New to site...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFit0300

Reaction score
Just joined. I am moving into my Honda Fit in one week. I'm selling my belongings, figuring out if I need storage, trying to get my car in shape, figuring out what gear I need and how to set myself up for success...

I am in SW Florida and have two small dogs, so I could use advice on keeping cool, any dog gear that could make their lives comfortable, what to avoid storing in the car with the heat and humidity...

Looking forward to delving into the site and connecting with fellow mobile dwellers ??

Welcome to the CRVL forums, RedFit0300! As dog lovers, we've always made our dog's comfort a priority. Living in a vehicle takes that to a whole new level.
There's a forum just for that type of information
https://vanlivingforum.com/Forum-Traveling-with-Pets

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome, that will be a challenge, not a dog person myself but many on the road have dogs, I keep thinking about getting a dog though

Welcome to the CRVL Forum :) 

I agree with wagoneer,  after about a week your dogs may be wanting to go on strike.  LOL
But if it is only going to be for a week as an experiment and it's decent weather to where they could
live under the car and have free roam they may enjoy it rather well. 

I used to take my Grandmothers old weiner dog on the road with me in my small Ford Van. (my first Van/Camper)   Plenty of room for both of us and she claimed the passengers seat for her travel seat and
bed.  (liked that warm engine cowling between the seats, so she did)   In warm weather under the van was her
favorite spot. 

If you could get you a large tarp to set up like a roof and pull the car under one side of it, you would have an area for folding camp chairs to sit in comfortably.  It would expand the sense of space and comfort zone.  If you are in a campsite where a picnic table is provided and you could set up a awning like I've mentioned you'd have table and bench under a cover.  The rest would be provisions for your cooking, ice chest refrigeration, clothing & misc tools etc. 

You may even want to consider one of these.  A Jungle Hammock. 

I know one guy who took one of these and made roll up thin canvas side curtains that could
be rolled down on a breezy night and tied.  He took one of those foam egg crate mattress
covers and cut it in 3 pieces to make a foam mattress to put into the hammock.  Made a good
insulator for him so he slept comfortably and warm at night in his sleeping bag he used in it.

ubbthreads.php