New to Site but not Lifestyle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simplydavid

Reaction score
Greetings,

All things are relative in the RV lifestyle ... some operate out of rolling Taj Mahal's with all the amenities and some prefer Spartan conditions for whatever reasons.  However, the common thread is a wanderlust and that's what' most important!  Me, I operate out of a large truck camper with slide out and a 4x4 duelly that allows me to get into some really remote places (i.e., abandoned air strips in Canada of WWII vintage and the likes).  I'm often pulling my boat or an enclosed trailer with my motorcycle or ATV) ... just depends on the itch at the time.  I'm neither rich nor poor, but I love boondocking whether it's a Walmart parking lot, the back of a truck stop or some other God forsaken place.  Generally operate off one or two Honda quiet generators since I enjoy the creature comforts of air conditioning and satellite TV while I'm "roughing" it.  I had all the being miserable I can stand from my days in the service.  I've had my current camper for two years and, according to my log, I have 130 nights in it and, as a new retiree, am looking forward to a lot more!

David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 36
Hi. Welcome! Cool set-up. Really nice looking canoes (kayaks?) on top of that trailer. Sounds like you've found your sweet spot for setting up for your own needs and wants. :)

anewbiewannabe said:
Hi. Welcome! Cool set-up.  Really nice looking canoes (kayaks?) on top of that trailer. Sounds like you've found your sweet spot for setting up for your own needs and wants. :)

Thanks ... my best friend (guy in the picture) actually built those canoes in his shop especially for a trip we took up the ALCAN in 2013. That picture was near Devil's Tower, WY, during the early part of that trip.

nice looking rig. beautiful canoes. keep posting I would like to here more about your adventures. highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL forums David! It sounds like you've had some interesting adventures. Pictures and stories are always appreciated around here!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome Simplydavid,Are you going to be on the road continuous or home basing occasionally?Devils Tower is pretty impressive.

Bob Dickerson said:
Welcome Simplydavid,Are you going to be on the road continuous or home basing occasionally?Devils Tower is pretty impressive.

Right now I'm home basing out of Austin, TX until early July with several short trip planned until then. On 5 July I'm leaving for Sturgis, SD. Plan to take two days to get there and then parking my rig and trailer on the property of a friend of a friend. Downloading my motorcycle and leaving for Nashville, TN, where I'll join my brother and two of his friends for a three-week trip up through New England, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Then we'll ride across the Canadian side of the Great Lakes before dropping back down into Minnesota on our way back to the camper and the Stugis Motorcycle Rally. After the rally, not really sure how long I'll take to work my way back to TX or even the route I'll take back to TX. I'll be giving that some thought before I leave or perhaps just make it up on the fly. After all, I'll still have about six weeks before cold weather starts creeping in up north.

Simplydavid said:
Right now I'm home basing out of Austin, TX until early July with several short trip planned until then.  On 5 July I'm leaving for Sturgis, SD.  Plan to take two days to get there and then parking my rig and trailer on the property of a friend of a friend.  Downloading my motorcycle and leaving for Nashville, TN, where I'll join my brother and two of his friends for a three-week trip up through New England, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.  Then we'll ride across the Canadian side of the Great Lakes before dropping back down into Minnesota on our way back to the camper and the Stugis Motorcycle Rally.  After the rally, not really sure how long I'll take to work my way back to TX or even the route I'll take back to TX.  I'll be giving that some thought before I leave or perhaps just make it up on the fly.  After all, I'll still have about six weeks before cold weather starts creeping in up north.

Pick me up on your way through Ontario will you, pretty please!!.... :D :D

I know how to pack really light!!

The more I hear of other peoples' trips the more I can't wait to get on the road!

Hi David. Welcome. Those canoes are beautiful!

Your proposed trip sounds wonderful. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Your setup looks comfy. I know so little of truck campers I didn't realize they had slide outs. I those were just for RVs. I learn something new everyday on this forum and about this lifestyle. Thanks for joining the conversation here.

Cheers

gypsychic said:
Hi David. Welcome. Those canoes are beautiful!

Your proposed trip sounds wonderful. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Your setup looks comfy. I know so little of truck campers I didn't realize they had slide outs. I those were just for RVs. I learn something new everyday on this forum and about this lifestyle. Thanks for joining the conversation here.

Cheers

Actually, some truck campers have as many as three slideouts. With the right kind of truck, they give you a lot of flexibility regarding whatever else you want to tow. With my 4x4 duelly (obviously going slowly), I can get to places the vast majority of RVers can only dream of going. Google Arctic Fox and Lance campers to give you an idea!

Almost There said:
Pick me up on your way through Ontario will you, pretty please!!.... :D :D

I know how to pack really light!!

The more I hear of other peoples' trips the more I can't wait to get on the road!

Actually, I'm a tag-along on the motorcycle trip. My brother and his friends had it planned in detail long before I decided to jump on the bandwagon. To be honest, I'm only slightly aware of the route through that part of Canada. I've traveled extensively in Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon so I'm a lot more familiar with the geography there. I do know we have to take a ferry from Sydney, Nova Scotia, to Port aux Basque, Newfoundland, and where our hotel reservations are along the way.

If you pack more than two sets of clothes, you'll have to hold the excess in your lap for the entire trip! :)

Simplydavid said:
Actually, I'm a tag-along on the motorcycle trip.  My brother and his friends had it planned in detail long before I decided to jump on the bandwagon.  To be honest, I'm only slightly aware of the route through that part of Canada.  I've traveled extensively in Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon so I'm a lot more familiar with the geography there.  I do know we have to take a ferry from Sydney, Nova Scotia, to Port aux Basque, Newfoundland, and where our hotel reservations are along the way.

If you pack more than two sets of clothes, you'll have to hold the excess in your lap for the entire trip!  :)

Unless they like to try to take the bikes on the busiest stretch of highway on the continent (around Toronto), they'll be taking you on some very scenic highways through central Ontario and then along the north shore of the great lakes. The biggest problem with those highways is keeping your eye on the road instead of the scenery! Although after the scenery in BC, Ontario may look rather plain! I did 3,400 kms of BC highways last fall and caught a lot of flies with the jaw dropping scenery!

I'm used to backpacking. If you bring it you have to carry it so not only do I not carry more than 2 sets, they're lightweight and fold up real small!!... :D :D