Need help with organization/research

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayaserrella

Reaction score
Need help from the experts here.  I'm still in the research phase of the journey.  My question is: How on Earth am I supposed to keep track of the research I do?  I have two binders, a play list on Youtube with about 60 videos, a couple of Pinterest boards, gobs of website links and four small notebooks with random info written and stuffed in them? 

I kind of know how to separate the info into categories but any ideas on how connect them so I don't spend 2 hours looking for one piece of info?

Help, please before it all makes me curl up in a corner?

p.s. I used the search function but couldn't find anything that helped.

Mayaserrella said:
Need help from the experts here.  I'm still in the research phase of the journey.  My question is: How on Earth am I supposed to keep track of the research I do?  I have two binders, a play list on Youtube with about 60 videos, a couple of Pinterest boards, gobs of website links and four small notebooks with random info written and stuffed in them? 

I kind of know how to separate the info into categories but any ideas on how connect them so I don't spend 2 hours looking for one piece of info?

p.s.  I used the search function but couldn't find anything that helped.

The only advice I could come up with after reading this post is "don't overthink it". If there's anything that will stress you out, it's overthinking it. Just go about it! I hope this helps?  :D

Mayaserrella said:

p.s.  I used the search function but couldn't find anything that helped.

You might want to check something called a mind map. I'm using free software now "Xmind" that works well. You can organize however you want, then add links to documents or websites.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 3.13.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 3.13.04 AM.png
    17.6 KB
the basic xmind version is free, they have a fancy version for about $100. There are probably others.

Excel? Or even separate word documents. Depends on what exactly youre trying to organize.

Currently, I am mostly using Favorites/Bookmarks. I know how to copy them into a new browser install (and back them up), so changing PCs isn't an issue for me. Otherwise, I use folders within folders. Examples:

Vanlife-Youtube = Links to Youtube providers such as Bob, Jamie, etc
Vanlife-Websites = Links to places such as CRVL, Van Dweller, Xscapers, etc...within this Vanlife-Websites folder I have other folders like: Solar, Boondocking, etc that contain more specific topic links.

It works for me. Website links sometimes stop working, but that's internet life.

OneNote and EverNote both keep websites, articles, notes, documents, etc... Both have free versions

Workflowy. Cross-platform collapsible outline with a brilliant "focus on subset". Great search, use structured keyword tags. Use links to multimedia.

If you don't want to pay, access only from mobile (Android anyway). But once you realize the value, you'll want to support them, well worth paying for.

Nothing lasts forever: fully exportable to open OPML file format.

Mayaserrella wrote:

I agree whole heartedly about not "Overthinking".   (also Over Researching)

What you need to do now is sit down and use any of the means above or just "yet another" spiral ring notebook" as a Master Bibliography for the research you have obtained so far without adding any more.
This will make it less of a mind bender in time.

Starting with blank sheets of paper....make a list of the items you "have" research on.  "Van", (assuming that is the vehicle you own), then functions of it.  Electrical solar,  house batteries, etc would be one subset under that as .  Kitchen,  utensils, refrigeration, stove, water supply, etc would be another subset under Van.  Bedding, Bath, & Storage (under the bed) would be another consideration where boxes under the bed would be a lot of your storage in the Van.   Tools and Misc would be a final category where flash lights, extra batteries, radio's, Mp3 players,  Computer stuff,  Cell Phone stuff etc would be a last category under the Van.

Then if you have to take the pages from your existing note books and assign them to any of these categories.  Put a Page number on them with a letter of the alphabet that would identify it. 

Example....E 1 may regard Solar research,  E 2 would be house Battery....then later on your list  TM 1 may regard research on what you've done on flash lights/lighting   and so on. 

It's kind of an outline like this site is organized.  (By Categories and Boards under those)

DON'T WORRY......putting it together the first time.   You can always revise it a few times to get it to the way you would like it. 

As for those things that are Youtube or website......Just write them down on the paper (by Title....like YT...Bed)
You can jot down a few extra notes about whose youtube channel that it is on..right beside it.

