New Here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clear To Land

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a retired airline pilot with 34 years of flying and 30,000+ hours in the cockpit. I am also a Marine and have served my duty in Vietnam like so many others here on this board, I am sure.  

I am now looking to buy a conversion van, so that my wife and I can travel about the country. We are not interested in an RV or a camper, trailer or etc. Just want to drive, but be comfortable and maybe take another couple along with us from time to time, so a conversion van (high top) makes the most sense. So, I came here to gain an education and get some good advice. I kind of know what I want, but other than buying or ordering a new van, the one that I am looking for has been hard to come by.  

I am also willing to answer any questions anyone may have regarding flying, however, I don't get into negative talks about what the newspapers report on, like "Passenger gets kicked off plane." I am sure that you understand why. I am friendly and I promise you that I won't bite. 

I will post an avatar later down the road.

Hello, welcome!

Drive around & look at things... I can relate to that...
I'm guessing you plan on staying in hotels.
Find a van that's comfortable & go for it! Most of the conversions have the rear seat turn into a bed, I was able to sleep sideways on a 1990 GMC conversion van but not in an '87 Ford so if you go that route you ought to check it out. Most conversion vans I'm familiar with have the seat/bed & maybe a TV & some interior lights. Depending on what you want it can work well.

If you want more options than hotels & an occasional nights sleep in the van I'd look at a Pleasure-Way or Roadtrek van. These are class "B" RVs. I realize you don't want an RV but it's still a van as far as most parking spaces are concerned. It is a little tall so most parking garages are out...

We have a '97 Pleasure-Way, it's a dodge 3500. It's a wide body so it's a little wider than a stock van but it has all the comforts of home. My wife really likes having her own flush toilet with us all the time. 

The on-board toilet is a HUGE thing for my spouse, just saying.

Have fun & good luck!

Recently Retired Aircraft Mechanic here. If your just cruising the highways consider a Mercedes Diesel Sprinter van. Go for the All wheel drive version for wet and possible snow. Fuel mileage is very good. Comfort and dependability is good as well. Check Craigslist in your area for a conversion if you need bed etc.

Welcome Clear to Land to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Thank you for your service and sacrifice!

You should be safe here with regard to discussions about idiots on planes. We're not fond of drama and um idiocy

Welcome.  I think you'll find that we're all down to earth here and probably won't bother you with airplane questions.  LOL 

Thanks for your service!  Hope you'll find the right rig for your wife and yourself.  I like your idea of keeping it simple instead of plunking down a chunk on a fuel thirsty RV.  You can always keep your travel options open that way.

Enjoy this place we call home.