New to the van community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climbing coastie

Reaction score
I just purchased my first van this weekend. It's a 2015 2500 Diesel Promaster 159" wheelbase with a high roof. Unfortunately I found the best deal on a white van, but not too disappointed with the price I got. Drove 500+ miles the day I bought it and averaged 24mpg!

Looking forward to documenting the conversion into a campervan that will see some extended use.
First on the plate is a bed platform and windows/vents.

Very nice vehicle for converting , I'll be watching this one too ! :cool:

So are you going to do a full conversion or will it be something you can take your camping set up
out of to restore it to an empty Van for hauling stuff ?   Dual usage ? 

I'm much happier with "Fleet White" for a color.  My earlier Vans were darker in color and got
considerably hot inside.  Tilt out windows in the rear doors helped with cross flow ventilation
so much.

I found mosquito net that I could buy by the yard and make screens for the front doors and
rear windows and it made sleeping at night so much easier.   Not difficult to do at all if you have
someone with a sewing machine.

Thanks all! I’ll try and post pictures soon and follow up with as I build it out.

I plan on doing a modified full conversion on it including a fridge, stove, and a sink but no shower or toilet. The way I’m planning on building the bed platform will make it removable, but don’t plan on hauling a lot with it. The “kitchen” area and cabinets are going to be semi-permanent.

My intent with it is to use it for weekend getaways until I retire next summer. After that I will be in it more as I climb around the country.

Congratulations! In January I bought a 2014 Promaster 2500 and am loving it. I have an appointment next week at Sportsmobile-Texas to discuss my conversion and to pay a deposit to reserve a time for 2016. (They are full up for 2015.) I want to keep things simple and am mainly interested in having a floor, solar system, attic fan, and side door screen installed. I, too, plan to retire next year and hit the road. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your conversion.

What average speeds did you drive to get 24MPG? I can get 21 in my V8 Explorer... If I go 55mph!

I had the cruise set on about 70-73 most of the way. Then jumped up to 76-80 the last hour and a half or so. Going through the hills I would shut off the cruise and let it drop a bit on the uphill and coast the downhills.

Are you going to put a roof vent in it? Also, any plans for adding windows in the rear?

Myke, one roof vent is in. It should be posted on the blog this weekend. A Maxxair will be going in towards the front. I am planning on CRL T-windows in the slider and across from it. The slider door window should get ordered by the end of the month.

Nice writing Coastie!

If you don't mind a suggestion - one thing I did notice because I went back to the beginning and read from start to current - there is no way to go from one blog post to another. Most blogs I read have links at the bottom of each blog post linking the next newest post and the next oldest post for ease of reading and/or a link to 'home' on each page. Using my back button worked but it meant going back to home and then selecting the next post.

b689b720a1aac52af15618bae03cd7e9.jpg

Almost There said:
Nice writing Coastie!

If you don't mind a suggestion - one thing I did notice because I went back to the beginning and read from start to current - there is no way to go from one blog post to another. Most blogs I read have links at the bottom of each blog post linking the next newest post and the next oldest post for ease of reading and/or a link to 'home' on each page. Using my back button worked but it meant going back to home and then selecting the next post.

Great idea!! I'll go back and add a link.