New York City Will(might) Turn Every Payphone Into A Free WiFi Hotspot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo_mccoy

Reaction score
Article here.

I think it's way too eary to say for sure if the city will actually do this. Let's hope it catches on! I think the US is a bit behind the curve on this sort of thing so this is nice to finally see. Could be a game changer for the stealth/urban oriented vandweller.

They may claim very high speeds, but it will probably be like every other city wifi-- high-speed dial-up.

I'm wondering how many payphones NYC has. I can't remember the last time I saw one, anywhere. Do payphones still exist?

cyndi said:
I'm wondering how many payphones NYC has. I can't remember the last time I saw one, anywhere. Do payphones still exist?

I was wondering the same thing. MaBell has been busy ripping out pay phones everywhere unless a client was willing to pay for having them there. It used to be a money making thing for some businesses, now it's an expense.

I found a better article here.

Says there will be 10,000 internet pylons that broadcast "up to gigabit speeds." That's fast.

"LinkNYC will be the fastest and largest free municipal Wi-Fi deployment in the world."

"A new city plan dubbed LinkNYC will replace public pay telephones with a console that provides free public Wi-Fi ("up to gigabit speeds") 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The physical pillar will also provide free domestic phone calls (including 911 and 311), a charging station for your phones, and a "touchscreen tablet interface to access City services, directions, and more."

I doubt this type of plan would work today. I can visualize the fights for free access in heavily populated cities like NYC. The length of time each user would tie up the location would frustrate and anger others waiting.

Bob

I thought the same thing but heard on Tech News Today that the pylons are just going to be for things like pointing tourists in the right direction. The real value will be puclic wifi for those who have their own device.