My solar panel system shut down/lost all power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
I have a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter, a MPPT controller, a 160 watt single solar panel, and a LiFeP04 battery.

This morning at 4AM I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, so I decided to go on the internet, 5 minutes later my whole solar panel system dies on me.  No power to the controller or inverter.

I'm puzzled because the controller and inverter are two very different devices that do two very different things, and to have both devices lose all power at the same time is odd.

Since the only thing the controller and the inverter have in common is both are connected to the battery so I'm thinking it was a massive battery discharge?  And I assume both the controller and inverter shut themselves down?

Any thoughts or suggestions that you think might help will be appreciated. 

For me Christmas ended yesterday, but for you guys in the US it's the 25th and Christmas day, so Merry Christmas!!!

That would be the first place I'd look. Do you have anyway of checking the voltage on you battery bank?

I let it start charging again.  I now suspect low voltage cut off, shut down the system.

The battery light indicator is blinking on and off on the controller and the remote meter is indicating error with the battery.

Update: It was low voltage, it's been raining last couple of days and I guess I lost track of how much power I'd been using.

The red battery light is no longer blinking, it's charging fine now. 

I was panicking a bit because I was thinking worst case scenario the controller and inverter have been fried by a massive battery discharge and the protections all failed.

Just one more lesson in a lifetime of lessons to be learned. I am glad it was a simple problem with a simple solution. Good thing you did put a low voltage shut off into the system. Of course now you will be checking that battery monitor more often so that is one good thing that came out of this scare. Stay focused on the fact that you were wise to put in the safeguard. Now you have a tale to tell others when they ask for advice on putting together an electrical setup for their build.

I didn't put in any safe guards, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. I just hoped who ever made the devices had put in low voltage safe guards by default and looks like they did......it cut off at 12.1 volts. A bit high for a low voltage setting on a LiFeP04 though, however I'm not complaining.

glad it was minor. sounds like you need a battery monitor. thanks for the Merry Christmas and a belated Merry Christmas to you. highdesertranger

The Victron controller shows you exactly what you are using and what you are generating, and you can be the battery manager.

A rainstorm on the shortest day is tough. One more tomorrow.

Hi and Merry Christmas. I think your solar panels needed maintenance. I advise you contact to professionals they know what to do.

Just an FYI, I have three volt meters in my van, rear door area, center door and dash. I always know at least the standing voltage of my system.

DLTooley said:
The Victron controller shows you exactly what you are using and what you are generating, and you can be the battery manager. 

A rainstorm on the shortest day is tough.  One more tomorrow.

With a LifeP04 battery it's hard to monitor the power use because it doesn't show the battery percentage/voltage dropping slowly. It basically goes from "sweet as" to low power critical in 30 minutes.  Because a LifeP04 maintains voltage and holds it at a certain level, then drops off quickly when it gets to 20% power left (from memory).

So no amount of monitoring it will give an accurate reading.  I basically have to keep rough tabs in my head on how much power I'm using.

ricardo said:
Hi and Merry Christmas. I think your solar panels needed maintenance. I advise you contact to professionals they know what to do.

Nay it's just me thinking I've got an unlimited supply of power because I only run a laptop and recharge a electric toothbrush, mobile and kindle.

I don't take rainy days into account or that fact that I leave the laptop running with curiositystream on while I'm sleeping. Then I'm running around wondering why the solar panel system shutdown.

MikeRuth said:
Just an FYI, I have three volt meters in my van, rear door area, center door and dash. I always know at least the standing voltage of my system.

Yeah I have a remote meter that tells me that but with a LifeP04 I only get about 30 minutes warning before the low voltage trips. This is due to the LifeP04's maintaining the same voltage right down to 20% (or whatever the percentage is), then dropping quickly after that.

My first thought would be the battery breaker or fuse has tripped. Since it was 4am when it happened, I assume it was dark and the controller was not getting any solar power. If the battery breaker or fuse did trip, you will need to figure out why. I would start by checking the physical electrical connections starting at the battery and working your way through the system. A loose connection at the breaker or fuse can cause excessive heating to the breaker or fuse and cause it to trip. Of course a fault within the inverter or in the wiring could also cause a breaker or fuse to trip.