New and attending RTR!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanch

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just completed my first six months of full time RV living. I purchased a 30 foot Springdale Travel Trailer and a 2008 Ford F250. I sold my house and all my stuff (with the exception of a small storage unit that I now realize I don't want or need). I have done RV parks and campgrounds so far. I am ready to learn the dispersed camping way of living. 

My plan is to attend the RTR and learn as much as I can. I don't have solar yet, I am using a portable generator. I also have two small dogs as companions. I understand that I need to park so as to keep my generator from bothering others and have my dogs on a leash. 

Since I have been at this for six months I think I am pretty aware of what I need, but never having done dispersed camping, is there anything I may be unaware of that I need?

I just had a truck repair wipe out my savings so I NEED to spend time doing free camping and rebuild some savings.   It seems like the auto repair shop could see into my savings account and took me for all I had, although I know that isn't possible, LOL. 

Anyhow, I am excited to be attending the RTR and meeting many of you soon.

Welcome aboard Blanch!
That's a tough question to answer without know what you have already.
I'm sure the gang at RTR will be able to help with that .

I have everything I need to RV park and Campground camp. Is there anything I would need specifically for dispersed camping?

Welcome to the forums Blanch.

Most of us who boondock have set ourselves up with solar systems so that the generator becomes an alternative way of charging the house batteries rather than the primary way. Obviously, that will have to wait until you've replenished the savings account. You're right on target though, the repair shops do have a crystal ball that can see what's in your bank account. I know, I've been there. I hide it from them nowadays.... :D

You might want to add another gas can to save extra trips to town. That and make sure that just before you arrive, you fill the propane and the fresh water tanks and empty the waste tanks.

The biggest differences between boondocking and campground style living is the total lack of facilities. You'll want to practice water conservation since you have to either move the trailer to refill or haul it in yourself in jugs/containers from town. The same goes for disposing of water. No more just opening the valve. It's haul the trailer to the dump station.

Quartziite is a small town that becomes a major mecca for RVrs during the winter months. The closest 'good' shopping is 20 miles away in Blythe so I stock up on groceries before I get there so that I don't have to pay small town inflated prices for things. It's no big deal if you do need a run to shopping, often you'll find others to carpool with if you want to.

And of course, the most major difference is the cost.... :D It's free!!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Blanch! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

We certainly look forward to seeing you at the RTR!

RTR is easy boondocking. You just follow the directions to the site, stop at the area camp host to register (if the flag is up), continue down the road to the site, find a spot, park, maybe level your rig, and set up your stuff. If you forget anything, it's a short drive back to town. Just remember there's no water, electricity or toilets on site. You're camping, but with a vehicle/trailer. It might rain, it might be cold, it might be windy. Dress accordingly. Wander around, introduce yourself.

Sorry to hear about the tow vehicle expense Blanch.. I drive about 30k miles per year for business and constantly deal with repair and maintenance issues. It's just part of being on the road I think. I'm totally new to the full time rv life style but preparing to jump in with both feet. Hope to meet a lot of experienced rv'ers at the quartzite event.

BTW, I'm looking at Springdale 24' and Jayco 23' models. How do you like your Springdale so far?

I like the Springdale. I got a price at www.bestrv.com and had a local RV place do a price match. So I ended up spending $18,999 for a trailer with a $27,000 SRP. They are a budget trailer and rather cheaply built, but I like it. I have a 30 foot with one slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:)  Hello Blanch and Welcome.  I know you will meet some great new people and have fun in AZ.  I envy all of you that get to attend the RTR.

Safe Travels and Happy New Year

Jewellann

Blanch said:
Hello,

I have just completed my first six months of full time RV living. I purchased a 30 foot Springdale Travel Trailer and a 2008 Ford F250. I sold my house and all my stuff (with the exception of a small storage unit that I now realize I don't want or need). I have done RV parks and campgrounds so far. I am ready to learn the dispersed camping way of living. 

My plan is to attend the RTR and learn as much as I can. I don't have solar yet, I am using a portable generator. I also have two small dogs as companions. I understand that I need to park so as to keep my generator from bothering others and have my dogs on a leash. 

Since I have been at this for six months I think I am pretty aware of what I need, but never having done dispersed camping, is there anything I may be unaware of that I need?

I just had a truck repair wipe out my savings so I NEED to spend time doing free camping and rebuild some savings.   It seems like the auto repair shop could see into my savings account and took me for all I had, although I know that isn't possible, LOL. 

Anyhow, I am excited to be attending the RTR and meeting many of you soon.
Hi Blanch,

Welcome! I have been around a while, but I am new to boondocking. I am also going to the RTR and plan on getting solar set up while I am there. I hope to meet you there. I will be in the generator section as well.

Caryn

Best RV in Turlock, CA is an awesome dealership. I'm looking at Springdale's there and Jayco's at Richardson RV in Menifee, CA.. I'm going a bit smaller in the 23'-24' range as my tow vehicle will be a 2016 Toyota Tacoma and has a limited tow rating. Thanks for the info....

Gypsysoul said:
Hi Blanch,

Welcome! I have been around a while, but I am new to boondocking. I am also going to the RTR and plan on getting solar set up while I am there. I hope to meet you there. I will be in the generator section as well.

Caryn

This will be my first time to the RTR. I do have solar but not all set up yet. So, that puts me in the generator section too!