Need Laptop Internet Access On Road & Home

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe that battery life depends on distance from the tower. The farther you are the more power goes to the connection.

It's when it needs to keep hunting for signals.

WiFi too on phones, turn it off when you know you're not using it.

It also takes more power when you are connected with a device and actively using it than it does if the device is just on with no devices connected to it.

Riverman said:
Hey CKT OK...   how many miles would you guess to your nearest cell tower?  (straight line of sight, not road miles)

Maybe one of our Wilson Sleek signal boosters would pull the signal right in.

Maybe 7 or so miles. Just a guesstimate.

jimindenver said:
I take it you will be naming the hotspot Dorthy so that you can tell it that we are not in Kansas anymore. lol

I am glad it is working out for you.

It's a toss-up between Dorothy and Toto!

Thanks again!

tonyandkaren said:
Our 20 GB plan with AT&T covers our phone and hot spot for about $140.00 a month. There are much cheaper plans (the details are laid out in jimindenver's posts) but they are complicated and take some time to set up. Your best bet for a fast solution is to go both Verizon and AT&T stores and explain what you want and why. Maybe you can get a prepaid plan for a phone that doubles as a hot spot and avoid the long term contract.

Good suggestion, and I tried that a few months ago.  I learned that at least on AT&T's prepaid plan at that time, they did not offer the hotspot feature.  If you have a contract, they do.  So I'm still on hold trying to figure it out too.

CKT OK said:
I'm like a duck out of water where all of this is concerned. Please don't hold that against me, LOL.

Lol.  I know this is an older post at this point, but that just cracked me up.  I can relate!

One of the things that keeps me from getting halfway to making a decision on just giving up my house, and all the associate costs of owning is communications. I have never owned a cell phone, so i do not have a clue as to what is involved. I defintely want to access the internet, and also have a phone that allows me to contact those who are important to me, as well as my doctors, etc, and also have them able to contact me. I use the internet, versus sitting and watching what I call brainless TV shows. Once you've watched TV for 10 years or so, you pretty much have seen it all.

Anyway, I do need advice on a device that allows my computer(s) to access the internet, and of course, have a telephone. But I do not want to be stuck with hundreds of dollars in bills monthly. I just need something that is simple for someone like myself who is very non-techy.

Caley Ann, you could get the $5/month verizon hotspot for internet and a $50/year tracfone smartphone (ebay).

RVTravel, Since I haven't got a clue as to what one of these "Smartphones" is capable of, I really do not know where to start. I use Windows based laptops, but not sure I would need a laptop if I have a smartphone. Can you access your bank accounts online with a smartphone, and set up payment schedules? Also, can my Kindle reader use the smartphone to connect to the internet in order for me to download books? I read a lot, and I really like my Kindle (no more bulky paperbacks/hardbacks).

I'm willing to spend some money initially to get one that has at least a 7 inch diagonal screen. Need that size in order for me to see the detail on the screen. It also has to be user friendly. It took me a few months to get used to a touch screen kindle, and I still tend to goof things up.

If these smartphones are like a computer, then do the allow you to connect a keyboard to them, so you can type. I can hardly use a touch screen keyboard.

I really am not getting anywhere quickly because of the myriad of features (much I do not understand), and so many brands, models and various gadgets. If anyone can narrow things down, I would appreciate it.

CaleyAnn, what do you use for a phone and internet now? I gather a wired or cordless telephone and laptop or computer for internet, and cable modem to connect.

RVTravel, I have an ASUS Laptop gaming type computer. I purchased it for graphics (photography) work though. I have a Panasonic dual cordless handset. One before actually had a rotary dial. LOL!!! I have a Netgear cable modem/router/wireless type thingie. I use Time Warner/Specturm for my provider. Used ot have Frantier, but they had my internet down about 75 percent of the time. As for other devices, I have a Kindle Reader, and Kindle Fire 6. Too bad Amazon doesn't make Tracphone Smartphones, or whatever they are called.

