Need all of your opinions! -MONEY-

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyMTN

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want your opinions when it comes to making money while traveling.

How many of you have thought about making money online? The idea of creating income from your laptop by stopping at cafes, using their WiFi, and doing a couple hours of work.

Do any of you have the desire to do so? And if, what do you feel is holding you back from having online income while traveling?

What do you see being your biggest struggle/confusion around it?

What kind of online business/income stream do you picture yourself having?

If you've felt like this is something you'd consider, what has stopped you from moving forward?

I am very interested to hear your opinions on this topic.

-Ty

I almost thought this was going to be another counterfeiting post. I make a little money digging gold. mind you I am probably not going to get rich, but it's good honest work and gets me to some truly remote locations. on the other hand prospecting is mother natures lotto. highdesertranger

I teach online courses and generally use a combination of Public WIFI and my AT&T phone as a WIFI hotspot.
Brent

Oh, I thought that said "Need all of your MONEY!" :p

I've been working online for a couple of years now, and I love it. I'm not traveling anywhere yet though, so I don't know how being mobile will affect my productivity.

I hope it doesn't at all, and I do worry sometimes about how I'll get a good internet connection.

eapvan said:
I've been working online for a couple of years now, and I love it.  I'm not traveling anywhere yet though, so I don't know how being mobile will affect my productivity.

I hope it doesn't at all, and I do worry sometimes about how I'll get a good internet connection.

You may want to search Bob's blog posts on his directional antenna and amplifier for a Verizon jetpak. Amazing the places he gets good coverage.

Always wonder about American English based customer service via telephone for any company hiring. There is a lot to be done for expediting orders, and to help with technical support. Even if it was chat based support. --- have no idea how to tap into that as a competitive job opportunity. But bet if you gave it some serious research you could find companies that are looking for workers.

I do phone and email based customer service, and some transcribing. I have a set schedule for the CSR position, and the transcribing is unscheduled, so I can work whenever I want to.

I use a forum called Work Place Like Home. There are a LOT of job leads, and threads where people discuss payment, benefits, and any or all problems they encounter. If a job lead hasn't been researched yet, the OP will say so, and others tend to apply and discuss what they find out. It's a good forum, and well worth signing up for.

Here's the link: http://www.workplacelikehome.com/forum/login.php?do=logout&a

EAPVAN - thanks so much for the tip!!

You're very welcome, and I wish you luck!

Just be patient, and apply for everything. Don't forget to tailor your resume to match each job.

Good luck!

Neat tip. But, 30 hours, a week? Who has 30 hours a week?

Very interested in finding a remote job, thank you for the link!! :)

You're very welcome Theadyn. I have more resources if you're interested.

ccbreder said:
Neat tip. But, 30 hours, a week? Who has 30 hours a week?

I'm not sure what post you're referring to, but if it was mine, that forum has more than full or part time jobs posted. There are micro-jobs like MTurk as well. Also some sites that pay for you to do surveys. You can work as much or as little as you want to these days. Remote jobs are way more plentiful than brick and mortar jobs.

I hope to assist my wife with some software contract work on the road.  She has 25 years of experience as a software developer...she can do the heavy lifting and maybe I can help around the edges.  :)