. Put in a new bottle (a rather expensive bottle of Coleman butane rather than the cheap Korean). It would not light. Tried a spare Korean can.  Nope. *sigh* I did not try with a lighter because I could see the spark. It all went back in the basement when I got home. Tried again after a couple months. Lit right up. I don't know what to think. It was not that cold and was not at high altitude. Maybe cans don't like riding around (standing upright) in the car?

Did get a wind protector that stands up around the stove. That works.

don't trust the little sparky thingy even if you can see the spark. if it will not light try a lighter.

when it won't light can you hear/small the gas?

highdesertranger

Me again. Packing up to head south next week. Pulled out the stove, attempted to light. Nada. Pulled out the can. It is heavy and sloshes. Tried again spark but no light. Smelled gas. Took it outside to try lighting with flame. Nothing. The lighter thingy always sparks. Prius camping. I don't have enough room to carry something so unreliable. Hesitant to just buy another. Have a 12v mug that will heat water and am pondering a Hot Logic Mini to just run off the car.

Coleman propane stove is the answer to all the questions. They last forever.   ~crofter (has never owned a butane stove)

Things to check before you give up:

Make sure that the cartridge of butane is properly installed.

Check that the lever that engages the canister is depressed all the way. It will not engage if the canister is not installed properly.

If all else is fine, take out the butane canister and turn the stove upside down. Check that all the fittings are good. I had one person bring me their stove last year at the WRTR. Fresh out of the box, the fittings weren't even attached to each other...no wonder it wouldn't light.

Also, do as HDR suggested and try lighting the stove  (after checking all the above) with a lighter or match. The auto light is the first to act up on them.

Almost There said:
...Also, do as HDR suggested and try lighting the stove  (after checking all the above) with a lighter or match. The auto light is the first to act up on them....
I had a similar experience with my Buddy Heater (propane appliance) when I first got it. It turned out to be operator error combined with possible igniter problem.  Now I use a match to light just to be sure, but the igniter often works also part of the time.   ~crofter

Woost2 said:
Back from my inaugural travels with my Prius. I like the size and stability of the square butane stove and the first bottle worked OK. I never got it lit again after that one. I tried three of the other bottles I had. All lit with gusto, went out immediately and never lit again. The spark was snapping. Any thoughts on this?

I was at Chisos Basin in Big Bend so ... maybe 5000 feet. Temps into the 30s at night. I mention that because people were saying "oh, it might be too cold/high for butane" but that sounds ridiculous. People backpack with butane. I did try again when I had a day in the 80s and still nada. I intend to buy another bottle and see if it is just bad luck with gas. It was the cheap stuff from the Asian food store. Korean made, I think.

Another issue was that the vaguest puff of a breeze impacted the flame. Which wasn't very robust even when I had one. I tried various wind blocking methods and was able to eventually get soup hot, but jeez ... what a pain. Need to find something that actually does the job blocking wind.

Anyway, had a great first trip and managed without much cooking. Good thing I've never had a coffee jones.
sounds like it might be a faulty piezo igniter.  

You can purchase folding metal wind screens to put around the stove.

I bought a dual fuel stove from Gas One, it is wonderful, excellent quality, better than the average lower cost butane stoves. Quality reflected in the pricing which is higher than Coleman and other brands. If the piezo igniter on it ever goes bad I can purchase that one part as a replacement instead of replacing the whole stove.

When you light these stoves you have to turn the gas all the way to high to get them to light, then you can immediately turn the flame down to the level you need. If there is not a lot of fuel left in the can they are unlikely to ignite properly and stay lit.

When you are done cooking with a Gas One and turn the burner knob all the way to off the butane canister will disconnect. That is a terrific safety feature of this company's stove design because you don't have to remember to do that second step of disconnecting the bottle. The next time you use it just push down on the lever on the front to reconnect the cannister and then turn the knob all the way to high, it will ignite and then immediately turn the flame lower to your desired flame height.

If I plan to use it several times that day and the days following that I don't bother to take out the canister and stand it upright. So far I have not noticed any leaking canister issues, but of course I could one day end up with a defective canister.

For longer storage of a partly used bottle and for storing the new, unused bottles I do stand them upright.

One thing to note as the fuel begins to run out the size of the flame will somewhat  begin to decrease  because there is less pressure inside the canister. At first it is not too noticeable but the you might be suddenly thinking, what the heck, I don't have much of a flame now! A new person to using a butane stove might not be expecting to see the flame size suddenly begin to drop off but that is perfectly normal and not a defect of the stove. It is simply a result of the gas inside of the canister getting low. If it gets too low for what you are cooking change canisters and set the one with just a little gas aside for doing something like making toast or keeping something on a low simmer for a few minutes or even just use it to heat up the room a little until the flame goes completely out. The canister should ALWAYS be completely empty before you dispose of it.

I have purchased gas canisters at an Asian store and did not notice any difference in the quality of the can or the contents or the volume of gas in the can compared to cans I purchased at the Big 5 sporting goods store. But just like many things, sometimes a faulty lot of materials might end up in your shopping cart be it in a store front or an online shopping cart. But the majority of companies go out of their way to replace the item or refund your money unless their policy states no returns or refunds.