But anything you do will be better than the "hodge podge" of notes you have now.   And it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.

I use an old fashioned method.
I know the order in which everything will need to be done...so that is the order I keep the notebooks.

Once I have found everything and I am making decisions...I write down all the choices I have made and the reference to where to go get it. This is the point at which I am drawing diagrams and writing in the name of the product, specifications, price, and URL for purchase.

That way, once I have reached the point of feeling I know enough to begin deciding...I won't have to go back over that ground again unless new information comes up and bites me.

Of course, I never stop learning...and willing to amend the choices I have made...so keep eyes and mind open. But, stop agonizing over decisions.

Seriously?  Notes?  You people keep track of notes, videos and whatever?  Wow...

You are SERIOUSLY over-thinking this stuff...  

The whole point of living like this either full or part-time is to escape the rat-race that causes you to save everything.  What in the world could be SO important about any of this that you need to save/catalog/hoard any of this stuff?   NONE of it is THAT important.

As you make your way through, you'll find solutions to problems you didn't know you had, and the problems you think you'll have to solve, you won't. It's all good.

Being out experiencing the world is what's important. Go. Do that. Enjoy yourself. Let the other stuff worry about itself.

I find myself disagreeing with you.  That's an easy attitude to take if you have sufficient funds available that you can correct any mistakes you make by writing a check.  If you haven't got deep pockets, getting it right the first time becomes somewhat more important.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I find myself disagreeing with you.  That's an easy attitude to take if you have sufficient funds available that you can correct any mistakes you make by writing a check.  If you haven't got deep pockets, getting it right the first time becomes somewhat more important.

But how do you know what's "right" until you try it?  We know this isn't a one-size-fits-all lifestyle, so what looks perfect on paper may well fall flat in reality.  How many people (myself included) bought the "perfect vehicle" only to find out it's too small/big/tall/short/etc?  And doesn't everyone start out carrying far more stuff than they need?
It may be better to start cheap and stay flexible, so you can afford to change/add as necessary.

Some sort of organization helps when I want to retrieve something quickly without having to go on a mission to find something all over again. I also agree with Optimistic, about getting it right the first time - does save money. Also saves time, and frustration - especially if one has memory problems.
Why not learn about what is most likely to work for me by what others have experienced in similar situations? Seems like then there is more time to enjoy what I love in life, not some detail someone already figured out.

I've thought about this too. This is going to be my home. I don't know for how long, but I will be living "IN" my van. I really want what I want now, while I have the funds, because once I quit working my 40 hour a week job, income could be hit or miss. Right now I'm agonizing over a shower/bathroom. I think my van is big enough, but do I want to block a portion of my view? Ugh...

Cathead said:
Some sort of organization helps when I want to retrieve something quickly without having to go on a mission to find something all over again. I also agree with Optimistic, about getting it right the first time - does save money. Also saves time, and frustration - especially if one has memory problems.
Why not learn about what is most likely to work for me by what others have experienced in similar situations? Seems like then there is more time to enjoy what I love in life, not some detail someone already figured out.

Sadly, no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.  If only I had a nickel for every time, in the past forty-five years I've been camping, that I had exactly what I needed all figured out, only to find out that whatever it was just didn't work.  I've figured out since then that it's a LOT easier to figure out what you need AFTER you've been out a couple of times with your gear.  Take your van, sleeping bag, and an air mattress and what you need to live for a few days... and go and live in your van.  Pretty quickly after a couple of days, you'll either confirm your preconceptions or recognize that what you though you wanted isn't as practical/necessary/desirable as you thought it was.

It doesn't cost any more to try your ideas and arrangements out before you build them in... and in fact can really be much more efficient in the long term and increase your satisfaction with your van.

