Another solar/battery/ 12 volt question.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Ryobi for one makes native 12V versions of their chargers. Pretty neat for them to standardize on one batt design for all their devices, from drills etc to lights and fans, inflator/compressors.

Lots of hacks to use them to power USB, small portable inverters. . .

I appreciate this conversation,  because it has sparked some thought about how to do just that.   I have several tools with 12v batteries. ..it shouldn't be too hard to come up with some kind of hack,  as you said. 

Thanks, 

Pat

All the Ryobi tools I have now are 18 volt Li-Ion. I would not trust any but the supplied charger to recharge these batteries. I did convert an old craftsman 12 volt to operate with clips to a starter battery.

My point was that Ryobi supplies a 12V DC input charger for those batts.

And there are many hackish projects repurposing them for a variety of uses, rebuild kits, adapters to make them run corded etc etc

Everett - I had originally planned for 2-100 watt panels, but thought maybe I didn't need that much. I also thought with 1 panel 2-6 volt (=12 volt) was enough.  Thanks for your input.

John - I don't have a Sam's Club membership so I will check out  the batteries you mentioned ([font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Batteries+ and Sam's Club sell Duracell flooded 6V GC, x2 = 12v cheapest best value true deep cycle bank available.[/font]

Pat - I wasn't planning on using any home electrical items because I was told that would drain power. I plan on using or getting 12 volt items, but then I thought about the recharging of batteries for the tools.  I'm going to check on whan John said "[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ryobi for one makes native 12V versions of their chargers. Pretty neat for them to standardize on one batt design for all their devices, from drills etc to lights and fans, inflator/compressors. " since the tool purchase is next on my list.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I was tempted to get the small generator that Jimindenver recommended, but when I realized what it would take to set that up I decided to wait.  I want to do this right, but it is so confusing. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thank you all for your input it is priceless![/font]

John61CT said:
I'd recommend Blue Sea for the better-than-a ciggie ports and plugs also. Don't use for draws over 10-12A, that's what Andersons are for. 
Or just standardize on Andersons for flexibility, only put the round ports where guests might have something to plug in.

John, what is an Anderson? Can you tell I'm new at this yet?

DC connectors

Google keywords

Anderson Powerpole, SB50 and Powerwerx

Any Sam's member can add you to theirs, or just go with them shopping.

I wish John would post a link to the 12 volt powered Ryobi charger that handles the Ryobi-One 18 volt battery.

John61CT said:
Walmart only sells Starter style batts falsely labelled as "marine deep cycle"

Batteries+ and Sam's Club sell Duracell flooded 6V GC, x2 = 12v cheapest best value true deep cycle bank available.

It is difficult to find 12V deep cycle, and impossible in automotive or big box retail.

Trojans are some of the best and there is usually a retailer in most cities.

TROJAN BATTERY DEALERS

Yes, Crown, US Battery, also Superior and of course Rolls/Surrette, their spec sheets can be trusted.

Within Trojan, J150 or T-1275 are true deep cycling, but the automotive form factor like G24, G27 & G31's are rated at half the lifetime cycles as the lower voltage ones

Itripper said:
Trojans are some of the best and there is usually a retailer in most cities.

I truly wish they had come up with another name. It is really difficult to NOT say Walgreens every time I see a statement like the above.   I know, GROW UP,  PAT!

you match the panel output to the ah of the batteries. so two 6v give you about 200+ah, so you would want at least 200w of panels. note, this is considered a minimum, this is one case where more is better. highdesertranger

John! Even though you are a smartazz, thanks for the link. It did not come up when I searched using google, or the other engines. The 6 local Home stores did not have any idea. I wonder if they raise the volts to 18 or just let the battery hang at 12 volts. That will not hurt a li-ion, but not so good for other chemistries. If raising to 18 volts, what is the efficiency? Would it be just as well using a tiny inverter with the charger that comes with the kit.

No it charges at the proper voltage just like the shore power one. Inverter would be wasteful.

And no need to carry both since we all have good 12V chargers for House already.

One key with googling is finding specific enough keywords. Even without "one+", this string works

ryobi 18v battery 12v charger

highdesertranger said:
you match the panel output to the ah of the batteries.  so two 6v give you about 200+ah,  so you would want at least 200w of panels.  note,  this is considered a minimum,  this is one case where more is better.  highdesertranger

Thank you  High Desert,  My note on the ah of the 12 volt was wrong, hence the reason I thought I needed 2. I think I will go with 2-100 watt panels after all and a fuse box with individual outlets. I won't need many as my set up is pretty small, but I can always add on.

John61CT said:
No it charges at the proper voltage just like the shore power one. Inverter would be wasteful. And no need to carry both since we all have good 12V chargers for House already. ryobi 18v battery 12v charger

Thanks for this John, I will look at this when I make my tool purchases.

My understanding is that the other manufacturers have a variety of battery voltages and form factors, and change them every few years.

For people looking to standardize on one style of batt to use as portable power for a variety of uses, the nice thing about Ryobi is they have committed to compatibility across dozens of tools with the one+ battery and to keep to that spec long-term.