New Tire Suggestions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
Time for new shoes for the Lady!

Currently running Michelin LT225/75R16 Load range E 10 ply and want to keep that kind of load range and ply.

The options are making me dizzy... :D 

Are Canadian produced Michelins THAT much better than something produced overseas?

Willing to spend the bucks if I need to but would rather the money be in my pocket than anyone else's... :rolleyes:

I've gotten almost 60,000 miles from this set, don't know if that's good or not!

Suggestions please!

I know from bad personal experience that Big-O Tire's store brand, Mesa, is junk. Out of round, fast wearing. I had Michelin LTX M/S 2's before and loved them. Now I have Cooper Adventurer H/T's and love them too.

That said, I think if you went to someplace like Walmart and saw several major brands offering the same type tire -- E-rated light truck, highway or all-terrain -- you wouldn't go too wrong choosing the best combination of price, warranty and reputation.

Sites like TireRack.com will show you a bunch choices for your size along with customer reviews. The problem with the reviews, though, is that they're usually written when the tires are new, not at the end of tire life. So take them with a grain or two of salt. More useful than positive reviews are those that tell which tires they had before and were dissatisfied with.

If you are an Escapee's member Goodyear is offering a 15% discount as a benefit. I also have had good luck with Cooper Tires on my street vehicles. I have noticed that the Discount Tire store in Grand Junction Colorado is always packed, I wasn't even able to find a place to park to go in and ask about tires! I ended up using a mechanics shop that was a Cooper dealer. I have used Sam's Club but was disappointed at some of their warrenty policies , my tires were too worn out to rotate but had 1/32" too much tread to warrenty. When I went back a few weeks later because they hadn't been rotated there was 1/32" more wear on the out side tread than in the middle which the garage supervisor decieded was uneven tire wear ( all the treads were below 3/32") . I asked him to show me what the specs for a tire that started out with 18/32" tread that defined uneven wear and he couldn't so I asked to talk to the store manager. It took asking for corporate's phone number and explaining I had bought over 24 tires from them in the 10 years before they finally replaced the tires under warenty. That experience was enough to send me looking for a small tire business with a national company. Good luck finding tires I'm done talking to inexperienced cooporate trained kids.

I researched a bit to see if tread wear rating would be on light truck tires and it may not be. On passenger car tires it is required and it also stamped on the sidewall. Then I took a look at my car and truck tires and only the car had the rating. I always consider that and when I look at new tires its on the sticker.

I suggest to buy the best tires you can afford, Michelin and Goodrich on my vehicles.
I don't think you need much advice just buy a name brand, you have already made good decision with load range.
Anytime you exceed 50,000 miles with a tire you have done well in my opinion.
I did spend more for 2 Michelin than 4 of most brands but no regret, peace of mind is a good feeling on the road

3 areas to invest extra $$ Tires, Brakes & Batteries is always a good choice
Good Luck with your search

has anyone used the Maxxis m8008 on their RV?   I think its a load rating D....  225/75/r15. .my toy hauler came with a 205/75/r15 and was 55lbs max pressure...

Would a tire that costs 25 to 50 percent more give you 25 to 50 percent greater tread life or traction or whatever it is you want most from your tires? Probably not.

I have had Maxxis tires and have had no problems with them.

I don't buy tires based on how long the tread is supposed to last. I buy based on traction and the more traction there is the shorter the tread life is usually. Soft rubber (or what passes for rubber these days (tire black)) has better all around traction. On the front I use highway tires and on the back I use more aggressive M&S tires. I am using Yokohama's presently. I gave up on Michelin 30 years ago. Had belts shift on two different sets. BF Goodrich are my usual tires but tore up the last set in Northern Canada on Frost heaves:-( Yokohamas are what they had in stock to fit. So far I have been happy with them.

I’d suggest you consider the Michelin defender ltx m/s in your current size.  It is a low rolling resistance tire.  Does not say LRR instead it is labled michlin “total performance”.  Made in Canada.

FWIW, As a former tire store manager and ASE master auto tech, racecar driver/fabricator, performance driving instructor, and RV'r... I'll share with you that I recently bought Bridgestone R500 to replace Michelins that came on my '97 Ford Class C (225/75-16 load E).  

I never liked the squishy feeling of the Michelins on the RV.  I couldn't feel the road, and semi's made my rig drive dog-legged as they would pass.  I know everyone touts Michelins as 'The Shizzle' but I totally lost confidence in Michelin after peeling a tread and blowing a tire while heading to Quartzite last January.  I'm an old tire guy, and I religiously inspect and air my tires even when out on the road traveling.  I am totally obsessed with preventative maintenance and preparation because I never want to break down on the road.  I'm even more concerned with the thought of a tire blow out on a 14,500 lb vehicle at speed.  I had just aired the tires an hour earlier, the tire didn't strike anything in the road, we were on smooth pavement in cool weather, and the tire just peeled because it was time.   Fortunately, the blow out was an inside dual, so it didn't take out the whole side of the coach, and I still had the outside dual to limp to the next exit.  The tire took out the mudflap and damaged the wet bay but we were able to continue our trip.  After the fact, I poked around on the forums and read Michelin light truck tires have a habit of peeling right at 4 years, and mine was right at 3yrs 11mos... according to the  date of manufacture code.  

Over the years, I've learned there are several tire brands that I will never buy or use.  I've never liked Goodyears because I saw way to many of them come in with problems.  Despite all the marketing hype, they were no better than generic house brands.  Firestone's quality was marginal back in the day but they really improved right after Bridgestone bought them out.  

I have consistently been impressed with Bridgestone on my trucks and I decided to buy the Bridgestone R500 highway tire.  It's a commercial rated tire and the price was much better than the Michelins or Goodyears.  I also wanted to stay with a national brand tire in the rare event I encounter an issue thousands of miles from home, plus they are speed rated to 112mph.  Bridgestone supplies semi truck tires, so worst case I could pull into a truck stop and have the order a tire for me.  So after buying my Bridgestones in June I put on about 5000 miles on road trip from California to the East Coast and back (July/August).  I was particularly impressed with how quiet and smooth rolling they were on the RV.  The tires have a very controlled stable road feel.  My RV handling dramatically improved, and the rig feels so much better when Semi's blow past.  

Shopping prices, I was surprised to find Costco and Firestone (company store) were the same cost out-the-door.  I didn't go with Costco because they wouldn't install the tires on an RV, and they wouldn't provide their free road hazard coverage because it was labeled as a commercial tire.  So, I ordered my Bridgestones through a local Firestone store, and they installed them no problem.  You can buy an optional road hazard warranty at Firestone, but if you do the math you'd have to kill two tires before the money works in your favor.  Since road hazard was dang near the price of another tire, I just bought a 7th tire as my 'road hazard' tire 'to-go.'   I had them mount it as spare (I didn't want to keep any of the Michelins as spare).  BTW, my second choice tire would have been the Firestone Transforce, for a few dollars less.