New guy here - is this a good deal for a conversion Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and have finally decided to take the plunge into van living. Long story short - divorce, debt, desire to travel while I'm still healthy enough to enjoy it and live for the moment. I'm sure many of you can relate.

I've read Bob Wells' book, many of the posts on this forum etc and have found a local conversion van I'm interested in. Can you tell me if this is a reasonable price? It seems like prices are all over the place and I could really use some advice. I'm going to look at it this sunday with a friend who fixes up Ford classic cars and knows a lot about  Ford Engines. 

thanks in advance friends!

[font=arial, sans-serif]$12000 OBO[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]SPECIAL EDITION FIESTA / ROUTE 66 [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]1990 RV MOTORHOME CAMPER VAN [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif] FORD ECONOLINE E-350 1 TON  EXTENDED VAN 
CLASS B CAMPER MOTORHOME [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=arial, sans-serif]3 spd automatic with separate overdrive switch[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]102K MILES [/font][/font][/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=arial, sans-serif]FEATURES : 
 toilet 
 shower 
 onan generator 
 gas stove 
 built in microwave 
lrg refridgerator /freezer
 gas heater 
 gas stove 
roof air cond (blows cold) 
 dash a/c blows cold (just serviced /charged)[/font]

[/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif] pull out sofa - sleeps 1-2 
 over cab full size bed sleeps 2

[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif] [/font]

If its in decent condition and the mechanics give you a thumbs up, that's a great deal! Take it to a mechanic that will thoroughly check it out. Prob cost $100, but it could save you from just buying scrap metal. Best of luck!

EDIT: Doh! Welcome to the forum and best of luck on whatever adventures are in store for ya!

Personally I like the 10x,xxx odo sweet spot, as it seems like these are a much better deal that the 5 digit ones that always seem to exclaim ONLY XX ORIGINAL MILES!

You can check the NADA guides
That can give you a ball park figure.
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/Motorhomes
Before making a decision, I'd take it to a mechanic and a RV tech, if youarent confident in your own skills and knowledge.

Thanks folks, I don't have a link because a friend saw it in some local paper like penny saver or something and cut it out. My friend buys classic ford cars and rebuilds them from the ground up - he literally has a quonset hut full of engines and car chassis and he said he would come with me to inspect the engine and stuff. I have $10,000 cash saved up, and that's really my limit. so if it checks out I'll offer him that because it's literally the max I can do right now.

I feel the price is a bit high. $6-8k seems about right for that age of a van, even with all the amenities.

I love the 351C and all, but it is far from the best Ford put out in that time. The 351C is a high performance motor, not a workhorse. For that you would want the 351M which is a true big-block motor, but not as many out there (parts). The 315W is the small-block 302 with some internals reworked for extra displacement. Lots of parts for that guy. The Cleveland is it's own block and heads and can sometimes be harder to find parts because of it. It's a good motor, just not the one I'd call the best for the job. It did great in my Mustang back in the day though.

The "two new gas tanks" tells me that there was some fuel cleanliness issues, otherwise there is no reason full tanks would be replaced. I would bet that you would need all new fuel filter and lines (may already be done) and possibly a new fuel system (carb of EFI) and pump too as they may be in bad shape from dirty fuel. If you have $10k, then expect to need some of that for minor repairs after the purchase price. See if you can offer him in that 8k range with cash in hand, I bet he takes it.

Fords are known for the need of front suspension rebuilds (bushings primarily). Not very expensive and easy to do yourself if you dont mind tinkering. You will need a new alignment after. Check those rubber bushings at the front to make sure they are not destroyed. Take that into consideration when making your offer.

A good indication of that front suspension problem is the "two new tires". I wonder if it is the front's that are new which would be a clear indicator of the need to spend a few dollars there.

I read that as $1200hundred...not $12000thousand!!! Disregard my first post. I blame the alcohol. Sorry about that. You need money to do lil repairs, customization. Look @5-6k vehicles maybe. Then you have the budget left for repairs\customisation. Also, have an emergency fund. Depending, but aim for at least 2-3k. Again, sorry for misreading. Best of luck!

27 years old, and it will be a working unit, not a showpiece.  I would say it is worth no more than 5K with everything perfect.  

I am seeing bubbles on the fiberglass top, so that could indicate a problem. 

The lack of photo's makes me wonder ~~~  

This is closer to what you should be looking at with a $10K savings.  You will want an emergency fund.  

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/rvs/5994337655.html

The asking price and the actual selling price are usually two different numbers.

I think misdirection is going on.  Lots of pictures of the interior pillows, and almost nothing of the exterior.  Just enough to make me wonder.  A bad goop job on the electric port, bubbles on the fiberglass.  Possible rust behind that new tire.  

At that age everything will need replaceing soon.  I stil think it is priced more than double the value, if everything was perfect.

Red velvet seats. Love it!!
Take a look, let the mechanic do his inspection, make a low offer. If its a no, then keep looking.
Check back in two or three weeks, to see if its sold? Make a second offer?

I spoke to him regarding his flexibility on price, and he's not interested in coming down more than a couple thousand, so I'm going to keep looking.

I live in Central Florida, so if any of you see a good deal please let me know!

Kook Skywalker said:
I spoke to him regarding his flexibility on price, and he's not interested in coming down more than a couple thousand, so I'm going to keep looking.

I live in Central Florida, so if any of you see a good deal please let me know!

GotSmart had a link in his reply for a Dodge Van in FL that looked promising.