New van flooring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panda

Reaction score
Just bought a new van, it comes standard with some kind of rubber all weather floor mat with a spongy cushion material underneath. Any suggestion on whether I should open it up to place some insulation? I want to prevent as much heat from seeping in as possible. Or if I should just place some wood flooring right on top? I imagine wood would be a lot easier to sweep than this rubber stuff. Any thoughts?

Insulation is a complex topic, and the floor is only one out of six sides.

How hot is the weather?

Will you be running aircon?

Will you also be boondocking in very cold weather?

The floor is the least important part to insulate. I have a rubber mat on my floor and it is great especially when it gets wet. The floor is easy on the feet in the winter, too. Without looking at it first hand, I would leave it.

I'm wanting to place a twin frame on top of the flooring but I imagine if I laid wood down, I'd have nothing to bolt the frame into? You're right though, it does make sense to keep the rubber mat as winters would be chilly

John61CT said:
Insulation is a complex topic, and the floor is only one out of six sides.

How hot is the weather?

Will you be running aircon?

Will you also be boondocking in very cold weather?

I won't be in any hot weather, but will spend a season in very cold weather. 

Only a vent for air conditioning, no plans for boon docking... I don't imagine solar panels work well in winter snow? Is using a quiet gasoline powered generator feasible to keep warm?

Panda, using a generator to keep warm is expensive. Much more efficient to use a propane or diesel heater.

Panda said:
I won't be in any hot weather, but will spend a season in very cold weather. 

Only a vent for air conditioning, no plans for boon docking... I don't imagine solar panels work well in winter snow? Is using a quiet gasoline powered generator feasible to keep warm?
Look at Webasto-style parking heaters, or Propex HS2211

Electric for heat only makes sense with cheap mains available.

Put more R-value up top, less below.

I'm just starting insulation too. My trailer plumbing had frozen before I got it and we've got the bathroom all apart. The insulation in the floor is ruined of course because of the water damage so I'll be putting in some new stuff. The front wall is also missing its insulation so I'll be putting some in there as well. When you get a 42 year old trailer, you have to be prepared for a few repairs. I'm just glad it isn't any worse

Cheers
Lois