Need Advice Mounting Solar to Roof Rack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTrekker

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">Good afternoon,</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I'm going to be ordering some solar toys this week though haven't decided from where...&nbsp; The MPPT charge controller was bought already.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">The idea is one big panel - about 39 inches by 54.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's going to sit on top of the metal ladder rack on the roof.&nbsp; The output will be about 30V max to take advantage of the MPPT features.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I'm thinking that since the panel fastens around the perimeter, I don't really need to use a 39" x&nbsp; 54" piece of plywood because the panel sits up in the air and won't be touching anything underneath other than the edges... Is that correct?&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I was thinking of making a rectangular wood frame of 2x3s or 2x4 boards and securing it tightly to the roof rack.&nbsp; Then I can use extra Z brackets and hold the panel firmly to the wood with long bolts and locking hardware.&nbsp; I'd thought about using plywood but was concerned it might be heavy and prone to sagging a little.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Does this approach&nbsp;sound reasonable?</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks for the advice you folks offer.&nbsp; It's much appreciated.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

I think the 2x3s would work great. I don't know that you even need a frame. I think a pair of 2x3s the right length bolted between the ladder racks would be all you need. Just use L feet to bolt into the frame of the panel and then into the 2x3. Because of the destructive power of the sun and weather, I would use treated wood and paint it as well.<br><br>However, let me throw in a different angle. I would give serious thought to covering the whole roof with plywood attached to the ladder racks by 2x4s. The reason is to put the roof in shade all day. Plus, you can put the panel in the middle so people don't see it. I did that with my cargo trailer. Go to this page and scroll down and you can see a picture of how I did it.:<br>http://www.cheapgreenrvliving.com/Heat_Cold.html<br><br>

<p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">i like the plywood approach - 4x8 sheet @ 5/8 or 3/4....</font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">&nbsp;</font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">being an x-builder i&nbsp;tend to overbuild things; i would use three ladder racks....</font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">&nbsp;</font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">paint the plywood with bright white and thru bolt or clamp to ladder racks....</font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">&nbsp;</font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">my "2 cents"....</font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><b><font size="1">blkjak....</font></b></p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Great idea!&nbsp; Yep, the plywood idea would definitely be nice for&nbsp;shade purposes. It's not that much more weight and would help with the stealth aspect.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks for the advice.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">B</p>

<P>Since some have voiced concerns about hail damage to their panels, why not bolt a sheet of plywood down on your rack and then get another sheet and half it and attach it to the first sheet at the edges of the solar panel with hinges so they could be folded over the panel to protect it.&nbsp;Though I don't have any panels to worry about, I'd thought of doing something similar to extend the plywood out over the sides of my truck to cover the windows to keep rain out and to shade the sides of my truck cap. Then fold&nbsp;them back up for traveling.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>

Or a sheet of plexiglass or lexan over the panels? My bus roof is quite high, and I occasionally catch a stray branch when on dirt roads or tight back roads, so this is the approach I plan on when I mount my panels permanantly. Right now, they are stowed when traveling and pulled out and deployed when parked.

Most if not all high end panels come with a protective tempered safety glass over the solar cells to protect it from up to dime sized hail...<br><br>there is very few places that have monster hail. so just be aware of where you are and the time of year...<br><br>

Steve, we had 2 1/4" hail a few weeks ago in S.Pittsburgh, Tn. You can't always see it coming, and I don't have " high end" panels.

<p style="margin: 0px;">I'm still carrying dents in my 2008 Impala from golf ball sized hail that came from a freak spring storm in Apri 2011... You just never know when or where it will happen.&nbsp; I haven't decided on the type of hail protection plan but I do like the idea of a plywood cover that latches down.&nbsp; Then I can open it up&nbsp;when parked.&nbsp; It would also make the installation a little less visible.&nbsp; Something competely detachable might be a thought, too...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">As always, I am a little concerned about the weight aspect... The top cover needn't be too heavy - just well secured.</p>

Like I stated if you are in monster hail territory then rethink your efforts to keep your solar panels intact... Its is kind of like if you dont do tornado's dont visit tornado alley...<br><br>
Les H said:
Steve, we had 2 1/4" hail a few weeks ago in S.Pittsburgh, Tn. You can't always see it coming, and I don't have " high end" panels.