New here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer

Reaction score
:cool: I found this site researching diy camper vans. After reading I pretty much decided to stick with our 1996 F250 7.3 pickup and 2000 Sportsmen 8' slide in camper.. Paid for reasonably low miles dependable and about 18 mpg loaded.  Love to read about others frugal type rving. Thanks.

Hello Sawyer and welcome to the forum.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Howdy Sawyer, I used to have a 86 F250 4x4 with a 460. Hauled 4 horses with it, got 7-9 mpg, but it was a great truck. What neck of the woods do you hang out in?

I am retired and have camped much of my life but seldom had the time to really spend months on the road.

I have a 1996 F250 xlt extended cab rear wheel drive with the 7.3 Diesel.   16-20 mpg but I seldom ever run it over 2000 rpms.

My traveling house is a 1999 Sportsmen (KZ) 801 slide in camper. Bought new but needs a little TLC as I take it where I probably should not have.

Pretty much self contained but without shower or hot water.

I am really trying to focus on getting rid of a passel of things and clean up this rusted truck a bit.  I hit a horse at with it at freeway
speeds last year, trashed the front end radiator etc (It was totaled by insurance and I bought it back for the price of the new tires I had just put on it.  The thing has 200k on it and runs straight and true after I put it back together but the impact shook a bunch of rust out of the body and that is my spring project, couple of fenders, one door, maybe a hood and a bit of body work and paint.

Hope to read, learn, and enjoy some travel stories.   Sawyer

Had to edit: I did not introduce my best buddy a 5 year old Springer Spaniel Oliver (a recycled family member in his forever home) May he have a long life with us.

Your truck sounds about like mine, a 99 PSD F250 with the 7.3...lots of rust and issues, but still a workhorse that will still tow our 30' camper, and get 14 MPG doing it. Welcome to the forums.

Howdy Sawyer, I used to have a 86 F250I 4x4 with a 460. Hauled 4 horses with it, got 7-9 mpg, but it was a great truck. What neck of the woods do you hang out in?
Mostly in lower West Michigan lake and river country.

When I take some time off I like to head to the UP of Michigan with a fishing boat and spend a couple weeks at a time. If I head north i might as well stay a while to conserve fuel.

Latest posts