Laptop- you could keep what you have; you will have to keep it charged though

Internet service- verizon hotspot is cheapest; you might can use a tablet (larger screen) on that service and limit use of the laptop; it is 3G speeds which may or may not suit you; your current cable modem is likely faster; a bluetooth keyboard can be used with a tablet but it may not match the ergonomics of a laptop

Kindle- it would connect with the hotspot device; they can connect with smartphones that have tethering; tracfone does not have tethering since it is prepaid and a cheaper service

Phone- tracfone; it is a smartphone but you don't have to use it for any/all internet activity; it has a 4.5" screen; you can get a larger screen but a 7" screen is basically a tablet size; tracfone is prepaid and all prepaid service lacks roaming (can't use it away from main towers); any smartphone can use an app to use for banking; I am leery of banking over phone apps and use my laptop only and not on public wifi

RVTravel, Wow! That's a lot to digest.

At the moment I do have a 120 watt folding solar power system to charge my two 400 watt battery generators, and my one Duracell Powerpack 600. For my 12 volt system, they are probably enough to get me through the night, as I don't plan on using any device that draws over 10 watts per hour. So anything that uses USB charging should do just fine with my system. I also have a portable slimline generator that puts out 2000 watts peak, 1600 steady. That can recharge my batteries, and also power my tiny 1200 BTU kennel air conditioner. Didn't think I needed a bigger A/C for my tiny 4x6 trailer.

I wil have to look into a tablet computer/phone, or whatever they are called, so I can have both. Maybe my laptop will just get used when I am doing graphics work.

I will get educated online as to what a hotspot device is. Not sure what kind of distance you need to be within for those main towers. I guess that info, and the tower locations is online somewhere.

I appreciate you taking your time to baby me into this subject. I have a lot to learn, as I was never much into telephones, let alone a cellphone. If I do decide to start roaming with my little trailer, I definitely will need to get a traveling communications setup that can fit into my little trailer. As I said, it is only 4x6, basically a sleeper trailer. I have a portable awning that I will more than likely use a lot in the daytime.

I did a little reading about WIFI hotspot stuff, and it seems you may have to purchase a SIM card, whatever that is, and also pay a usage fee in addition to the fee you would already have to pay with a Smartphone. Sounds like double dipping to me, but I guess every one of these devices has an ID number, and they charge for each device. This is sounding more and more like I just want to avoid anything that causes any kind of complication. I need it simple, no other strings or charges attached. I really dislike dealing with communications companies because they have so many hidden charges and rules that even lawyers have difficulty with.

I just need something that allows me to telephone people/entities, surf the web, and purchase things, as well as do emails, and download my ebooks. I need a provider that is straight up dealing with their customers. Are there such companies? And I would prefer a deal where I get my voice and data, and have the option of opting out, if I do not like the service, without having to pay penalties, or any other charge. I doubt I can get such a deal.

The bottom line is, after reading a little about devices is that I just want a telephone allows me to plug in my computer to it when I want to use my computer, of possibly a tablet computer that is also a smartphone that can do what I want. But I doubt there is such a thing that doesn't costs thousands of dollars a year.

As you can see, I am pretty much disheartened by all that I have read. Seems nothing is good for the consumer, only the companies peddling their services.

IMOou really should get someone to just sit with you in person a few times a week to get you set up and comfortable.

If no one's available for free near where you are - local library IT person?

just pay a kid $10/hr or something?

I have not had a trac phone since before digital came along. It connected better than any phone I have had since.

There is a learning curve to all of this so take it one step at a time. Thank you to those helping Caleyann sort it out. I have been swamped with the website and haven't had much time for research.

Note that Tracfone the service charges a lot for data, like $12/GB.

Great for low users of voice and text though, less than that per month, can choose ATT or VZW.

But Tracfone **phones** while cheap, can often be locked, not portable to other providers.

Best to buy the model you want on eBay unlocked and BYOP to Tracfone, can buy the SIM kit at Walmart, Dollar stores or online.

Howard Forums is a great learning resource, may even have a 101-noobs subforum.