New here and need advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyFeet

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :) I found this web site through YouTube. I'm new to all of this and haven't begun yet, but have been thinking about it for several months now. 

My situation may sound unusual so please bear with me. I'm currently living in the middle of an unlivable situation in my home (long story). I've been thinking about getting an RV or something similar to use as a getaway. I have a few small dogs. My friends with multiple dogs all have RVs to travel in, but I don't want that expense at this time. I can't stay in hotels, cabins, etc, because of my dogs. So I felt like the next best thing would be a camper van that me and doggies could jump in and get away for a weekend or longer when things get too stressful. Maybe go to a campground or the forest? Not too far away.

I've been looking on Craigslist. I'm not handy at all, not mechanical, not a DIYer, but I've really been inspired by watching YouTubes and Instagram posts. I wouldn't need to live in the camper van 24/7, but the idea of using it to get away any time I need to appeals to me. So, I don't need anything fancy cause I have a home, but I do need something livable and safe with enough room for myself and my doggies for temporary getaways. Maybe a comfortable bed, a small fridge or cooler, and small stove or microwave, insulation and/or heater/cooler, not sure if we'd need a bathroom for short trips (can use the gym or campgrounds?) I do own a minivan and have thought about removing the middle bench seats and putting in bedding and portable amenities, but my minivan is older and it would be scary if we broke down somewhere.

I'm not sure where to start? I don't need anything expensive, but I do need reliable and comfortable. It would only be for short trips. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Find a mechanically sound van. Throw a mattress or cot in it, a cooler and a camp stove. You're good to go

Welcome to Cheap RV Living.  Don't be concerned about an unusual situation.  There are enough unusuals here to have someone with similar situations.  

I have an older mini van.  It's a 1999 Ford Windstar with 190,000 miles.  I highly recommend starting with what you have.  I took out the second and third row seats.  They unlatch without tools but are very heavy.  I tried a cot but now I just put a foam mat on the floor with a sleeping bag.  I got plastic drawers.  I use a propane camp stove.  Everything is held in with bungees and coat hanger wire.  A 5 gallon bucket with a lid lined with tall kitchen trash bags works for a potty.  Some people use kitty litter.  At Home Depot they sell foam pipe insulation that has a slit cut.  That makes the bucket much less harsh to sit on.  Even if you use commercial facilities having a bucket for emergency use is, in my opinion, necessary.  

For simplicity limit your electricity use to charging a cell phone.  Flash lights are cheap.  No microwave.  Try a small ice chest at first.  You can have only foods that don't require refrigeration.  That means only prepare what you are going to eat.  

If you keep it simple yo can start weekending and see what you really want.

If your stressful and unlivable situation is caused by people you live with, I'd get out of that situation for good. Going on weekend trips or leaving when it gets stressful may not be enough, having to return only for it to become stressful again. But I don't know the details. Like Trebor English said, start with what you have, which is what I'm doing. I'm moving into my SUV.

If you're not a DIYer and you want amenities like a microwave and fridge, as well as good insulation, you'll want an RV or class B camper van. But then anything you find used on craigslist will likely need repair, and may be just as likely to break down as your mini-van. It'll be a big expense buying it then paying for repairs. A used cargo van will require a bit of DIY unless you pay someone to work on it and install some things. I'd suggest making some comfort sacrifices and keep it simple. Save your money by starting with your mini-van.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it! ?

I don't know where to go? Where do people park their vehicles? Do I drive to a campground or somewhere else? Where are dogs allowed?

Does anybody here have multiple dogs? If so, how do you do it? And where would you recommend going? How do you make a mini van comfortable for several small dogs?

I have an old car. Not sure if I can go very far? I'm not handy or a DIYer or mechanical. But I need to leave soon, and I have nowhere else to go with several small (and sweet and adorable!) small dogs. We can't go to a hotel or cabin or lodge.

Where do we sleep? How do we shower? Where are small dogs allowed?

What gear and appliances do I need? I think I can remove my bench seats. Where do I get a mattress? And how do I keep my food and their food refrigerated? Do I need to buy fencing to section off an area where they can play and stretch their legs?

i don't know where to start?

Thanks!

Your little dogs aren't a problem.  Until a few years ago, I had two shihtzus and a yorkie. They went with me everywhere, from Texas to Maine to Alaska.  Two of them have crossed the Rainbow Bridge so I have only one now.  Whenever I had to leave them alone in the van, I did separate one from the others because she occasionally would pick a fight.  That was as easy as putting her in the front seat with her harness attached to the seatbelt.  I've never been anywhere that didn't allow dogs, especially small ones.  As for outdoors, they were always leashed.  The big thing with animals is to park in shade, etc., to prevent overheating of the interior.  As for their comfort, food, water and shelter is all they need (same as you).  I keep the food and water dishes on a small tray in case of spills.  Take a small pillow or rug each for their beds. A small favorite toy if they have one.  They'll be fine.  One thing I learned, carry some form of dog defense (a walking stick, pepper spray, whatever), always keep your babies on leash because other people let their large, sometimes aggressive dogs run and you may need to defend your babies.  I walked one dog at a time because if another dog came at us, I could pick mine up.  

As for where to go, look at a map and find someplace you'd like to go.  Simple as that.  Google campgrounds near you.  What do you like? Lakes? Rivers? Forests? Beaches?  If you prefer something more "civilized", check out KOA's (not my favorite but they have their place in the scheme of things).  For weekend getaways, a simple camping setup may be all you need.

