New guy here - is this a good deal for a conversion Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballenxj said:
I think this one would be a way better choice, and I would take the Dodge before I'd ever go with an older Ford.

thanks, unfortunately the lister sold that one. I wish people would delete their CL ads when they sell a vehicle. 

If you (or anyone else here) see any other good deals please let me know. I can travel for the right deal!

Kook Skywalker said:
thanks, unfortunately the lister sold that one. I wish people would delete their CL ads when they sell a vehicle. 

If you (or anyone else here) see any other good deals please let me know. I can travel for the right deal!

Unfortunately, I think there is a Catch-22 at work here.

Anything that is a really good deal is going to sell almost immediately.  Someone with cash in their hand will hustle over and snap it up within hours of it being posted.

If you have to ask here whether it's a good deal or not, and wait for responses, if it was a good deal, it will be gone already when you try to buy it.

That's my take, anyway, based on what I've seen here over the last few years.  I'll be curious to see if others here agree with me or not.  (I'm not infallible, which annoys me no end!)

I'm sorry, I really don't know what the answer is.

John is absolutely right. Do your homework... find out the pros and cons of the '90s vintage Ford, Dodge, and Chevy chassis so you know what you're looking at. The coach parts are off-the-shelf and the same things were used by all of the manufacturers. Atwood and Dometic produced most of the appliances. Really the only differences between coaches of that vintage will be construction materials and interior wear. Better coach brands used better grade 'stuff' in the construction. Cheaper ones are... well... cheaper materials. Less wood, more pressed wood... that sort of thing. That's not necessarily bad; my B-van is a Coachmen... likely the cheapest of its era, and the interior is holding up fine after 22 years.

Once you're comfortable with what to look for, you can spot those 'good deals' yourself and head out for a personal inspection with cash in hand.

Good luck!

hepcat said:
John is absolutely right.  Do your homework...  find out the pros and cons of the '90s vintage Ford, Dodge, and Chevy chassis so you know what you're looking at.  The coach parts are off-the-shelf and the same things were used by all of the manufacturers.  Atwood and Dometic produced most of the appliances.  Really the only differences between coaches of that vintage will be construction materials and interior wear.  Better coach brands used better grade 'stuff' in the construction.  Cheaper ones are... well... cheaper materials.  Less wood, more pressed wood... that sort of thing.  That's not necessarily bad; my B-van is a Coachmen... likely the cheapest of its era, and the interior is holding up fine after 22 years.

Once you're comfortable with what to look for, you can spot those 'good deals' yourself and head out for a personal inspection with cash in hand.

Good luck!

Thanks. That's good advice. I've been reading the forums and I have bob wells book. I'm going to keep looking, researching and asking you guys the occasional question.

Thanks again!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Unfortunately, I think there is a Catch-22 at work here.

Anything that is a really good deal is going to sell almost immediately.  Someone with cash in their hand will hustle over and snap it up within hours of it being posted.

I find this is the case frequently, so stay sharp. Also, learn to expand your search. A lot of times a seller will mislabel the vehicle and it may go unnoticed a bit longer. Also, there is at the bottom of this forum a trading post section. Might want to check there on occasion.

That was my experience, too, good deals are gone when you get there, 9 out of 10

Just wanted to say thank you to @thehellend for the Chrome extension to monitor Craigslist posts. Sure beats me checking my saved search 6x times per day waiting for the perfect deal to pop up so I'm among the first to respond.

It's becoming an obsession now, I fear.