MY PLANS ON HOLD....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riverman said:
I've been on thyroid meds for over 30-years.  No wonder I'm tired.

Where's the jaw dropping emoji ???   WOW   do you periodically have your blood checked ?

No, many children have autoimmune conditions. An autoimmune condition means your body is attacking itself. We don’t know why it does that. Sure stress exacerbates it but it certainly doesn’t cause it or the whole world would have it.

The immune system attacks intruders like colds, flu etc (otherwise we’d all be sick all the time) It protects us. But if you have an autoimmune condition the body has begun attacking itself. It can be any part of the body. My friend’s teenage daughter had an autoimmune condition of the cartilage of the body. Her ears looked like boxer’s ears. She had all the other symptoms fatigue, pain, inflammation etc. In MS it’s the nervous system, Rheumatoid arthritis the joints etc etc

Having a healthy diet is always good. But it’s not going to stop the process that is happening. Anymore than diet stops any illness.
My mother had the healthiest diet of anyone I’ve ever known but her hands are horrible from her rheumatoid arthritis all twisted and gnarled. She can barely walk with a walker. Because we don’t know what causes it we don’t know how to reverse it. The progression is individual to each person.

And when people talk about diet reducing inflammatory symptoms ok fine. Great. But inflammation is only one problem. Until we know how to stop the body from attacking itself we aren’t going to heal the illness.

It sounds like you did better resting. I’d work as long as I could stand it because you don’t know what’s coming up. Hopefully they get the dosage right and you’ll start having more energy. Very few doctors know how to treat thyroid they rely on TSH and they need to test T3 and free T3.

Well...I am never sick (knock knock)
Haven’t missed any work since now for 14 years at my current job...which involved taking care of a gentleman that had many strokes...I was his personal assistant....he recently died , so now I’m the housekeeper....for his millionaire wife ...

But anyways....I think all the stress has taken a toll on me...i go this Friday for another blood draw ....

Yes good post LERCA .

♥️

I think you just pinpointed part of the cause of your fatigue. The recent death of someone your life was involved with for many years. That is a huge change and that means stress and that means not getting good rest which means feeling exhausted. Part of your sense of purpose was suddenly gone, that means an adjustment of your inner balance of who you are in terms of what you do with your time and your emotional energy.

Of course a two week vacation was needed. Everyone needs a break now and again to recharge physically and mentally. A chance to rearrange the rooms inside our heads to make ourselves more comfortable. You had a major change in your work life and even if you do still go to the same place everyday, it amounts to a major change in your life. That adaptation is not instant.

maki2 said:
I think you just pinpointed part of the cause of your fatigue. 

Most likely...i went to the doc today and had more lab work done....i told her how i was back to normal, and her thought was being worn out from all the stress in my life, i could of caught some kind of virus, that made me tired (but i didn't feel "sick"...only EXTREME EXHAUSTION THAT WOULDN'T GET BETTER).   
ANYWAYS...it will be interesting to see if the blood work changed .

Today i looked at a truck from CarGuru......thinking if i'm gonna be in the high desert on rough terrain, i might be better off with a 4x4 ?   But it would be easier to LIVE inside a hightop van....so now another big decision i gotta make....but i could put a camper on top of the truck too.......

Gypsy108 said:
Today i looked at a truck from CarGuru......thinking if i'm gonna be in the high desert on rough terrain, i might be better off with a 4x4 ?   But it would be easier to LIVE inside a hightop van....so now another big decision i gotta make....but i could put a camper on top of the truck too.......
That's a tough one, but cargurus is the best to shop, IMO. Given where you will be relocating to, then a 4X4 would definitely be a huge boon. Plus there are mountains in every direction, and you'll want to be able to explore all over the place, and not worry too much about getting stuck. Plus there'll likely be snow some of the time. You'll find that in Colorado for instance, everyone seems to have a 4X4 SUV anymore.

Personally I think the best option will be a 4X4 pickup and pull a small trailer that you could live in while you're building the adobe house. Some trailers are pretty tough and made to go into rough terrain.

The problem with a cabover camper in the pickup bed is they are very top heavy and you might beat the heck out of them going off road, although I'm sure a lot of people do this. They are basically the same construction as regular RVs. If you could handle minimalism, there are lightweight popup campers that go on the pickup bed.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/four-wheel-pop-up-camper-504068
https://gearjunkie.com/four-wheel-pop-up-camper-truck-review
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...ehicles-composite-pop-up-truck-camper.193656/

Not many vans are 4X4, but there is the Quigley conversion that costs $9,000 or probably more.

http://www.quigley4x4.com/

A cargo trailer with an easy to remove interior bed, cabinets and such could be very helpful for hauling supplies to the building site as well as securing the tools inside of it.

It sounds like a super hard work but rewarding adventure to build an adobe home.

