Need some advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know, where do you find yourself staying if you live in a Chevy Cargo Van?
A Promaster or a 4 wheel drive?

I am trying to decide what kind of vehicle I want to buy and would like to hear where you stay the most?
A city, BLM land or a state or national forest?

I am leaning towards a Chevy cargo van or a promaster but not sure, if that would be best for staying in
Coconino national forest.

When I was 20, I had a volkswagon van and hit the road. I loved it. I drove up California, Oregon, Washington and half way across Canada.

Now I am 65 and want to hit the road again but not sure, which vehicle is best for me.

I want to stay on BLM land and National and State Parks but also go into the city, for supplies etc.

So, I would like to hear from some experienced people living in a vehicle, where do you mostly stay and in what kind of vehicle?

Maybe, I can pick up some wisdom from you and see what I should be considering.

Thank you,

Rachel

PS I check my emails about 2 to 3 times a week. Thanks again.

If your not sure which vehicle is best for you then you have a little homework & legwork to do. At 65 some of your ideals and ideas of comfort may have changed from those of your 20s. When empty cargo vans can be cavernous but they can fill quickly. Visit RV dealers that carry Class B to see if a van would work, and also look at other types of RVs to see what they're like. Look into what your daily life would be like in each... sit in 'em, pretend to cook in 'em, does it have room for your stuff, etc. You'll find a variety of rigs in the wild but if you plan to stay in a city you'll need a different strategy. With an aversion to cities I'll resupply en route to a location, and even the overnight parking is done in a more rural area.

Where I stay has absolutely no bearing on what I chose to live in.

Although if I was going to try to stay long termish in larger metropolitan areas then it would factor in since stealth might be needed.

I stay wherever I want but mostly that's BLM/NF land in the US and rec sites or crown land in BC.

More important in the determination of what to live in is whether you want something pre-built or DIY, gas mileage you want to have, interior ceiling height, towing capacity if needed, ease of parking, etc.

I chose a cargo van but having standing height was an absolute necessity for me. I also was able to build out the interior to my specifications.

It's got everything I want and nothing I don't need so in almost 3 years of living in it, I can say without reservation that it's the right vehicle for me.

While I am not full time yet, I just returned from a 4 month trip in my Promaster.  I can stand up straight in it and that was physically very important for me.  I normally stay out in nature.  Most of this trip on free BLM or national forest lands, did stay at paid campsites 5 times on my trip. Otherwise while traveling and in a hurry I stayed at some Cracker Barrels, Walmarts, and a rest stop or two.    It really depends on what you like to drive, how much room you need, and if you have any pets. ( my 8 lb dog didn't need much space).  Go to dealers and actually get inside of different size campers even if you plan to buy a used one.  Just try and figure out what size you will be comfortable in and in driving.   I rarely spent much time inside my van as I prefer being out in nature.  Out west there wasn't much rainy weather, but on the east coast I ran into a lot more rain and spent more hours inside my van some days.  So consider where you will likely spend a lot of time-inside or outside your vehicle?  Good luck.

4x4 implies smaller of course. So does attempting city stealth.

You could try renting vehicles at the different sizes see what you're comfortable driving.

First decide where **you** want to be camping, then look at comfort vs cost.

Hi Rachel.
I agree with John61CT. My number one decision had to be was I comfortable driving whatever I bought.
I chose a small van for that reason and of course for gas mileage. I'm okay with not standing up in there but you may feel you really need to be able to. Also, your bed is very important! I'm not very tall so I can have my bed from side to side and be perfectly comfortable. That gives me more space to get ready for the day, etc. but still have a decent width to the bed itself.
I like the idea of renting different sizes and checking them out.
Good luck!

Where you want to stay is a big factor, as above - stealth for cities, higher clearance/4x4 and a sturdier build for going deeper into the backcountry. A used basic cargo van is the best value, easy to set up a camp around and just big enough to be comfortable in during weather - plus stealthy.

Lot's of folks trade size and interior comfort for less backcountry access. I went just a tad smaller, great clearance but no 4x4. Staying inside in the weather is a pain.

OK got me :cool:

4x4 **at reasonable cost** implies smaller then

rm.w/aview said:
4x4 implies www.phoenixusarv.com/2552.html along with implying a 4 door F450 long bed w/truck camper towing a rock bouncer (google it) on a flatbed. Happy Trails Folks!

