New York Times article - How NOT to experience van life........

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one that is suspicious of articles that seem anti- van life?
I noticed on YouTube a few anti - van stuff.
The reasons for my distain is that during the hippie movement etc- when you have the masses not buying products and growing their own foods and living off the grid ,making their own clothes etc the government seems to promote ( CIA and FBI infiltration ) the hippy life as bad
The powers that be don't want millions of people living in vans ...this would upset the system and draw attention to what's wrong with it.
So I really think on YouTube these folks are part of a propaganda to get the 'American dream' back on track.
Become that consumer and have a 30 year mortgage.
(Just like Death to Disco and had a record burning event at a public baseball stadium.)
It makes you wonder.

The reasons for my distain is that during the hippie movement etc- when you have the masses not buying products and growing their own foods and living off the grid ,making their own clothes etc the government seems to promote ( CIA and FBI infiltration ) the hippy life as bad
The powers that be don't want millions of people living in vans ...this would upset the system and draw attention to what's wrong with it.

So I really think on YouTube these folks are part of a propaganda to get the 'American dream' back on track.
I think they infiltrated and discredited, because many were anti-war and involved in protests and marches.

Right or wrong, capitalism in the US is colossal and hippies were no threat to it. Vanlifers are no threat either.

Nomads still need to stick together and stay informed. The west still has large areas of public land. Not so in the midwest and east. Illinois is 99% privatized.

Regarding those YT videos. I watched a few and they were from former nomads who became disgruntled. Personality conflicts among nomads. I wouldn't worry:)

Hmmm. I do believe there IS a strong and concerted effort by those who would profit off it to keep the wheels of unfettered capitalism on the rails. There's a lot of propaganda aimed towards selling people against living simply and sustainably without being in massive debt.

I would NOT doubt that there is backlash against the movement of people getting out of the mortgage or rent/wage slave/debtors spiral. I've seen a lot of articles and videos about "the hidden downsides" of tiny house/nomadic living, as well as about the supposed waves of regret after "The Great Resignation." The latter articles especially (even on NPR!) have been total fluff with no actual supporting evidence that the people who have left their jobs are actually sorry, just a few stories about how a few were disappointed when they thought they got better jobs and found that their new employers were even more exploitative than the previous ones. Which to me, is an even stronger argument for abandoning the rat race and finding new ways to live.

Those that have a vested interest in keeping most Americans locked into this cycle so that they can make money off it constantly produce content to keep people buying. Magazine articles in why you need to update your house's style and what to buy and how many thousands of dollars it will cost you but how it's worth it. Or what the latest new convenience is that you HAVE to have to make your life "easier". Or glamour pieces on huge splashy homes, etc. Why wouldn't they produce content to keep people afraid of leaving a life revolving around conventionally built sticks and bricks and wage slave jobs?

After I was widowed, had to give up my house, and chose hike the Pacific Crest Trail, I realized what a sham it all is. You don't need a lot to live happily. My biggest concern is taking care of my two cats (who I left with a trusted friend to hike), or I'd be doing a small van build myself. As it is, a 26' 1995 Class A should be more than sufficient. Yes, it's taking a lot of time and money to launch, but once we do, I'm hoping to live in a way that keeps me debt free for the rest of my days.

I have to laugh at the puff pieces whining about how hard it is to live on the road, or in a small space etc. Actual nomads and tiny house dwellers do have legitimate struggles and hardships, but they go beyond the crap I've read that is supposed to make people reconsider doing it. Things like how you have to be more organized and not buy as much stuff. Or how you have to be cleaner or it smells bad. Or how much harder it is to have big dinner parties. Oh no, how terrible. 🙄

Last edited:
Hmmm. I do believe there IS a strong and concerted effort by those who would profit off it to keep the wheels of unfettered capitalism on the rails. There's a lot of propaganda aimed towards selling people against living simply and sustainably without being in massive debt.

I would NOT doubt that there is backlash against the movement of people getting out of the mortgage or rent/wage slave/debtors spiral. I've seen a lot of articles and videos about "the hidden downsides" of tiny house/nomadic living, as well as about the supposed waves of regret after "The Great Resignation." The latter articles especially (even on NPR!) have been total fluff with no actual supporting evidence that the people who have left their jobs are actually sorry, just a few stories about how a few were disappointed when they thought they got better jobs and found that their new employers were even more exploitative than the previous ones. Which to me, is an even stronger argument for abandoning the rat race and finding new ways to live.

