New from New Mexico!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramakittycat

Reaction score
Found this website a year or so ago and have been following quite a bit since I got back from my last trip in Sept last year.Would have loved to make it to the gathering in Quartzite but will have to be next year (Lord willing).I can't wait till I'm able to head out again in a couple months or so.Mostly interested in learning about modifying my mini van so it will be most comfortable and practical for myself and my 4 CC's (companion cats).I'm ordering Bob's book after I get this post done to have it actually in hand as all I've read on this forum so far has been very helpful.I have a 2003 Windstar and am looking at various ideas for solar power mostly.I am a type 2 diabetic and retired RN on SSDI due to a MVA back in 1998.I will close here as I tend to get longwinded when I get excited and the plan to get back on the road in a couple of months is very exiting to me! Please see my intro on my profile page also. Thank you for having me and safe travels to all! :)

Welcome, I joined last month, but I've been wanting to do this for a long time now. I hope to have a van and set up by this summer, but
I am planning on spending my summer months in Alaska and my winter months down south. Good luck on you project.
Mike

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Gramakittycat! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and welcome! Traveling is so fun, isn't it? I would love to hear more about your adventures while traveling with your 4 furbabies! I love this site but I wish the 'Traveling with Pets' section was more robust. I would especially like to hear about experiences with cats as thats what I have-2 to be exact. I thought traveling with 2 in a full size van was going to be space challenged. I imagine 4 in a minivan had some hysterically funny moments. I can't wait to hear about them-as much as you're willing to write.

I'm really interested in how you kept them corralled while you were opening the doors, either getting in or out yourself or putting things in and out. I'm thinking of putting in a partition behind the front seats but I also want a swivel seat so thinking about some sort or retractable partition. All this just because I'm worried about my 2 cats possibly running out into a parking lot one time when I'm not paying close enough attention. Or so some concerned citizen doesn't see them sunning themselves in the front seats and are worried for their safety. If anybody concerned about my animal's welfare only knew the contortions I go through for my animals. The whole reason I'm not already out and about it I'm trying to make it easier on them. I could always get out of heat or cold and into someplace climate controlled. They can not so I've been soaking up info here about climate control and traveling with pets, along with lots of other great info too.

OK-enough about me and back to you. I was just so excited to read your profile and see that you had traveled with your multiple furbabies so I wanted to enthusiastically encourage your information sharing.

Welcome and I can't wait to see your van and hear about what you want to accomplish with it before your next outing!

Cheers,
GypsyChic

Hello again!Sorry I have'nt replyed to the welcoming posts but figured I'd better share I have very VERY basic computer skills and a hunt n peck typing ability:blush: I have however been doing alot of search on every aspect of vandwelling expecially solar power set-ups and setting up a blog/website for me and the furbabies next venture.So much to learn but otoh ALOT of info here and on the web.I've ordered Bob's book also to have as a reference too as I can't always be on the computer and I love to read. Thank you for your patience and I hope to get active in the travel with pets section soon as I see not much activity there and hope to share what i've done with my cats and maybe it may help others here.Also wondering if there is a section for vanliving when you have a medical condition as I do (diabeties Type2) to share how you manage with your medical needs when traveling.I know it is a concern for my kids when I go but I do take precautions. Sorry starting to ramble ;just have been reading so much and not had time to let it all sink in yet LOL!!! Safe travels to all; I know it is the end for this years RTR so hope to be there next year!!!! :)

Welcome back gramakittycat. I was wondering if you were going to come back and I'm so glad you have. I am looking forward to reading about your experiences traveling with your cats. I don't think there is a section for traveling with medical issues. You could start a thread and others may chime in. I too have some medical issues that require some planning around when I travel. It might be great encouragement to others who have medical problems that it can be done. I never thought about it. Thanks for bringing it up.

I wasn't able to attend this years RTR but I am hoping to attend next year as well. I hope we can both attend our first RTR together next year. We can talk about our cats :rolleyes: I'm sure we'll find other things to talk about as well. Enjoy your research. I find it so fun to imagine the possibilities.

GypsyChic

Thank you gp! Some days are good some not so good so sometimes I'm reading but just not posting.Thanks for the input I shall try your suggestions.Thanks again!

Hello and welcome! I like your name! (Huge cat fan here!)

VanTrekker said:
Hello and welcome!  I like your name!  (Huge cat fan here!)

Wow VT great you are a cat fan too! I just finished skimming over your blogs latest post from Iowa and your talkin' to a midwest gal here! The 3+ week trip late last fall Ive mentioned was partly in mid-Iowa, Independence Iowa infact; also Cedar Rapids. I have a LOT of family in that area on my dads side and will be making another trip up there this year. Born and raised on a farm in northern Missouri and homesickness is setting in! LOL!! Good to make your aquainance :)

Latest posts