Newbee Question About Fiberglass

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamH1279

Reaction score
Hi all. I am considering buying a shuttle bus with a fiberglass body to convert into a tiny home. The tiny home would have solar on the roof, framed insulated walls, insulated floor, insulated ceiling with wood paneling, cabinetry where the walls meet the ceiling, and various other typical features of this kind of build. 

I was wondering if anyone experienced with building/converting these type of vehicles can offer their opinion on choosing a fiberglass body. My concerns are finding mounting points for insulation, framing, solar, etc. Is fiberglass a suitable material for a build like this?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions or experience shared.
-Adam

Is this shuttle bus molded fiberglass? If so, read on. If not, nevermind the following...

Molded fiberglass trailers are made in two prices that are joined. Every place that needs extra support has wood reinforcing it (such as a/c and vent/fan penetrations, built in fiberglass bench seats, table support hardware). The wood is fiberglassed directly to the inside of the shell.

It has pex tube stuff for water supply, and that is run along the perimeter, mostly under seats/bed. The seats are all storage cabinets also. Where the water lines are not hidden by cabinets, it is covered by a swoop of carpet or curve of headliner or carpet. The wiring follows the same path along the perimeter until it needs to go vertical.

Speaking only for my particular brand of trailer, it is insulated with two-sided reflectix-like stuff. Its glued to the inside walls and ceiling, and marine headliner is glued to that. Wiring is run to lights etc inside cabinets and/or under the headliner. Maybe under the insulation, too, I don't know.

Rivets attach the fiberglass cabinets and benches to the shell.

I would be careful to use very lightweight materials and reinforce as needed.

That's just a general, un-technical description. I expect someone to come along and say it more exactly and possibly correct a point or two.

Post pics if you can!

You can use thickened epoxy to adhere wood blocking to the walls of the shell. That is what I did with my small vintage fiberglass trailer to allow for fastening cabinets, paneling and to give a gap behind the panels for insulation.

I have a R Vision Ultra-Lite travel trailer and it is built very solid. It is well insulated, 3 season, enclosed belly and heated tanks. I would rather have fiberglass than aluminium sided trailer as the last one of those I had did not take boondocking roads well and I had panel separation issues.