Need advice on a tow vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Wing and a Prayer

Reaction score
I'm having a gypsy style wagon built that should be finished this week. I'm going into analysis paralysis trying to figure out what to buy to tow it. My budget is around $10,000 but of course the less, the better. 

I'm not mechanical so reliability is important. I prefer a large SUV as it will contain most of my storage and would be easier to access than the back of a pick up. I favor Toyota's because of the reliability but would have to go with high mileage with my budget. 

The wagon is under 2,000 l.b. but I prefer rwd or awd for towing. 

Once I set out this summer I will have less than $1,000 per month budget so I can't afford to make a mistake. I will still have an emergency back up fund and I will be working on starting a business to increase my income asap. And of course I could do some work camping too.

When I read the Edmunds reviews of certain vehicles I get nervous when there is a bad review. For example I thought about the Chevy suburban but the reviews are mixed on that one. I have also been looking at older xterra's.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would stay away from the Xterra. Toyota Suv's bring a premium. I would search around for a Toy or a Chevy even a Ford but watch out for the trouble engines. highdesertranger

Howdy,
You might want to check out Chevy/GMC Suburbans... They seem to be priced quite a bit lower than other full sized SUVs.  I've owned 2 over the years, great tow rigs and great camping rigs on their  own.

Safe travels

Suburbans are great! I like them a lot. Had a 78 Suburban 4x4 that would go a lot of places, and would have zero problems hauling a Gypsy wagon.
Another thought, don't over look a 3/4 ton van. They will also tow a Gypsy wagon with ease, "and" have plenty of built in storage.
Fords? No offense to you Ford lovers, but I'll take a Chevy or Dodge before trusting a Ford again. I've had a few of those too. :(

I'm also going to throw my hat in on a Suburban. If you can get one with the 5.3 liter engine you should have a very reliable vehicle as it's an excellent well proven engine. My van had it and my current Silverado has it and it's the best engine i've ever had in one of my vehicles. I consider myself lucky to have had two vehicles with it. They are also great on gas....well as great as you can expect for a full size 4wd vehicle.

If you want cheap and reliable go with a 04-08 regular cab F150 with the 3.8L 2 wheel drive. You can pick one of those up for under 5K with fairly low miles and that 3.8L is very reliable and still gets 18 plus mpg. Don't even look at a ford with the 5.4L they are junk

I also agree with Ballenxj on the chevy/gmc vans with the 5.3L they are solid vans and can get 20mpg if driven easy. Plus you would get a enclosed place to carry all your gear. But they start to get expensive when you want one with low miles