Those that have a vested interest in keeping most Americans locked into this cycle so that they can make money off it constantly produce content to keep people buying. Magazine articles in why you need to update your house's style and what to buy and how many thousands of dollars it will cost you but how it's worth it. Or what the latest new convenience is that you HAVE to have to make your life "easier". Or glamour pieces on huge splashy homes, etc. Why wouldn't they produce content to keep people afraid of leaving a life revolving around conventionally built sticks and bricks and wage slave jobs?

After I was widowed, had to give up my house, and chose hike the Pacific Crest Trail, I realized what a sham it all is. You don't need a lot to live happily. My biggest concern is taking care of my two cats (who I left with a trusted friend to hike), or I'd be doing a small van build myself. As it is, a 26' 1995 Class A should be more than sufficient. Yes, it's taking a lot of time and money to launch, but once we do, I'm hoping to live in a way that keeps me debt free for the rest of my days.

I have to laugh at the puff pieces whining about how hard it is to live on the road, or in a small space etc. Actual nomads and tiny house dwellers do have legitimate struggles and hardships, but they go beyond the crap I've read that is supposed to make people reconsider doing it. Things like how you have to be more organized and not buy as much stuff. Or how you have to be cleaner or it smells bad. Or how much harder it is to have big dinner parties. Oh no, how terrible. 🙄
Nice thread! You're right too. I think some people still believe in being that hamster 🐹 on the wheel. ..and love that role
Me myself see my once nice neighborhood going through deteration.
I don't want to be one of those seniors that got stuck in the sticks and bricks and can't move or there's no place to go.
I'm still working on my 1992 camper van and hope to test the waters.
I could use a little adventure in my life and some clarity.
I love having the option of being a nomad as things change you change.

Am I the only one that is suspicious of articles that seem anti- van life?
I noticed on YouTube a few anti - van stuff.
Become that consumer and have a 30 year mortgage.
(Just like Death to Disco and had a record burning event at a public baseball stadium.)
It makes you wonder.

The hidden message is that vanlife is a lifestyle choice as opposed to the reality that the American dream of home ownership has become unattainable and growing numbers of people are living in their vehicles due to economic circumstances.

One big thing that is missing from her experience and therefore from her piece is interaction with other van dwellers. One of the beautiful aspects of vanlife is the community, the generosity, the willingness to help one another and to share knowledge.

Bob talks about similar things in his books and videos
What you put in your own book or video is different from what you put up on a forum. Different activities, different rules. I imagine even the most whack thing that's ever been posted and deleted here, if the person wanted to write a book and put it in, they could.

Of course it takes a little more effort to produce a book than to post to a forum.

Hi everyone, I subscribe to the digital version of the New York Times, and recently read (with amusement and horror...) an article written by Caity Weaver. Amusement, because it is at times quite funny, but horror because of the "life experience" it portrays. While it's obviously exactly what will happen if you set out for a day or a life in a van, it certainly would discourage anyone thinking about such a move. Anyhow, it can be read online or listened to in an audio version.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/20/magazine/van-life-dwelling.html
I ran across that article too. Although the writing was okay, it was really only about her personality and not vanlife in any consideration. Some people should just stay indoors.

I wonder if she might have had a better experience if she had actually done more homework and studied her van choices better.

I know many people would NOT choose my set up in my van anymore then I would choose a different set up for myself. But it is my second van, and I spent many years driving around for vacations as a kid. I know what I like.

Hubby spent years being drug from one migrant farm job to another as a kid and he has to work at having fun when we are out and about. Always feels like he is going to work and just passing through as fast as he can.... We have had a few disagreements about this. She might have had a better time if she had someone with a bit of experience traveling with her. Really trying to get to one of the busiest parks at a special day when something is happening......

But then again maybe it will rub off some of the rosy story book coloring about the life of a full-time vanner. Just like every other life it takes work, skill, and knowledge.

To bad she didn't have one of you experienced folks along to set her straight. Maybe someone will write a better story and get paid for it....

Would I be wrong if I said that there's more than one kind of van-dwelling? and that she seemed to be trying (however half-heartedly) to check out the more luxurious-cocoon end, rather than the self-reliant / community-building / adventurous end?

Hi everyone, I subscribe to the digital version of the New York Times, and recently read (with amusement and horror...) an article written by Caity Weaver. Amusement, because it is at times quite funny, but horror because of the "life experience" it portrays. While it's obviously exactly what will happen if you set out for a day or a life in a van, it certainly would discourage anyone thinking about such a move. Anyhow, it can be read online or listened to in an audio version.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/20/magazine/van-life-dwelling.html

If you don't have a subscription to The New York Times, you can read the article here.

I really think she would have been more open to the experience if her parents had named her after the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad. (for those of you who are puzzled, look it up. or listen to Taj Mahal's "She Caught the Katy". that'll make it clear. I just like being obscure. sorry.)