NEED 2ND SOLAR PANEL ADVICE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blars said:
Not knowing exactly what you have (internally, not marketing lit), it's hard to recommend anything.  If it has a MPPT controller, you want to match Vmp between the panels as close as possible for best efficiency, but a few tenths of a volt isn't a big deal.  PWM is less picky,  Vmp within a volt or so should be fine.  Store at 100% is for lead-acid, not lithium.  LiFePO4 can be charged to 98% with voltage as low as 13.6V, but it takes longer.  Anything over that is a compromise between battery life and charge time, but recommendations have trended down from 14.2V to 13.8V over the past 5 years.  Other lithium chemistries take different charge voltages.  

Shelf life is best at 20% to 80% charge and temperatures between 0C and 20C (32F to 68F).  A study on this is pointed to by my LiFePO4 resources page on my blog.  Temperature makes more difference that state of charge.
Blars, I gotta go pick up my van and will answer when I get back or if I have wifi maybe before.