New Member-- Adventure Van build in progress

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk Mitchell

Reaction score
New member that caught the van bug....
I decided to get an E-350 to turn into an adventure van and found Bob Wells and his videos on YouTube and then headed over here. I have been on Sportsmobile forum for a few weeks and started a build log there if you want to look at it. I may start a page here for it as well. I am always looking for suggestions on the build I am about to a blank slate stage so I am going to start the floor layout and such here soon. Thanks for all the great info and help. 

My Build Log on Sportsmobile Forum 

My list of build items (I shop Amazon a lot so most the links are Amazon) I have ordered a lot of this stuff already so I can get the build started, the duplicate items are ones I am deciding between.)

Still deciding on final solar setup, and batteries  I haven't decided whether I am going to mount them under body yet or not.

Hi Dirk,

Oh, I will be following your build. I have an E350, too.

I really wanted to do a custom outside slideout drawer, with a locking door, under the floor behind the driver's seat -- for my T105RE's. However, it has confuzzled everyone I've talked to about it, and those brave enough to give it a 2nd thought want kind of a lot of money.

So I'm on to dropping a box in front of the passenger rear wheel, using some of the step-well there, with a top lid to access the end-to-end batts from inside. My batts are tall so the box will sit on a ledge and protrude an inch or two above floor level, but in my overall design that will be ok.

Where are you thinking about putting yours?

Anyway, welcome, and I look forward to your build.

Sassy

Your blog has a nice beginning. You really do have more interests and hobbies than hours, don't you? LOL

Welcome! We'll look forward to your input on lots of different discussions.

Welcome Dirk to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

sassypickins said:
Hi Dirk,

Oh, I will be following your build.  I have an E350, too.  

I really wanted to do a custom outside slideout drawer, with a locking door, under the floor behind the driver's seat  -- for my T105RE's.  However, it has confuzzled everyone I've talked to about it, and those brave enough to give it a 2nd thought want kind of a lot of money.

So I'm on to dropping a box in front of the passenger rear wheel, using some of the step-well there, with a top lid to access the end-to-end batts from inside.  My batts are tall so the box will sit on a ledge and protrude an inch or two above floor level, but in my overall design that will be ok.

Where are you thinking about putting yours?

Anyway, welcome, and I look forward to your build.

Sassy

I am looking to put them under the van either on the frame rail by the slider, or all the way in back on one side of the spare tire. All kinds of room underneath just need to make sure they are all set up correctly because the downside is they aren't easily accessible. I will have a box over each wheel well son if they are in the rear I could cut an access panel but I am trying to avoid any holes in the floor other than maybe an under floor storage box in the future. 

WriterMs said:
Your blog has a nice beginning. You really do have more interests and hobbies than hours, don't you? LOL

Welcome! We'll look forward to your input on lots of different discussions.

Yes I do end up with a lot of projects, I am currently in the process of trying to cut a lot of them back and make things much simpler. That is proving to be a bigger task than anticipated but I am getting it done slowly bit by bit.