Likewise a 4X4 pickup truck would be invaluable for hauling material to the site. I do have a regular GMC Savana van, but if I had to do it over, I'd go with a 4X4 pickup and a small trailer, like a Casita or cargo trailer like maki mentioned. You can only go in so far on roads in the west with 2WD. Plus I've been stuck in sand.

i had one very old chevy pick up truck once....and i've driven big moving trucks...but i have never hauled anything like a camper behind one...but i am adventurous enough to try....and it does seem like the perfect solution. But i have NO IDEA when i'll be able to start building....i haven't even wrapped up the purchase of the land...i'm trying to sell my gold jewelry to come up with the whole shebang payment instead of making monthly payments...but it might come down to just making small monthly payments.

If you buy a small 16' or 18' trailer, you shouldn't have much trouble hauling it with a medium sized pickup truck. Always good to get a V8. And the trailer will be plenty big enough to live in. A larger trailer 24' or more longer will represent a totally different beast when it comes to hauling, and if you're going to have some sort of S&B eventually, I don't see much point in buying a big one in any case. But I'm used to minimalism too.

You might also post over to the "Choosing The Right Vehicle" section, as more people will be over there to proffer opinions.

Well....i just canceled the land deal. I am worried i am making a big mistake. Even if i went through with it, i would be responsible if someone got hurt on the property. There are no nearby hospitals. I worry that it's such a remote place, filled with dangers (bears, cougars, rattlesnakes, scorpions, hunters, etc.etc.etc.)

I will gladly contribute, if HOWA found some land .

I'm just worried now about everything, and it's putting too much stress on me.
Right now, i have a comfortable roof over my head, running water & a toilet...haha...and i am near a hospital if i get sick. Just too many potential things that could go wrong and leave me stranded and helpless.

I think it's smart to keep a home and then travel as you wish. I've worked for 49-years and won't be without a place to call home.

Gypsy108 said:
 Just too many potential things that could go wrong and leave me stranded and helpless.
Yeah, too many things piling up at the same time. The future is a huge unknown. The best way to proceed is always one step at a time, if you can manage it, and not simply jumping into the deep end head first. A lot of people on this forum did just that, kind of swayed by "glamour and emotion", and now have 2nd thoughts.

So work at making plans over time, and gradually transitioning into things. Buy a van or pickup truck, whatever works, and ease into it. A minivan is also a good option. And travel when you can. I still live in S&B (but greatly downsized too), bought the van 2 years ago, and now travel about 4 months out of the year. That's a good formula for me.

I agree with a step at a time approach.

Moving into a vehicle and buying 10 acres seems a bit like hurling oneself off a cliff.

Two huge unknowns.

One at a time is more reasonable.

And, if you haven’t left the dude, that would seem the logical first step, and it will be a biggie.

Get some support around you, go and stay gone.

Good luck.

Ownership of property certainly does come with a lot of responsibility and liability. But that is why homeowner's liability insurance is available, to relieve some of that worry and stress. When I had some workers helping out on a remodel I temporarily increased the liability part of my homeowners insurance just in case one of them got hurt. So that part can be dealt with to protect yourself. It is nice to work with a local insurance agent when possible, it makes such adjustments to a policy a little easier when you have the agent acting as your advocate.

But of course there is no "I have to buy property" mandate in your personal life. It is simply one option of many that is available to you and they all have advantages and disadvantages.

the past week i've been just appreciating what i have now....but i know i have gypsy blood in my veins, and one day i will find the courage to leave....the only thing i am really attached to is the toilet & shower....haha..all other material things i will not miss (I'm gonna take my mattress though)....peaceful sleep is VERY important to me....i never worry about weirdos and weird stuff happening when i go to sleep in the house i live in....i hope i can sleep like a baby when i am a nomad too....otherwise i will be in my kung-foo mode 24/7....lol

HAPPY 2020 TO EVERYONE  :heart: :heart: :heart:

Happy New Year.. I have had no problem sleeping in my van ... I don't worry about what's going on outside much.. just park in what looks like a reasonably safe place and lock the doors.

"the past week i've been just appreciating what i have now....but i know i have gypsy blood in my veins, ...".

Gypsy, don't get caught up in the "emotion" of the lifestyle emanating from this forum ... best times of your life, blah, blah. There are some full timers here, but I figure the vast majority are part timers who live in S&B most of the time. Plus not everyone (especially lone women) do well with full timing. 

If you can find reasonable cost S&B accommodations, like in a smaller town rather than a city, then you can have the ability to travel more and maybe satisfy your Gypsy soul as a part timer. You can just camp out with a tent, or sleep in your car which some solo women do. And then camp mainly in established CGs, which is what I largely do when in the national forests. Always nice to have a toilet nearby. Better to ease your way into the lifestyle than jump in the deep end right off, in any case.

You might be interested in this woman's travels.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG_GabIBd_cIU6mKckySX0g/videos