*Need Advice* Truck Solar etc.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeRuth: That is exactly what I needed to see. I think I can see how to make this work. The crown part of the van has the honey comb part so would need to mount to the edges and raise up the panels.
Masterplumber: I think the taller 1 5/8" version might work I haven't had time to look at parts much yet. Plumbing problems! What did you put on the underside (inside). Would I need any rubber gasket material?

OP: You're right my plan was to put the solar panels on the truck (The Beast) with batteries in the bed up by the cab..........connect to the batteries on the trailer. It has two batteries on the tongue. The ....gap is the i-Don't-Know part. I'm not sure of how much solar I will need I'm still working on that. I have never found how to connect the batteries in the pickup to the batteries on the trailer. Then there is the charger, controler, monitor and other stuff. I am reading and learning as fast as I can from this forum. Thanks to everyone here.

Seraphim: I marked that to go back and study. Thank you. Starting with the panels and where to put them then start learning the rest. I don't feel confident at installing myself(yet anyway) but I want to understand the system and parts.

TraveLyn said:
N4T.  I thought about the suitcase solar but I thought getting the suitcase out and putting up would get old after awhile and any time I leave the trailor I would have to put it away or risk losing it.  I'm still reading on solar and thinking maybe 200-250 would work if I have room on the pickup top.  I don't really want to buy and pack a generator and gas if I can figure this out.  It funny I called an rv dealer today about 70 miles north of me and they gave me an estimate of $1800 to put a 95 watt panel on the top of my travel trailer.  Since I have been coming to this site I know I should be able to figure something out less expensive!

If you move a lot a portable is  pain. If not it is worth twice its watts installed flat.

$1800 for a 95w panel... REALLY?

I am collecting for my install on the trailer. So far 750w of panel and a TS-MPPT-60  comes up to
$1200. I Doubt I'll cross $1500 in the end.

TraveLyn said:
Seraphim:  I marked that to go back and study.  Thank you.  Starting with the panels and where to put them then start learning the rest.  I don't feel confident at installing myself(yet anyway) but I want to understand the system and parts.

Take your time, step by step, and it's not difficult. At each step, check what you plan to do twice in your head. If you are physically capable of getting up to the roof of the vehicle, you can install a kit.  Any mistake can be repaired. We learn by doing.

On panels: one larger wattage is less of an install than two smaller ones, and the panels total panel price would probably be cheaper that way as well. Haven't really checked. I didn't have room for larger panels, so had to go through the hassle of installing 4 100 watt panels, when I would have preferred 1 390 watt panel. Just a thought for your consideration

On bolting the unistrut to the topper, I just used fender washers to spread the load a bit, and acorn nuts so I wouldn't dig the ends of the bolts into my head every time I crawled in. Actually, I used regular nuts originally, and I bet you can guess why I changed them. Also, use some lock tight or lock washers or something so they don't vibrate loose. I think I used about 5 bolts per length of unistrut, but I tend to over kill things. You could probably just use 3 or 4. My thought was I wanted the stresses on the fiberglass spread out, but I never noticed a problem.

fingers crossed the water leak is fixed, lots of digging. Now back to fun stuff. So thankful for all the great information. Yeah, I thought the $1800 was crazy, couldn't have begun to consider it. Had just found this forum and started reading so said "No thanks". If I could just mount one larger panel that sounds better. Will have to check on cost of shipping. General flat area on top of the canopy is about 78" long and 54" wide so inside that area is what I have.

Check craigslist or call an installer in the area. Here I can always find the larger panels for $1 or less. Installers will sell off single extras really cheap since grid tie panels need to be matched to play well together. My first two were $50 each, the second set $85 each, the last three that I will mount were $170 each with warranty. I didn't mount the first sets because they weren't matched and I wanted three.

If you do go the larger panel route, you will need a MPPT controller. Up to 250 in a poly and 275 in a mono panel, you can use a $100 Eco-worthy 20 MPPT controller. Panels larger than that will have voltages too high and you will have to go for a more expensive controller depending on how big you get.

TraveLyn said:
fingers crossed the water leak is fixed, lots of digging.  Now back to fun stuff.  So thankful for all the great information.  Yeah, I thought the $1800 was crazy, couldn't have begun to consider it.  Had just found this forum and started reading so said "No thanks".  If I could just mount one larger panel that sounds better.  Will have to check on cost of shipping.  General flat area on top of the canopy is about 78" long and 54" wide so inside that area is what I have.

Here's an example: a Grape 390 watt panel for $585. A 40 amp Renogy Mppt  controller for about $130. Add cost of cables, batteries and mounts. This panel will provide about 24 amps (max) at 12 volts and just fits into your space. Similar in power to ours, a lot easier to install, and with the batteries you mentioned, you should have a four day supply of power in rainy weather before you need to recharge your batteries ( not every day is sunny lol).

http://www.grapesolar.com/specs-390w-mono-gs-s-390-ts.html

And two fuses - one between batteries and charge controller, and one between controller and panels.

please everybody don't go to a rv place for solar. travelyn I must have missed it, why do you not want to mount the panels on the trailer? highdesertranger

Great info starting my list for solar parts. Finally got a chance to look at the unistrut and parts--I can see how this could work. At last-- finding people with practical ideas.

highdesertranger: The reason I thought the pickup topper vs TT. I hope to be in the mtns some so could park in the shade truck in sun and on this 17' the roof is pretty crowded. two vents w/ covers, ac, and some other vent type covers. i would have to park carefully and put the refrig side toward the sun so the covers don't shade it. I've never had an rv-always tents- but I read the refrig side needs to be in the shade when can?
I agree about rv places for solar install seems extremely expensive. No independent installers here. Boise, Id. is closest (150) miles but only rv dealers, camping world found so far.

travelyn, you might want to try agriculture places. solar has become quite popular for pumping water, and ventilating barns. so are you in Idaho or eastern Oregon. I prospect outside Baker, OR. I understand what you are saying about parking in the shade. but when I build my trailer I plan on putting as much solar as I can fit on the roof. many times I am in the desert where there is no shade. I will keep the portable panels I have now(230watts) to place in the sun if I park in that much shade. highdesertranger

highdesertranger, I'm outside Baker City, OR. Lots of places to prospect around here. Now that I have an idea of how to mount a solar panel I'll need to figure what. The canopy can't quite hold the Grapesolar 390 watt panel size. I think I have room for (3) renology 100 watt panels or maybe a 260 ish single panel. I'm not real sure what I will need for power could always add a portable if I needed I guess. Just found out that our local electric company loans out Kill-a-watt meters.

travelyn, I love Baker City. I go over to the Sumpter area. next time I am up that way i'll give you a pm. highdesertranger

Latest posts