New member intro

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildtrapper

Reaction score
Hello, My real name is John, but Wildtrapper is enough. I'm 71 years old.

I've had several campers over the years, but do not presently own even a tent to camp in. I do own a 4x4 F250 pickup that I could put a couple cots in the truck cap shell, but would rather sleep a little more comfortably, (old bones) :rolleyes:  I've thought of mounting a 8' camper on it, (again), but would rather build one from plans.

I've also thought of pulling the seats out of my Honda mini van and throwing a matrass up on a platform and going that way.

Would not be full timing, as I live in a house on a really small farm in a rural area of Ohio, but am retired and want to travel while I'm still able. Wife and I both have health issues, so maybe it's just a dream.

Main interest would be in boon docking the northwest US in the summer months and maybe the south east or west in the winter months, but for only a month or two at a time.

Welcome John Wildtrapper! old bones can really be nasty at times. but, sounds like you have a great plan.

lots of great people here .. !!

Welcome John to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Update: the other evening when I signed up, (registered), I said I didn't own a camper, not even a tent. Today I do! We had been looking for a while but not real serious. We found an older 1989 class c motor home for $2K with 87K miles. Needs quite a lot of work, or seems like it does, but the inside is clean - needs some more cleaning I should say, but as far as we could tell it has not been smoked in, nor does not have mold, no leaks, just some flies & bugs from not being used much the last few years. Without measuring I'd say it's about 22', has no bunk over the cab, standing room for me at 6'. It's on a Ford 1 ton chassis. The camper part itself is a Champion.

Another note, I had been watching several of the youtube videos Bob Wells put up and that's how I found this forum.

Hi. Not certain I am doing this correctly. Just read your intro and you said maybe you were just dreaming. I have health problems too and only one hand so I understand your thoughts. But I say come! There is no reason to live in fear. I’m going while I physically can and I’ll keep going till I can’t. Hope to meet you and your wife at RTR. I am going a little early to meet some people at Edinburg Arizona. Hope to meet you two........Sara

Hi. Lol. I think I did this wrong so trying again. I read Your intro and you said you might just be dreaming. I have health issues too and just one hand. I am going while I can get around. I say you and your wife should come too. I will be going early to Edenburg, Arizona a little early to meet some people. Hope to see you and your wife there.......Sara

Would be nice to come to the RTR, but this camper van we just bought needs to much work and winter will be on us sooner than I'd have time to get it done this year to make it west to AZ.

So exciting to have found a camper. Hopefully by spring or summer you will be able to get some travel in. It always helps to have projects and goals to look forward to. Next year the RTR (2019) is a worthy goal. Hope to see you there! I will be going for the first time this year. Been dreaming about it for 2 years. I found my van early last year, spent time building it out and getting it road worthy. My maiden voyage was this August thru October visiting family. Now I'm home (Nevada) for the holidays, then on to Arizona for the RTR. It's fun to plan and the time flies. Best wishes as you move forward.

:) Hello WT and Wife and Welcome.  Also congrats on finding a rig for travel so quickly.

In the last year I've changed tow vehicles and TTs.  I'm still not able to travel however I'm looking forward to it.

There are many of us here who aren't spring chickens.  

Also some dealing with medical issues, myself included.  So you guys should fit right in.  :D

Jewellann

The fresh air and the stress reduction can have a big health boost. Eating healthy is a challenge, and a worthy one.