A case in point:  I haven't built a van, but I bought a low-mileage '94 Airstream B-van on an e-350 chassis a few years ago, and got a great buy on it... it had all of the amenities I knew I wanted/needed, including a full bath/shower... but no generator.  As it turned out, it had an 8 mpg 460 and was an absolute pig that wallowed on it suspension with a HEAVY fiberglass high top with gorgeous wood cabinets in them, and absolutely insufficient anti-sway bars.   After I bought it I found out that I couldn't make ANY use of the shower stall.  It was too small for me to get into, and too irregularly shaped to be of much use for any kind of storage.  AND I found that for the way I travel, a generator is a must.  I sold the AS B-190 (fortunately) for more than I paid for it and waited another three years before I found my current B-van on an e-250 chassis, with a 351W (twice the gas mileage of the 460) that has no inside shower (is plumbed outside though,) LOTS of usable storage where the bath in the Airstream was, AND has a generator (that is, of course a money pit, but that's another story.)  

I just knew I had to have all of the things that the Airstream offered... the 460, one-ton chassis, and shower and I knew I'd get along just fine without the genset.  I was wrong on all counts... but I didn't know that until I had the experience.  As it turns out, the '95 Coachmen I have now is just about perfect for the way I travel... and has none of the downsides of the Airstream... ESPECIALLY those things I KNEW I needed.

Now, since I'm slow learner... I have LOTS of similar tales about travel trailers and motorhomes...  but suffice it to say that for the moment, what I have suits my needs (and wants) quite nicely...  but it's only been through trial and error.  Fortunately in my case, I've made money (or at least broken even) on each trailer/moho/B-van I've bought and sold, so it's not broken the bank for me...  but the lessons learned are invaluable.

Hence, my suggestion to go and try things out before you make them permanent in your build.  Use other folks' ideas... by all means... but try them out to see how they work for YOU.   And then, when you DO make them permanent, it'll be because you KNOW it's what you want/need, not that you PRESUME that to be the case. Again, though... remember that your van is NOT the goal... the goal is to see the world. The van is just a means to an end... and may be just one in a series of vans/trailers/moho in your lifetime. Don't sweat the small stuff too much.

Good luck!

eDJ_ said:
DON'T WORRY......putting it together the first time.   You can always revise it a few times to get it to the way you would like it. 

As for those things that are Youtube or website......Just write them down on the paper (by Title....like YT...Bed)
You can jot down a few extra notes about whose youtube channel that it is on..right beside it.

But anything you do will be better than the "hodge podge" of notes you have now.   And it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.

Thank you.  This will definitely help.  And hodge podge definitely describes it accurately.  :rolleyes:

I appreciate the sentiments about overthinking things too much.  But, I'm not..More like weighing various options and ways to do the basics.  Eat, sleep, hygiene and such.  I have a few advantages in my toolkit.  When my parents and I moved here to Middle TN, we bought a lovely farm.  152 acres at the back of a hollow.  One electric pole which had a yard light.  No other electric nothing.  No running water except for a spring.  The only buildings on the property were three log barns from the early 1920's, a house that was falling down(lean on it and it leaned about 2 ft sideways) and a half built cement block building.  We had to develop and set up everything from scratch with a small budget.  So, I have lived with no mod cons for years at a stretch.   And I have been dispersed camping off and on since I was little.  Mom says my first camping trip was at 5 months of age.

But in building things up on the farm,  the first lesson I learned to do was listen closely to those who have done it before!  That's why I reached out to folks.

I used a 3 ring binder with dividers in it and loose leaf paper.

That way I could print pages if I needed to and throw them in the binder.

I could write down websites/you tube videos on one page in each section, referencing good ideas that I picked up along the way.

I also wrote myself lots of little notes about things as I learned them.

I had sections for electrical,  exterior, layout planning etc.

Oh and one for costing it all!

Well, I am rebuilding an entire RV from the base chassis up. The sheer volume of detail is inescapable. I cannot afford to not research each aspect, do my best to pick each component for the best price/performance.

But, once I have made the decision..I just want to have that info and choice at my fingertips when I am making the purchase..etc. or, if I find new info that should be added to the decision process then I want to locate that info quickly to update it. once all the research is done, I only need the critical information at my command.

Without organizing this small mountain of research I would be doomed to repeat it with each decision.