That would be good in sand or mud, not sure if its a benefit in other typical conditions.  The size limits turning radius, the height overhanging trees, the tail is going to hit, and the clearance isn't all that great.

Yeah, it won't keep up with a rock bouncer but could be helpful in some instances. The whole line up at Phoenix Cruiser from their 21' to the 31' can be had with the Quigley 4x4 option, and being a factory install is covered under warranty by Ford.

Thank you said:
If your not sure which vehicle is best for you then you have a little homework & legwork to do. At 65 some of your ideals and ideas of comfort may have changed from those of your 20s. When empty cargo vans can be cavernous but they can fill quickly. Visit RV dealers that carry Class B to see if a van would work, and also look at other types of RVs to see what they're like. Look into what your daily life would be like in each... sit in 'em, pretend to cook in 'em, does it have room for your stuff, etc. You'll find a variety of rigs in the wild but if you plan to stay in a city you'll need a different strategy. With an aversion to cities I'll resupply en route to a location, and even the overnight parking is done in a more rural area.

ColdBrook said:
While I am not full time yet, I just returned from a 4 month trip in my Promaster.  I can stand up straight in it and that was physically very important for me.  I normally stay out in nature.  Most of this trip on free BLM or national forest lands, did stay at paid campsites 5 times on my trip. Otherwise while traveling and in a hurry I stayed at some Cracker Barrels, Walmarts, and a rest stop or two.    It really depends on what you like to drive, how much room you need, and if you have any pets. ( my 8 lb dog didn't need much space).  Go to dealers and actually get inside of different size campers even if you plan to buy a used one.  Just try and figure out what size you will be comfortable in and in driving.   I rarely spent much time inside my van as I prefer being out in nature.  Out west there wasn't much rainy weather, but on the east coast I ran into a lot more rain and spent more hours inside my van some days.  So consider where you will likely spend a lot of time-inside or outside your vehicle?  Good luck.

Thank you

John61CT said:
4x4 implies smaller of course. So does attempting city stealth.

You could try renting vehicles at the different sizes see what you're comfortable driving.

First decide where **you** want to be camping, then look at comfort vs cost.

Thank you,
Rachel

Moonstone Traveler said:
Hi Rachel.
I agree with John61CT. My number one decision had to be was I comfortable driving whatever I bought.
I chose a small van for that reason and of course for gas mileage. I'm okay with not standing up in there but you may feel you really need to be able to. Also, your bed is very important! I'm not very tall so I can have my bed from side to side and be perfectly comfortable. That gives me more space to get ready for the day, etc. but still have a decent width to the bed itself.
I like the idea of renting different sizes and checking them out.
Good luck!

Thank you Moonstone Traveler,
Can you let me know, what kind of small van you bought?

I went the 2018 RTR and rented a Uhaul van and stayed in it, while I was there.
I was fine with it but it was a bit big when driving in Phoenix.
So, I am curious what kind of small van: Astro?

Thank you,
Rachel

DLTooley said:
Where you want to stay is a big factor, as above - stealth for cities, higher clearance/4x4 and a sturdier build for going deeper into the backcountry.  A used basic cargo van is the best value, easy to set up a camp around and just big enough to be comfortable in during weather - plus stealthy.

Lot's of folks trade size and interior comfort for less backcountry access.  I went just a tad smaller, great clearance but no 4x4.  Staying inside in the weather is a pain.

Thanks DLTooley,
Can I ask, what kind of vehicle you choose?

Rachel said:
had a volkswagon van and hit the road. 
In a PM you are on top of the front wheels, reminiscent of the VW van. The turning radius is shorter. I easily stand up with my arms out to my sides in mine. The sides are straighter for the conversion, and the van is wider so a rear bed configuration can accommodate a taller person. 

I chose PM over Chevrolet due to front wheel drive and cargo space, turning radius, lower price and available deals in my area. I chose PM over Ford for the same reasons, but also was afraid of the Ford engine design with variable timing. I also looked into the transit connect and the tradesman, but thought they were too small to really be practical, although their MPG ratings were tempting.

~crofter

we ask that you trim all quotes to the minimum. when you quote and before you post, place your cursor outside the quote box and type your response. this gets everything in one posts. also you can do multiple quotes in one post the same way you add your response. in this way it helps members with limited data from reading the same thing over and over. highdesertranger

Latest posts