If you are trying to escape an abusive situation, I suggest you stay somewhere with people around, not in the middle of nowhere alone.  Keep in mind your cell phone makes you easily tracked so turn it OFF before you leave.

I did almost all of my vanning with an ice chest, a Coleman stove, jugs of water, and a makeshift potty.  It was fine.  As for a bed, there are many choices.  Cots aren't my thing but a four inch upholstery foam pad (not those overlays you see at WalMart!) works for me.  Some like air mattresses, they can be cold in winter.  Lots of info on here so keep on reading.  Maybe post individual questions instead of all in one place?  

Solve one thing at a time.  Thinking about everything at once is mind boggling.  And some cabins, hotels, etc., do allow pets.  They charge extra but that's one of the costs of having them.

Welcome and best wishes.

As for showers, you don't NEED them. I used a basin and a washcloth and did sponge baths, heated water in the camp stove.  Washed my hair outside with a bottle or two of water.  Now and then I'd check into a campground for a night with showers and a laundry.

As for your vehicle breaking down, a AAA membership may help.  I used mine once and will never be without it again.

Between showers, we use baby wipes. They work wonders. A two liter bottle with holes drilled in the top can work too.

hi HappyFeet,

I would give your mini van a go. start small in it on a two day trip than take notes what you need then go on a week trip or whatever, take more notes and work with what you have until you out grow it.

A hightop full size van maybe next on the list then maybe an RV but they are money pits even when everything works and if you are a mechanic/DIYr.

if you start small and work your way forward you could get a tow van/vehicle and then add a small cargo trailer and make it home.

youre at the right forum whatever you decide but if you small with what you got I cant foresee any major downsides but lots of positives.

Wow, your in the same situation as I am, I hate this mfkg town and trying to sell the house for a relative, I'd get a small % of sale. I've lived in my tiny Nissan Frontier Crew Cab pik up and the bed is 5x5 plus a few inches and tried to sleep in it for a few weeks then went back to the front passenger seat. One of the cheapest things I found to go undercover "stealth" is go to a Dollar Store and buy those black cardboard, they are large enough to cover your windows and give fantastic privacy. You have to cut them to fit the window/s, all of them. Give em an extra (not to much) length so they can flush against the inside of your window and push the edges to fit. I'm in Colorado and have taken off to Colorado Springs and Pueblo a few times just to get the hell out of this dreaded tiny town and would spend days sleeping in the truck but since its not exactly warm yet I have learned that I need one more heavy blanket, it will get cold! I took the rear seats and junked them and now am about to take the subwoofer out of the back seat to see if I can sleep stretched out better. I'm also with an older vehicle and if I get stuck I got my insurance with tow help but now considering AAA. As far as electricity I've seen numerous people use these batteries connected to your cars/van/etc.. generator (I have not tried it yet but am considering it due to low finances instead of a higher end solar set up) to run a solar panel and seen them use an inverter to power up your things. I've also seen others use (if u don't have a lot of money) use an emergency jump starter battery to power your toys and they come with USB and sockets to plug in your devices but the battery will drain and you'd have to plug it into the cigarette lighter and run the car for it to charge. Its a slow and slow process to buy all these things but its all money money money and its well worth it because you could be sitting somewhere (even a nice neighborhood) and sleep safely, wake up and drive somewhere. Personally, I'm looking into making my own overhead camper because I'm reluctant to buy a used vehicle and make payments for 5yrs! I have a small dog also and Ive seen fans for under 70 bucks and I'd like to install 2 of them once I get the camper done and then I could also start using my propane stove and heat water to bath and most important before doing anything... MAKING ESPRESSO! I bought a white 5gallon container at Walmart for 4bucks, went to Home Depot and found the densest pipe foam insulation tube I could find and cut it to the rim of bucket to sit comfy (have not used it yet), Walmart has big 16 gallon bags for a few bags, use those to do your thing, wrap it up and dispose in a bathroom (park, public trash cans). I can go on and on about stealth because I did long enough in San Diego all along the coast but if you have a nice clean looking vehicle you can park in nice areas and never get bothered but also at night I parked almost anywhere safe and watch your surroundings, street signs (I never parked where it was limited. I.E. metered parking starts at 10am lets say). At night in cities streets I parked and once I felt comfy I covered the windows and put the sun visor in front, turned on radio very low and listened to Public Radio then went to sleep. Don't be turning on lights all over at night either, keep a low profile until you wake up. Your doggies will warn you and growl if they feel something wrong, listen to them! I keep a hammer next to me and another device for safety and never had to use them. I did once had to yell at a homeless guy once at around 4am. I rolled my window down and screamed "Dude, trying to sleep." He was shocked and then said "Dude I live in my truck man and I'm trying to sleep." He was very apologetic and nice. He decided to sit on some steps next to a restaurant (I was parked on the city street) and only a few feet from my truck and he began to sing really loud and bang on a bucket for drums! He felt so bad he began to offer me some alcohol  and a joint, he was friendly and he just got up and moved to another spot, he had this huge cart with things.

Cammalu said:
Sixteen GALLON bags for poop?
From experience when I was living in my pick up in San Diego and not near a proper place to dispose of I had to sometimes wrap em up and wait till I found place to dispose of so the odor was too much. The large bags helps avoid leaks and better tying and you can wrap em up a few times. They have 5 gallon bags but the last thing I want is for it to fall into the bucket and sticking your hands in there! In plain English, the farther it goes from my ass the less I worry about it contacting my skin or when I wipe my ass!