My solar panel system shut down/lost all power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to disagree although if you have a stout load on the LiFe battery then yes you could get caught with the pants down. I've been using Lipo batteries for 12 or more years now and the one quality a hobbyist wants is that flat line voltage as much as possible, yet if you use say 50%SOC on one you will definitely see a reduced standing voltage. LiFe doesn't do this? I tend to think that it does and I tend to think that even if they have the ability to really hold that flat line voltage, that under load you would see a drop in the reading.

Now just to be fair, I have not had the opportunity to work with one yet. There still out of my price range and my 4 year old T-105's are still giving me fantastic service. I will be looking long and hard at a Lithium alternative when t comes time, but I have to say those good old T-105's have certainly given me a good run for my money.

Bert and Yvonne Campers said:
My first thought would be the battery breaker or fuse has tripped. Since it was 4am when it happened, I assume it was dark and the controller was not getting any solar power. If the battery breaker or fuse did trip, you will need to figure out why. I would start by checking the physical electrical connections starting at the battery and working your way through the system. A loose connection at the breaker or fuse can cause excessive heating to the breaker or fuse and cause it to trip. Of course a fault within the inverter or in the wiring could also cause a breaker or fuse to trip.

It was low voltage that shut down the system, I later learned.

You reckon loose connections heating up will trip the fuses?.....I hope this is the case, otherwise my only other defense is a smoke alarm to warn me.

MikeRuth said:
I tend to disagree although if you have a stout load on the LiFe battery then yes you could get caught with the pants down. I've been using Lipo batteries for 12 or more years now and the one quality a hobbyist wants is that flat line voltage as much as possible, yet if you use say 50%SOC on one you will definitely see a reduced standing voltage. LiFe doesn't do this? I tend to think that it does and I tend to think that even if they have the ability to really hold that flat line voltage, that under load you would see a drop in the reading.

Now just to be fair, I have not had the opportunity to work with one yet. There still out of my price range and my 4 year old T-105's are still giving me fantastic service. I will be looking long and hard at a Lithium alternative when t comes time, but I have to say those good old T-105's have certainly given me a good run for my money.

I don'rt know what SOC means but under load the LiFeP04 does have a slight drop in the reading.

SOC status of charge, my lifepo4 always reads 13.1 volts when resting. Coulombmeter is the only way to be 100 percent sure of its SOC at all times. Very important during rainy,cloudy weather. 

I went through a week of rain and was able to keep my 220ah lifepo4 from going below 180ah by just monitoring the coulombmeter and reducing my power use. On first sunny day I got my battery back to 100 percent.

But for the coulombmeter to get an accurate baseline of a full lifepo4, it need the battery voltage to get up to 14.6 volts. I think in a previous post you mention your battery will only go up to 14.4 volts. Coulombmeter will still work on your battery just program the meter to make 14.4 volts a full battery, it'll count your amps, and be more accurate then a voltmeter.

tk15 coulombmeter
couombmeter.jpg

Attachments

• couombmeter.jpg
    couombmeter.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
jonyjoe303 said:
I think in a previous post you mention your battery will only go up to 14.4 volts. Coulombmeter will still work on your battery just program the meter to make 14.4 volts a full battery, it'll count your amps, and be more accurate then a voltmeter.

tk15 coulombmeter

Impressive memory, and very close. It gets up to 14.3 volts.

I've been in the semi-shade all day, and using power and now the battery is on 12.8 volts. The remote meter says 80% left, but we both know that is a lie. I better think about getting in the sun soon to charge up for tonight, or else I won't have no power.