My Prius tent combo is coming together.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kygreg

Reaction score
Cheap Walmart tent coupled to the Prius gives me a huge living room.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_20180916_144606.jpeg
    IMG_20180916_144606.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20180916_144635.jpeg
    IMG_20180916_144635.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20180916_144643.jpeg
    IMG_20180916_144643.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180916_144622.jpeg
    IMG_20180916_144622.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 16
How long does it take to set up the tent and can you do it solo?

dhurtt said:
How long does it take to set up the tent and can you do it solo?

That's the downside. It takes all of an hour, start to finishing moving tables and chairs in. Cut that in half with 2 people. I can do it myself, but it's not easy. I'm 6'-2" tall and that makes a huge difference because the tent is very tall. I'm sure I'll get faster with time, but probably not by much. 

I will be using this car tent for single night stays while traveling so I don't have to set up the big tent. 

s-l640.jpg

I don't think my Rightline Gear SUV tent takes me that long to set up....My stuff is stored in milk crates which I transfer from the rear of the RV4 into the tent, then stack them on their sides to create a wall of cubbies. I leave the cot in the car and depending on how long I plan to stay, often set up a Bass Pro Shop Deluxe Kitchen along another wall. All that storage pretty much empties out the car, giving me plenty of space for sleeping in the vehicle and plenty of space in the tent for lounging, doing dishes, etc. I put a little aluminum side table up just outside the tent door and put a butane stove on it for cooking. (I remain in the tent and cook on the stove just outside through the partially unzipped door.)

TAILVEIL on a PRIUS.jpgI'd still like to see one of these in real life : tailveil.com
Comes with or without a rain fly.

Attachments

• TAILVEIL on a PRIUS.jpg
    TAILVEIL on a PRIUS.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 7
GypsyJan said:
I don't think my Rightline Gear SUV tent takes me that long to set up....My stuff is stored in   milk crates which I transfer from the rear of the RV4 into the tent, then stack them on their sides to create a wall of cubbies. I leave the cot in the car and depending on how long I plan to stay, often set up a Bass Pro Shop Deluxe Kitchen along another wall. All that storage pretty much empties out the car, giving me plenty of space for sleeping in the vehicle and plenty of space in the tent for lounging, doing dishes, etc. I put a little aluminum side table up just outside the tent door and put a butane stove on it for cooking. (I remain in the tent and cook on the stove just outside through the partially unzipped door.)

I am sure that your ridgeline tent is much better than this walmart special, I was unsure if this was the way I wanted to go. So I was willing to risk an $85 mistake, but not a $285 mistake. Have you used your tent in the desert? Were you able to stake it down well enough? Tell us about your experience. If I like the Prius tent set-up well enough, I'm happy to pay more for a better product.

Is there an easy way to 'un-hitch' the car and secure the tent, when you need to go run errands, buy groceries, escape a bad situation, or simply go for a sightseeing drive?

:huh:

tx2sturgis said:
Is there an easy way to 'un-hitch' the car and secure the tent, when you need to go run errands, buy groceries, escape a bad situation, or simply go for a sightseeing drive?

:huh:

Yes, just take the connector part off and zip down the rainfly portion, would take about 2 minutes to do.

kygreg said:
Yes, just take the connector part off and zip down the rainfly portion, would take about 2 minutes to do.

I have the TailVeil.

drbill: last Mar. I mentioned a TailVeil  in a post and you responded that you might get one. I'm just curious if you ever did and, if so, what's your opinion (?)
Thanks Ken in Anaheim

I did get one and I field tested it in Michigan for 6 weeks. It is a pain in the Butt. 

No setup instructions that are worth anything. 

Disconnecting the tent from the car when you need to go somewhere is not so bad but just try to Re-Align the car to Re-Connect when you get back. 

The tent barely fits 1 (ONE) Cot. 

When it rained I had to keep a bailing bucket handy. 
I find the TailVeil Holds Water Real Good to the tune of around 10 gallons. 

I also tested it out in Bluff, UT...For an hour. I found the TailVeil likes to collect Dirt. 

All In All I have to say I am really sorry I paid Money for this Blue Garbage and am thinking of cutting it up for the trash.

You Asked
DrBill~

As stated, disconnecting is easy...aligning the vehicle to reconnect is harder...then you have to wait til the exhaust pipe cools off first so you don't melt the tent material. So I make sure I have enough food, etc. for a few days so I don't have to reconnect. Or on occassions when I know I am going to be out and about a lot, I don't bother connecting it. I just set it up to stand alone and put a tarp over the wall with the connecting gear and tuck it in up top under the rain fly. I've had no leaks and a tiny electric heater kept it toasty when the temps dipped below 40 (Pensacola). I don't desert camp, so the heftier stakes from Walmart have been fine.

I like that it gives me a place to store the gear and holds the campsite when I am away for the day (or 2). I set it up as a base camp and tour the area in day trips. When I stay in one place for a week, I put down rubber flooring ("Puzzle" pieces) and an RV patio rug. Last year at a Christmas campout, I even had a tiny tree with lights and ornaments.

I did have raccoons invade and help themselves to the snack items once....but they were kind enough to use the door zipper and not make any new entrances.

When on shorter trips or weekends, I don't bother with a tent...just sleep on the cot in the RAV4. I pull out a plank stored under the cot which rests at one end on the cargo area above the rear bumper and on a small folding side table at the other end. That gives me a long counter/table on which to cook, eat, and do dishes, all under the raised rear door as protection from sun & rain. The milk crates form a sort of galley facing out from the rear of the cargo area. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done and only used stuff I already had.

DrBill, thank you for the real-life review.....think I'll start saving for a Kodiak !