Need 12 volt compressor fridge to replace 2 way

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonna Jump

Reaction score
I have 200 watts of solar, and want a compressor fridge to replace the 2.7 cu 2 way in my class b. I figure I'll need a new inverter, mine's only 750 continuous, and not sine wave. My question is, what is a good fridge that won't cost in the thousands or use too many amps? I'll have to have it installed, electrical is beyond me I'm afraid. Thank you for your expertise!

well with a 12v you won't need an inverter. several makers have 12v compressor refers designed as drop in replacements. Norcold, Engel, Truck Fridge, Weaco, Indel and probably a few others. highdesertranger

An AC operated system with an inverter will save costs on the refrigerator end. I know people have done chosen that option. It's a judgment call based on your specific needs. Whether you need a pure sine wave or not is another good question. Looking for a cheap used refrigerator well under your 750 watt inverter usage shouldn't be too expensive. All things equal the power draw will be roughly equal, less a small amount of inverter efficiency loss.

Just FYI, I have an $80.00 unit from Wally world running off a 2000 Watt PWM inverter. Handles the startup just fine and total draw is .75amps

I have 240 Watts of panel with a PWM inverter :( will change to MPPT someday. But for now this and two Trojan 105's have worked for me.

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W8BLUG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and couldn't be happier. I don't even notice it drawing from the battery at all, I do plug it into my solar inverter, but you can use the d/c plug to your starting battery - uses very little energy. It's more than I wanted to spend, but eh it works well. I tried to be patient and wait for something on craigslist, but it just wasn't happening. Good luck.

That will pull down a starter batt pretty quickly, especially in hot weather.

Maybe 30-50AH / day, if you "don't notice" that kind of draw you've got a big setup, or no awareness of your true SoC.

John61CT said:
That will pull down a starter batt pretty quickly, especially in hot weather.

Maybe 30-50AH / day, if you "don't notice" that kind of draw you've got a big setup, or no awareness of your true SoC.

I'll second that, I have that exact fridge, if it is hot out (90's) and you have it set to 0 degrees for a freezer, it easily will draw > 50 AH overnight.