Need some advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been through a number of options in the year I’ve been preparing to get on the road but at age 66 I had to consider my health and stiffening joints. Standing up then seemed like a must and I have found that the Ford Transit medium height cargo van allows me to do that (I am 5-9). I found that there are lift kits available to increase ground clearance but looking at the beautiful places that Bob and others find to boondock in vans and class c rvs it is not a must for me.

I have a Ford Ranger, a 2wd high clearance model - like the old Toyota Pre Runner, but very few made.

I've been retired on the road primarily out West for 5 years. I try to stay in NF and BLM and rarely NF campgrounds (senior pass 50% off). I have a 25' trailer and a Dodge 4X4 2500 pickup with a Harley in the bed. Renogy 300 watts solar with Commander MPPT, 2 TROJAN T105's

Some thoughts:
Drive something you enjoy because you've going to drive it Alot

If a trailer - double axle, bathroom with shower, queen bed, upright propane refrigerator(cold as long as there is propane), biggest fresh water tank that you can get, ladder

Carry a axe, saw, pole saw, shovel and rake, tow strap , jumper cables. Battery charger to give a dead battery a temporary charge when you're all alone (personal experience). Mechanic and electrical tools. Of course this requires $ and we all have to live within our means. I'm sure I left Alot out.

Latest posts