need help with solar and battery draw

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy33

Reaction score
ok guys im almost rdy to start full timing but i need some help with the power thing. i need to know what size battery's to buy, size of solar pannel/pannels any controlers or inverters i might need?<br /><br />as far as i no theses will be the things ill be running mainly say 4-5hrs a day maybe more on weekends<br /><br />1. laptop ( power source says AC imput 100-240, 1.6a 50-60hz DC output 19v 4.74a max 90 wats<br /><br />2. 27/32 led tv not sure of the watts or amps<br /><br />3. led interior lights<br /><br />4. maybe a fan or something was thinking of building a computer fan setup like johney cunnuk<br /><br />5. purhaps a small dvd player and ps3 for the tv<br /><br />so any of you good at power consumtion plz help me out ty in advance <br /><br />jeremy<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

It is difficult to have too much solar, but very easy to think XX &nbsp;watts will be enough.<br /><br />It is also much easier to conserve electricity than to create it.<br /><br />You will eventually wind up using all you have, so I recommend getting a panel as big as you can fit on your roof stealthily. &nbsp;Shop around for a good watt &nbsp;per dollar price.<br /><br />There are 12 volt nominally rated panels and 24 volt nominally rated panels or higher. &nbsp;With a 12 volt panel, you can get a less expensive PWM &nbsp;charge controller. &nbsp;With 24 or higher, you need a MPPT controller which can be 100% to 200% more expensive.<br /><br />I'd aim for 140 watts to feed a pair of golf cart 6 volt batteries wired in series. &nbsp;If your batteries are going inside with you, then I'd get a single group 31 sears diehard platinum AGM battery, though the former has twice the capacity for probably less $$.<br /><br />Use a 90+ amp continouous duty soleniod to charge from the alternator and automatically isolate the house battery from engine battery. &nbsp;Thick cabling helps speed charging.<br /><br />Goto Amazon and type in your laptop make and model number and add "car converter) &nbsp;These will plug into a ciggy plug and be considerably more efficient than using an inverter to power the laptops original power brick.<br /><br />Mine is 20 to 50% more efficient &nbsp;than my inverter depending on what task the laptop is performing.<br /><br />I bought a 12 volt 13.3 inch TV which has a built in DVD player. &nbsp;It is a LED backlit, and draws 0.9 amps. &nbsp;I would recommend it though the speakers are less than impressive. &nbsp;RCA brand. &nbsp;It has every imaginable exterior hook up.<br /><a href="http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Backlit-Active-Matrix-Resolution/dp/B005GNR9G4">http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Backlit-Active-Matrix-Resolution/dp/B005GNR9G4</a><br /><br />I have no Idea how much juice a PS3 demands, or if it demands clean power. &nbsp;Two inverter types exist. &nbsp;Modified sine wave and pure sine wave. &nbsp;Most things have no issues with modified SW, but some things Do have issues and require PureSW.<br /><br />I would get a smaller pure sine wave inverter, like 150 or 200 watts for delicates, and then a larger MSW if the need later arises for other items.<br /><br />You will want a good &nbsp;ATC fuse block for distributing 12 volts from the house/ aux battery.<br /><br />Silverstone's Fm121 computer fan is by far my favorite. &nbsp;I have 3 of them running right now<br /><br /><br /><br />

I have a small 9 inch portable DVD player that charges from the cigg lighter socket. It has speakers and also headphones. This works great for my needs. This works fine and if something goes wrong with it I can replace it without having to replace a tv.

wrcsixeight gave you excellent advice, I wholeheartedly agree with all of it. One thing I would like to emphasis though is this:<br /><br />
It is also much easier to conserve electricity than to create it.
<br /><br />That is so true! One thing you can be sure of is storms are coming and no matter how much solar you have, you will run out. So first learn to do without, then just be very grateful when you have an abundance of power. <br /><br />Here is a page with tips on conserving power:<br />http://cheapgreenrvliving.com/365_January.html

I know I want solar in my RV when I get one. But if the one I choose doesn't have that included, then what? I'm a woman, but that aside, even if I had the ability to install solar myself, I wouldn't want to. So, where and who do I go to professionally to get this work done? This has one of the big issues I've had on my mind. <br /><br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Scarlett

Scarlett,<br />Some indication as to where you are located, or where you could get to for assistance on solar would help on this question.<br /><br />Bob

I would get this to connect your house batteries to the engine alternator. Sure power relay is a smart continuous duty relay.<br />&nbsp;you can see it here http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/4,2705.html&nbsp; <br />Make sure you run heavy cable like 2 gauge, because otherwise you will get significant voltage drop and your house batteries wont charge very well. I bought mine on ebay, make sure you aren't getting aluminum cable it has more resistance then copper.<br />Dont use an isolator, they cause voltage drop.<br /><br />I used 2 6v golf cart batteries from Sams club its the best price I could find.&nbsp; They are badged duracell but are made by Deka.<br />I made a box that vents outside to hold them, it was a pain in the ass.&nbsp; Next time I would try putting hose barbs on the vent caps and running the hose outside the car.<br />My electrical load is a bit higher then yours but I would consider 200ah in batteries pretty much a minimum(which is 2 golf cart batteries)<br /><br />The best most efficient small inverter is a morningstar 300w its expensive, so most people don't use one, but there are many equally expensive inverters that are no where near as good.<br /><br />Also you need a way of monitoring your batteries.&nbsp; At minimum a volt meter and an amp meter.&nbsp; or you could get a trimetric 2025 which will actually tell you percent charge as well as volts and amps.<br /><br />I haven't designed my solar yet so I can't help much there, but if you get a solar controller that wants you to buy their optional display unit, you would be better off spending your money on a trimetric.<br /><br />Oh if you are going to be plugged into shore power you might want to consider an iota dls iq4 charger or something along those lines.&nbsp; Of course with a good solar system this isn't as important.<br /><br /><br />Remember with solar If a shadow is cast on one cell of your solar panel, from a tree branch, antenna, or roof vent that panels output will drop by about 30-50% with most panels.&nbsp; A couple of leaves that fall on your truck might shut the whole solar system down...<br /><br /><br />Isn't a ps3 a dvd player?

Latest posts